United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:24:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 176879 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:41 PM »

Leave winning by over a million now.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1576 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1577 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:07 PM »

Everyone cheering for economic destruction is hilarious utterly depressing.

Pound is the lowest it's been since 1985.

You realize they will not be able to afford to buy our stuff anymore right?

You do realize that the Pound is still stronger than the Dollar, right?  They'll be ok.
That's not how any of this works... the strength of a currency is relative to its own previous values, not in absolute terms. Please learn before you attempt to make a point.

Derp.  I actually misread that and thought he was saying they wouldn't be able to buy their own stuff anymore, although I'm sure no one will cut me any slack!
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #1578 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »

Hillingdon (home of Boris Johnson's constituency) voted 56.4 OUT
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1579 on: June 23, 2016, 11:24:01 PM »

All in all, I am glad to see a victory for my side.
dax00

« Reply #1580 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:20 PM »

Pound will recover within days. Markets had priced in a Bremain, now we'll see a short correction.
Exactly. Today would be a very good day to buy GBP.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1581 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:29 PM »

I assume this country will be stripped of all international responsibility. How can it be trusted with a UN veto power if it literally decides to will be kinda fun to risk the world economy because "muh feels"? A sad, sad end for Britain's status as a global power.

Yeah, it would make more sense to give the UK's veto power to the EU now.

No give France's to the EU and the UK's to India. Not that either is or should happen.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1582 on: June 23, 2016, 11:28:23 PM »

I assume this country will be stripped of all international responsibility. How can it be trusted with a UN veto power if it literally decides to will be kinda fun to risk the world economy because "muh feels"? A sad, sad end for Britain's status as a global power.

Yeah, it would make more sense to give the UK's veto power to the EU now.

No give France's to the EU and the UK's to India. Not that either is or should happen.

That would be agreeable.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1583 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:12 PM »

https://twitter.com/ITVAllegra/status/746191648850206720

ITV is reporting that Cameron and Osborne are on their way out, and it will be a "dignified exit".

Wow.

Cameron will probably stay on as PM but resign a Tory leader pretty soon and a new leader and PM announced in time for their party conference in September.

Osborne's political career is over. Richly deserved for his disgraceful Remain campaign.
jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #1584 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:41 PM »

I wonder what other countries could get referendums after this I think Holland and France are somewhat likely

No.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1585 on: June 23, 2016, 11:44:00 PM »

I wonder what other countries could get referendums after this I think Holland and France are somewhat likely

Hopefully all of them.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:12 PM »

Hopefully all of them.

I think the Czech Republic is another in line for wanting a referendum.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1587 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.
How about English secession? It would be entertaining to see the United Kingdom of Wales and Northern Ireland using its UN veto to defend the Falklands from Argentine revanchinism.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1588 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:50 PM »

All in all, I am glad to see a victory for my side.

An instance where we agree.
Londoner2016
« Reply #1589 on: June 23, 2016, 11:46:33 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 11:48:52 PM by Londoner2016 »

What one forgets is that the referendum is non-binding and there still needs to be an act passed through the two chambers of the parliament. Plus, the result of the plebiscite is not really straightforward: only slightly more than 1/3 of the electorate has voted to leave, and 2 out of 4 nations have voted to stay.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1590 on: June 23, 2016, 11:48:32 PM »

The Pound Sterling has officially crashed everyone!

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1591 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 11:50:45 PM by Sbane »

So is it just me or does it look like Asian heavy areas didn't vote as much in favor of Remain as one would expect. Looking at Hounslow in particular but also Harrow and Ealing and Brent to a lesser extent. Also Bradford, Leicester and Birmingham results. A breakdown of Birmingham would be nice. Is differential turnout an issue?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1592 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:47 PM »

DOW Futures is down 700 points.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1593 on: June 23, 2016, 11:52:41 PM »

*anti-English bubbles

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1594 on: June 23, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »

*anti-English bubbles

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.

Why? Both countries clearly indicated they want to be in the EU. It is England and Wales that are secessionists. Scotland and Northern Ireland just want to preserve their national loyalties.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1595 on: June 23, 2016, 11:59:46 PM »

https://twitter.com/ITVAllegra/status/746191648850206720

ITV is reporting that Cameron and Osborne are on their way out, and it will be a "dignified exit".

Wow.

Cameron will probably stay on as PM

Sincerely hope this does not happen. He should resign, both as the PM and as an MP.
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1596 on: June 24, 2016, 12:01:44 AM »

Northumberland votes 54.1 OUT, and OUT has officially won.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #1597 on: June 24, 2016, 12:01:51 AM »

Let the Scots vote on independence. But this time around it'll be proper independence, complete with euro and oil at a fraction of the price where it was 2 years ago. Last time they couldn't even get a majority for independence lite, complete w/ Queen and pound and oil at >$100.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1598 on: June 24, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »

Let the Scots vote on independence. But this time around it'll be proper independence, complete with euro and oil at a fraction of the price where it was 2 years ago. Last time they couldn't even get a majority for independence lite, complete w/ Queen and pound and oil at >$100.

I am pretty sure they are happy to go for euro, Schengen, and the entire thing. They might keep Elizabeth I: Englishers do not have a monopoly on her anyway.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1599 on: June 24, 2016, 12:03:21 AM »

*anti-English bubbles

How in the world is it borderline insanity to defend keeping Scotland in the UK anymore? England is moving more and more to the right while Scotland is solidly progressive, and now England has dragged Scotland out of the EU. These countries are so overwhelmingly different and one has considerable power over the other. Scotland deserves a government that fairly represents then.

There have always been and will always be reasons in favor of Irish unification, and this is just another reason in favor. I would be surprised to see it happen, but obviously there is some significant difference of opinion between NI and England.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies