United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:58:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 176871 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: June 24, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »

Let the Scots vote on independence. But this time around it'll be proper independence, complete with euro and oil at a fraction of the price where it was 2 years ago. Last time they couldn't even get a majority for independence lite, complete w/ Queen and pound and oil at >$100.

I am pretty sure they are happy to go for euro, Schengen, and the entire thing. They might keep Elizabeth I: Englishers do not have a monopoly on her anyway.

Sure, which is why Salmond ran on a platfom of introducing the euro last time around...
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #1601 on: June 24, 2016, 12:04:53 AM »

So, why isn't the Isle of Man in this? Or for that matter, any of the oversea dependencies?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1602 on: June 24, 2016, 12:05:30 AM »

Let the Scots vote on independence. But this time around it'll be proper independence, complete with euro and oil at a fraction of the price where it was 2 years ago. Last time they couldn't even get a majority for independence lite, complete w/ Queen and pound and oil at >$100.

I am pretty sure they are happy to go for euro, Schengen, and the entire thing. They might keep Elizabeth I: Englishers do not have a monopoly on her anyway.

I hope Scotland keeps the monarchy. It's harmless and still good for tourism. Otherwise, by all means Scotland should get out.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1603 on: June 24, 2016, 12:06:46 AM »

If Scotland wants to peace out, they should drop the queen.  They won't deserve her at that point. I would hope she would reject them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1604 on: June 24, 2016, 12:07:33 AM »

So is it a done deal that the UK actually leaves, or is there some chance they'd ignore the results or hold another referendum?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1605 on: June 24, 2016, 12:07:45 AM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.

How in the world is it borderline insanity to defend keeping Scotland in the UK anymore? England is moving more and more to the right while Scotland is solidly progressive, and now England has dragged Scotland out of the EU. These countries are so overwhelmingly different and one has considerable power over the other. Scotland deserves a government that fairly represents then.

There have always been and will always be reasons in favor of Irish unification, and this is just another reason in favor. I would be surprised to see it happen, but obviously there is some significant difference of opinion between NI and England.

At the very least, one should consider changing the intra-Irish border. The one inherited from the past, clearly, as this referendum shows, is no longer tenable. Belfast and vicinity might stay English for a bit longer.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1606 on: June 24, 2016, 12:08:35 AM »

If Scotland wants to peace out, they should drop the queen.  They won't deserve her at that point. I would hope she would reject them.

They could take Prince William. He is a St. Andrews grad, if I remember it right.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1607 on: June 24, 2016, 12:09:34 AM »

Leave officially reaches the 16,800,000 votes it needs to be certain of victory. Just being announced on Sky right now.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1608 on: June 24, 2016, 12:10:12 AM »

If Scotland wants to peace out, they should drop the queen.  They won't deserve her at that point. I would hope she would reject them.

Scotland has just as much right to the monarchy as England does. King James was king of Scotland before he was king of England.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1609 on: June 24, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.

How in the world is it borderline insanity to defend keeping Scotland in the UK anymore? England is moving more and more to the right while Scotland is solidly progressive, and now England has dragged Scotland out of the EU. These countries are so overwhelmingly different and one has considerable power over the other. Scotland deserves a government that fairly represents then.

There have always been and will always be reasons in favor of Irish unification, and this is just another reason in favor. I would be surprised to see it happen, but obviously there is some significant difference of opinion between NI and England.

The leftist Scotland meme is not, really and truly, based in reality. Wales is certainly no more 'right-wing' than Scotland, yet it voted to leave the EU and is generally far more closely aligned politically with England. Scottish Nationalism is based on, well, nationalism, and the SNP is willing to mine all strands of political opinion in exchange for political support on the sole cause that it was created to advance, which is Scottish independence, hence why the party has been able to attract support in both former Labour and Tory areas. If Scotland votes to leave, sure, maybe the EU will be a factor (although I would like to point out that over a million Scottish voters also voted to leave), but the root cause will be the fact that many Scots feel they are a distinct nation from the rest of the UK and therefore should be independent, which, ironically, is not ideologically a million miles away from the position of staunch Brexiters re the EU.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1610 on: June 24, 2016, 12:10:45 AM »

Well, that was ... unexpected.

I thought the UK would vote to remain. Funny that the UK voted slightly more nationalist than Austria a month ago ... Tongue
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1611 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:55 AM »

I thought the UK would vote to remain. Funny that the UK voted slightly more nationalist than Austria a month ago ... Tongue

Stop.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1612 on: June 24, 2016, 12:14:29 AM »

Stop.

Huh
dax00

« Reply #1613 on: June 24, 2016, 12:16:54 AM »

Stop.

Huh
Don't be troubled. Smith's assertions at times are tired and emotional.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #1614 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:02 AM »

Best British divorce since 1533?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1615 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:20 AM »

Im not happy with the DOW futures.  Hopefully this is just a blip.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1616 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:32 AM »

So, why isn't the Isle of Man in this? Or for that matter, any of the oversea dependencies?

Isle of Man was never in the EU. Nor were any other British oversea areas, with the exception of Gibraltar (which did vote).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1617 on: June 24, 2016, 12:26:32 AM »

Awake already... probably head back to bed shortly but...

So is it just me or does it look like Asian heavy areas didn't vote as much in favor of Remain as one would expect. Looking at Hounslow in particular but also Harrow and Ealing and Brent to a lesser extent. Also Bradford, Leicester and Birmingham results. A breakdown of Birmingham would be nice. Is differential turnout an issue?

You are correct to observe this. And check out Luton and Slough. And Newham. And etc. Minorities in general turned out not to be a heavily Remain block at all. Suspect some Asian demos (which though?) may have been more than 50% Leave.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1618 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:16 AM »

Im not happy with the DOW futures.  Hopefully this is just a blip.

Roll Eyes
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1619 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:49 AM »

So is it just me or does it look like Asian heavy areas didn't vote as much in favor of Remain as one would expect. Looking at Hounslow in particular but also Harrow and Ealing and Brent to a lesser extent. Also Bradford, Leicester and Birmingham results. A breakdown of Birmingham would be nice. Is differential turnout an issue?

You are correct to observe this. And check out Luton and Slough. And Newham. And etc. Minorities in general turned out not to be a heavily Remain block at all. Suspect some Asian demos (which though?) may have been more than 50% Leave.

Well, I guess, it is not that surprising. They, actually, directly benefit fairly little from EU: if at all (at least, not in addition to the general British benefits from the union). A preferential deal with France is making things worse for Pakistan, not better.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1620 on: June 24, 2016, 12:33:43 AM »

I am not noticing any difference between national background (Indian vs Pakistani Vs Bangladeshi) or religion. Too bad there is no exit poll.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1621 on: June 24, 2016, 12:37:31 AM »

I am not noticing any difference between national background (Indian vs Pakistani Vs Bangladeshi) or religion. Too bad there is no exit poll.

Ward results would do but we don't even have those...
rob in cal
« Reply #1622 on: June 24, 2016, 12:39:36 AM »

What about the heavy remain vote in London?  Wouldn't that indicated that ethnic minorities voted strongly for remain?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1623 on: June 24, 2016, 12:39:46 AM »

Farage in @GMB: it was a mistake for Leave to claim there'd be £350m a week for NHS after #Brexit

Hmm
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #1624 on: June 24, 2016, 12:42:29 AM »

Don't let the DOW futures ruin your fantasyland celebration. There's no way those pesky "facts" about Brexit being bad for the economy were true...
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies