United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:13:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 175442 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: June 23, 2016, 10:20:57 PM »

15 000 Euros lands you a flat in Thessaloniki,

You want that to be the price of a flat in Westminster?

Why not? At least everybody will be able to afford it.

It is 15,000 euro. Every German will be able to afford it.

EURO will be abolished by then.

Ok, DeutscheMarks. Germans will still be able to afford it. Doubt, though, about many British non-Royals.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1426 on: June 23, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »

Birmingham, England's second city, has gone for Leave with a majority of 3,000 votes according to ITV
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1427 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »

It is impressive what Farage accomplished.  Totally unexpected.

Farage may have failed to win an MP seat half-a-dozen times, but he won the one vote that mattered, it seems.

Hmm?

Farage didn't lead the Leave campaign (they actually tried to keep him off the airwaves as much as possible as he's not popular) and didn't trigger this vote.

Isn't the whole reason for the existence of this referendum the fact that Cameron saw it as an effective way to stop Tory voters from defecting to UKIP in the 2015 election?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1428 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:05 PM »

Should I start the "2018 UK EU Referendum Mark 2.0" thread yet?
Why not start an early general election thread, and a Conservative Party leader one at that.  One of those things will happen by the end of the month, and I hope the other could happen as well.

Both should. At this point, general election with new party leaders is the only decent thing to do.

And, of course, the new Scottish referendum thread should be started today.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #1429 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »

NORTHERN IRELAND VOTES REMAIN
More than 50% of voters have voted for Remain
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1430 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:31 PM »

Congratulations to all those who are no doubt delighted: Putin shills, PRC bots, trots, fascists, Nazis, reprobates, people who plan on being dead in the next year, anti-Semites etc

LOL!

Rrrrrrrule Britannia!

I dislike the idea someone like you who despises our country is singing Rule Britainia.

So? I really dont care what you think. I will sing it again. I learned the text at school, I also learned 'Land of Hope and Glory'. It were the english that fought at Arnhem, that liberated our country. I've always admired the country for its love of freedom and independence.

The dutch and the english had their differences in the past, but right now this referendum gives me and so many people in the Netherlands real hope that democracy isn't completely dead yet.

Because you want to see the UK fail (as for your support of this nights fruitless suicide), I highly doubt you care about this country at all.
Oh, come on, CrabCake. You know it's not this simple. People like DutchConservative and I, and, more importantly, many Britons, do care about your country. Some concerns about the EU are illegitimate, but many qualms to stay are. Let's not oversimplify this issue. There are "Little Englander" racists, but most Brexit voters are reasonable people who simply disagree with the Remain arguments, sometimes with arguments you yourself would agree with too.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1431 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:56 PM »

Birmingham, England's second city, has gone for Leave with a majority of 3,000 votes according to ITV

Wow.  Another deathblow to remain.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1432 on: June 23, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »

Hillarious.
Dutch Conservative
jwhueting
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1433 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »

People who warn for the economic consequences: I understand the argument. But 2 things:
1. This is about a much more fundamental choice: who governs us, how can the people control the government. Its more about that, than the economics.
2. The economic system is already broke: Germany has a negative interest rate, Yellen talks about helicopter-money, South Europe is broke with gigantic unemployment numbers, especially among youth.

Many people have this feeling: we cant go on in this direction. Combined with the open borders. People think: we must act now to set a different course.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1434 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:07 PM »

I'm now so excited for an independent Scotland.
dax00

« Reply #1435 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »

The pound sterling will return very quickly to $1.46 when all the REMAIN side realise that the EU are not going to be looking to punish the UK. It's a matter of efficacy.

And let Scotland stay in the EU. They seem to have voted for it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1436 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:51 PM »

Everyone cheering for economic destruction is hilarious utterly depressing.

Pound is the lowest it's been since 1985.

You realize they will not be able to afford to buy our stuff anymore right?

You do realize that the Pound is still stronger than the Dollar, right?  They'll be ok.

Framed. F in principles of Macro.

Well, good thing you don't have to be an economist to vote in the referendum!  It's about what the people want, not what the elites want.  Sorry the world doesn't bend to your will.

Sure. Couldnīt agree more fully. "Elites", BTW, will be, relatively, fine. It is the common folk that will suffer and die. But then, again, they wanted it. Perhaps they are doing all that just to kill their mother-in-law.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1437 on: June 23, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »

Why not start an early general election thread, and a Conservative Party leader one at that.  One of those things will happen by the end of the month, and I hope the other could happen as well.

Both should. At this point, general election with new party leaders is the only decent thing to do.

...which leads to the Irish Reunification referendum thread...

Wow, the UK is becoming Yugoslavia without the bullets.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1438 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:22 PM »

NORTHERN IRELAND VOTES REMAIN
More than 50% of voters have voted for Remain

Bit smaller of a win for Remain then was expected.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1439 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »

Many people have this feeling: we cant go on in this direction.

Well, you know the other direction. It was tried back in the 1930s.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1440 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:28 PM »

You do realize that the Pound is still stronger than the Dollar, right?  They'll be ok.

Well, good thing you don't have to be an economist to vote in the referendum!  It's about what the people want, not what the elites want.  Sorry the world doesn't bend to your will.

Oh, you must've been one of those kids who refused to wear his retainer or rubber bands during his braces phase, because you didn't want to, but once your teeth started shifting you started complaining again.

But the dentist was an "elitist" for going to school and knowing what he is actually talking about

Judging by your logic, you should shutup and never talk to me about politics again.  I have a political science degree!  I am the elite, I know what I'm talking about!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1441 on: June 23, 2016, 10:24:35 PM »

Don't worry, the elites will be fine no matter what happens. The poor and the middle class won't be, but they got what they want so it's all good. They just need to get poorer and they'll "feel the freedoms flowing through them" and be ok.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1442 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:04 PM »

The EU will go into the same trash heap as the League of Nations.  Total failure!

Yeah, and when the League of Nations failed, everyone lived happily thereafter.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1443 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:40 PM »

Isn't the whole reason for the existence of this referendum the fact that Cameron saw it as an effective way to stop Tory voters from defecting to UKIP in the 2015 election?

More about party management: the Europe issue has been utterly toxic for the Tories since the 90s and the promise of a referendum if the Tories won a majority was his way of putting the genie in the bottle.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1444 on: June 23, 2016, 10:25:59 PM »

Oh, you must've been one of those kids who refused to wear his retainer or rubber bands during his braces phase, because you didn't want to, but once your teeth started shifting you started complaining again.

But the dentist was an "elitist" for going to school and knowing what he is actually talking about

Judging by your logic, you should shutup and never talk to me about politics again.  I have a political science degree!  I am the elite, I know what I'm talking about!

Who gave you that degree? I will talk to him/her. They will be ashamed.

At least, never talk about economics.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #1445 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:14 PM »

lmfao, he has a poly sci degree
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1446 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:35 PM »

...which leads to the Irish Reunification referendum thread...

Wow, the UK is becoming Yugoslavia without the bullets.

Let us pray, it is without hte bullets. I would not bet on that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1447 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:57 PM »

Btw, Brum voting that way should at least shut up certain racist types. Certain minorities cannot have been overwhelmingly Remain if...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1448 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »

Sounds like you're the cheerleader groupie hanging around the high school QB. The elite is paying you to keep them elite.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1449 on: June 23, 2016, 10:27:07 PM »

lmfao, he has a poly sci degree

You're making my point for me.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies