United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:22:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177175 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: June 12, 2016, 06:19:43 PM »

How has the leave side addressed the issue of British citizens losing EU rights to retire in southern Europe without having to get a special non-EU citizen residence permit? I would think this would be an appealing argument for the remain side to appeal to older-middle aged voters.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #351 on: June 13, 2016, 05:12:05 AM »

How has the leave side addressed the issue of British citizens losing EU rights to retire in southern Europe without having to get a special non-EU citizen residence permit? I would think this would be an appealing argument for the remain side to appeal to older-middle aged voters.

No, at this point, the debate has largely come down to the Leave side repeating "Take back control! Immigration!" and the remain side repeating "The economy the economy the economy."

I think any subtlety in the debate died along time ago.

No-one seems to have cottoned on to the fact the the leave side are now claiming that if EU immigration is reduced, then there can be more immigration from the rest of the world, even though non-EU migration is actually higher then EU migration.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #352 on: June 13, 2016, 07:34:53 AM »

Cameron prefers trying to scare the older population into voting Remain by stating their pensions would be at risk if Brexit happens.

There's nothing this idiot won't say in order to try to win this referendum.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/11/brexit-axe-state-pensions-david-cameron-nhs-cold-reality
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #353 on: June 13, 2016, 10:34:38 AM »

High Anxiety Over Brexit Survey Crashes U.K. Pollster’s Site

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-13/high-anxiety-over-brexit-survey-crashes-u-k-pollster-s-website
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #354 on: June 13, 2016, 10:35:54 AM »

Cameron prefers trying to scare the older population into voting Remain by stating their pensions would be at risk if Brexit happens.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/11/brexit-axe-state-pensions-david-cameron-nhs-cold-reality

It's entire up to the British parliament whether those things happens, no matter if it become a Yay or a Nay. So don't see this as a hollow warning of doom, you should instead see it as the threat it is.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #355 on: June 13, 2016, 11:22:59 AM »

New Guardian/ICM has it 53/47 for leave.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #356 on: June 13, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »

What are the figures with undecideds?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2016, 12:14:45 PM »

Online poll full figures: 49/44

The phone poll is certain to vote only (which explains the low undecideds figure). For everyone it's 46 L 43 R.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2016, 12:18:01 PM »

If the remain campaign wants any shot at this they have to get David Cameron to shut up and let someone else be the figure head for the campaign
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #359 on: June 13, 2016, 12:58:33 PM »

The trouble with Cameron is that he's spent years drumming up the case against the EU in order to please his backbenchers (including over issues so minor that they might as well be fictional) and haggle for his fake 'deal', only now to turn around and argue in favour of it. Which is why it has been completely disastrous to have him as the media focal point of the Remain campaign (it doesn't help, of course, that 'vote this way, David Cameron says so' is not very convincing to Leftish voters who aren't sure if they're going to vote or how they're going to vote).

But anyway, if its a vote to leave it will basically be by accident, if it's a vote to stay in it will be by grudging default. And I think by now we can be sure that the aftermath will be a mess no matter what.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »

It's that and how he has become unhinged and hysterical over it, threatening ww3 and launching a personal attack campaign against Boris Johnson
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2016, 01:12:30 PM »

All senior Conservatives (the Member for Uxbridge & South Ruislip absolutely included) have sounded at best unhinged during the campaign.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #362 on: June 13, 2016, 01:53:45 PM »

Incidentally, why have no MEP's bothered to have a role In the campaign? You'd think that the remain campaign would want to show our democratic representatives to people sceptical of the EU as a mysterious distant black box.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #363 on: June 13, 2016, 02:18:33 PM »

Incidentally, why have no MEP's bothered to have a role In the campaign? You'd think that the remain campaign would want to show our democratic representatives to people sceptical of the EU as a mysterious distant black box.

Nigel Farage and Dan Hannan have both played a pretty big role.

At which point there is surely something to say about Nigel Farage seeming reluctance to ever attend the parliament he was elected to be a representative in.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #364 on: June 13, 2016, 02:47:13 PM »

Labour rebels hope to topple Jeremy Corbyn in 24-hour blitz after EU referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/labour-rebels-hope-to-topple-jeremy-corbyn-in-24-hour-blitz-afte/

Looks like there might be turmoil on the LAB side as well if Remain loses.  Of course my understanding that in a re-vote of registered and affiliated supporters Corbyn  will win again by a wide margin.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #365 on: June 13, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 02:53:44 PM by ag »

Well, he is right. England without the EU (I am not sure, we should be still talking of UK in that case, in a historic sense) wold be a poorer country with higher inflation, and, yes, pensions would be difficult to pay. I guess, they would meet the obligations by inflating, while playing with inflation adjustment numbers to make the real pensions smaller, rather than repudiating them outright.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #366 on: June 13, 2016, 02:50:37 PM »

They have not. I guess, they will be surpised when grandma shows on their doorstep asking for an attic to stay in.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #367 on: June 13, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »

Nigel Farage and Dan Hannan have both played a pretty big role.

At which point there is surely something to say about Nigel Farage seeming reluctance to ever attend the parliament he was elected to be a representative in.

Exactly the problem. Why is Remain not trumpeting EU Remainers bragging out their achievements in parliament on defending British interesta and then saying "if we leave we follow the same rules ... but have no say".seems like a common sense argument if I was a campaigner.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #368 on: June 13, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »

They have not. I guess, they will be surpised when grandma shows on their doorstep asking for an attic to stay in.

Only the poorer English "expats" ergo the ones having a pension under 25 000€ annual will have to leave Spain. Of course many British people will likely say of course Spain will make a exception for them. Personally I doubt it, a interesting aspects you discover if you know any in non-British "expat" community in Spain, is how badly the Spanish talk about the British expats, you usual don't hear the same about the other groups, but for some reason the British is really unpopular. I don't know why, and neither did any of the Danish expats I know who have lived in retirement in Spain.

So people shouldn't be surprised if UK fail to reach a agreement with Spain about their expats.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2016, 06:05:02 PM by ChrisDR68 »

All senior Conservatives (the Member for Uxbridge & South Ruislip absolutely included) have sounded at best unhinged during the campaign.

Hardly surprising.

The schism in the Conservative Party happened largely due to the Maastricht Treaty. Ever since then hatreds and resentments have been bubbling under only to be unleashed full scale by this campaign.

Also don't forget UKIP wouldn't exist at all but for that treaty. This whole thing has been 24 years in the making.

Even if Remain win on June 23rd this issue won't be going away anytime soon.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2016, 06:16:48 PM »

A source within the remain camp said Downing Street had shifted from being “utterly convinced” of victory in the referendum battle, to a “blind panic”. The source claimed that strategists had convened an emergency meeting on Friday, but a spokesman for Britain Stronger in Europe denied the suggestion.

The sense of panic among remain campaigners has emerged since Labour MPs started reporting negative feedback from voters in their constituencies. One senior figure in the party claimed that politicians all over the country, and particularly in working-class heartlands, had said that they believed their own areas would swing towards Brexit.

Another MP who is active in the remain campaign said the response from some constituents had been alarming, with some accusing politicians of being traitors for campaigning to stay in. He said the most noticeable message was about the idea that Britain could control its borders if it left the EU.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/13/jeremy-corbyn-to-flex-labours-muscles-in-eu-referendum-debate
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »

Well, Cameron, Osborne and much of the pro-remain camp in the Conservative party (excluding people like Ken Clarke of course, who have always been unabashedly for the EU) are, to quote Alliser Thorne, a bunch of f***ing traitors, in the sense that they've flipped from an strongly eurosceptic position to the classic europhile 'We love the EU, the EU is wonderful and if you want to leave it then you're a zealot/loony/bigot/dolt' position, with some vague promises of 'reform' (whatever that means) thrown in when absolutely necessary. They've essentially turned the agreed stance of the Conservative party (rhetorically at least) over the past 20 years, that we should remain in the EU and do everything we can to weaken it and obstruct any moves to federalism, on its head completely. I mean, given that, as Al said, Cameron has no actual long term strategy for anything, I can quite well see his metamorphosis into a shill for Brussels continuing on after this referendum (assuming that he somehow emerges strengthened from it, which thankfully looks unlikely). He can hardly, after fighting a referendum campaign in which he portrayed the EU as the Kingdom of Heaven, go back to a critical stance re it, especially given that doing so would also further undermine the credibility of his renefauxtiation of Britain's relationship with the EU, although that's basically a dead letter at this point.

I mean, I don't think they're traitors to this country or anything like that (and I don't begrudge genuine europhiles for holding that position), but they are traitors to the the traditional (in the last two decades) Conservative view on Europe, and to the vast majority of the party's membership and a majority of the parliamentary party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2016, 07:28:02 PM »

Any Labour source leaking to the Torygraph is probably not someone who's opinions are worth much fwiw.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:11 AM »

I hadn't realized that Murdoch was in favour of Brexit. Rather surprising to be honest.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #374 on: June 14, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »

I hadn't realized that Murdoch was in favour of Brexit. Rather surprising to be honest.

Are you being sarcastic? Cheesy

His newspapers are almost wholly Eurosceptic and have been for decades. Now it could be that the editors of these newspapers are following their reader's feelings on all things EU rather than leading them.

I generally believe that to be the case.

Giving their readers articles that reinforce attitudes and feelings they already have is probably judged to be good for those paper's circulations.

That's particularly true (in my opinion) of the Daily Mail.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies