United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:56:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 176663 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: June 24, 2016, 08:41:35 PM »

LibDems should run in the next election on Europe.
To what end? Vote for us and we'll stop the exit? Can't see that going down too well, now that Brexit is decided I don't see a single issue libdem can run on
I imagine such a position would be very popular with some voters.  Even if that number is 20% of the electorate, that's a lot more than what the LibDems are currently getting.

Exactly. It will not be enough to win an election: so neither Labour, nor Tories will be able to adopt it. But LibDems, who have no chance to form the government on their own, may well increase their representation by it, clearly distinguishing themselves from the main parties. And, being firmly pro-EU they could, actually, condition their participation in a government, if coalition is necessary, on a repeat referendum - providing an excuse for whoever the PM is to run one.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1776 on: June 24, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 09:54:51 PM by TimTurner »

Quasi-Hot take: leave has little to no true mandate at this point and the Commons could do nothing wrong by ignoring the referendum.
Problem is, everyone has been acting as it has and so soon the effect will be that Leave has had a mandate all along.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1777 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:42 AM »

In both cases neither are likely to be in much trouble but the asymmetry is interesting.

It's because the one fits into a media narrative (largely driven by what many would like to see happen) while the other doesn't.

Weren't Tories split in half or so about the referendum? That's quite different from nearly all Labour MPs (including Corbyn, who is one of those in the party for whom opposition to the EU would have made some sense) being on the Remain side.

Again that's obviously not something we should blame Labour for, but it's a bit unnerving.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1778 on: June 25, 2016, 03:46:15 AM »

Hell also froze over today.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1779 on: June 25, 2016, 04:29:16 AM »

A month ago this would have been photoshopped as a satirical prediction of an absurd Brexit result.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1780 on: June 25, 2016, 04:35:43 AM »

The thing that really gets me is the dishonesty and fear mongering over Northern Ireland. There is absolutely not going to be border checkpoints set up. Absolutely no way. The most likely thing to happen is  there will be a passport required to travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

I don't get it. What was the point of leaving the EU if not to impose ridiculous border restrictions? Smiley

There will be border restrictions, but not between Northern Ireland and the Republic!  This has been stressed over and over again but the Bremainers willfully ignored it to stir up fear.

How on earth does that guarentee border restrictions espoused by the Brexiters?
Does that mean there is a border check between Northern Ireland and Britain?
Also, will Northern Irish people be allowed to work over the border and vice versa with guarenteed equal treatment?

You have no idea what you are talking about, so id like someone else to answer.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #1781 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:58 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 06:50:24 AM by Beezer »

Quasi-Hot take: leave has little to no true mandate at this point and the Commons could do nothing wrong by ignoring the referendum.
Problem is, everyone has been acting as it has and so soon the effect will be that Leave has had a mandate all along.

What exactly constitutes a "mandate" in your eyes? Would 55% have been sufficient? What about general elections? Is a majority of 1 MP not enough? Where do you draw the line? In light of such a lack of a mandate, do you advocate holding election after election until a party possesses not just a simple majority but a sufficient enough mandate?

We just had a referendum where people were asked about their stance on the country's EU membership. A majority voted to leave - and according to the rules of the referendum that sufficed.* End of story. This clutching at straws by focusing on a "mandate" is ridiculous.

* Entirely different question whether such basic questions ought to require a supermajority but in the context of this referendum that wasn't the case.
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1782 on: June 25, 2016, 06:46:34 AM »

To what end? Vote for us and we'll stop the exit? Can't see that going down too well, now that Brexit is decided I don't see a single issue libdem can run on
I imagine such a position would be very popular with some voters.  Even if that number is 20% of the electorate, that's a lot more than what the LibDems are currently getting.

Exactly. It will not be enough to win an election: so neither Labour, nor Tories will be able to adopt it. But LibDems, who have no chance to form the government on their own, may well increase their representation by it, clearly distinguishing themselves from the main parties. And, being firmly pro-EU they could, actually, condition their participation in a government, if coalition is necessary, on a repeat referendum - providing an excuse for whoever the PM is to run one.

That's like telling the Lib Dems to be pig headed and going for a strategy aimed at killing the party all together.

The UK is going to leave the EU (just listen to Jeremy Corbyn's speech today if you think it's not going to happen). Being stubborn about being "pro EU" is a complete platform non-starter.

The best the Lib Dems could do is bang on about seeking as deep a cooperative relationship with our European neighbours as possible from the position of being in an independent UK.

They see themselves as internationalist after all.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1783 on: June 25, 2016, 08:27:25 AM »

The thing that really gets me is the dishonesty and fear mongering over Northern Ireland. There is absolutely not going to be border checkpoints set up. Absolutely no way. The most likely thing to happen is  there will be a passport required to travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

I don't get it. What was the point of leaving the EU if not to impose ridiculous border restrictions? Smiley

There will be border restrictions, but not between Northern Ireland and the Republic!  This has been stressed over and over again but the Bremainers willfully ignored it to stir up fear.

How on earth does that guarentee border restrictions espoused by the Brexiters?
Does that mean there is a border check between Northern Ireland and Britain?
Also, will Northern Irish people be allowed to work over the border and vice versa with guarenteed equal treatment?

You have no idea what you are talking about, so id like someone else to answer.

Nobody has any idea what is going to happen. That is the point. Everything will have to be negotiated.
yourelection

« Reply #1784 on: June 25, 2016, 08:30:12 AM »

The vote to leave was an unexpected outcome. What this means for the European Union and the UK is up in the air. The fact the such an important decision is completely given to the voters is controversial. They should have some say, but how much weight should such a referendum have?

Didn't have chance to follow this live on the forum. I have put my ideas about the Referendum on the YourElection Blog for those who may be interested...

http://www.yourelection.net/2016/06/brexit-the-uk-votes-to-leave-european-union/
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1785 on: June 25, 2016, 08:30:50 AM »

I imagine such a position would be very popular with some voters.  Even if that number is 20% of the electorate, that's a lot more than what the LibDems are currently getting.

That's like telling the Lib Dems to be pig headed and going for a strategy aimed at killing the party all together.

The UK is going to leave the EU (just listen to Jeremy Corbyn's speech today if you think it's not going to happen). Being stubborn about being "pro EU" is a complete platform non-starter.

The best the Lib Dems could do is bang on about seeking as deep a cooperative relationship with our European neighbours as possible from the position of being in an independent UK.

They see themselves as internationalist after all.

48% of Brits have just voted to stay. Ok, Scots will not be a part of this anymore, and some of the rest will get reconciled to what is going on (in fact, increasingly pissed, as the consequences unravel). But there will be a good 25%-30% of the electorate that will remain very pissed. And it will be particularly concentrated in well-defined districts. For a minority party, this is a bigger niche than what they have now.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1786 on: June 25, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »

A month ago this would have been photoshopped as a satirical prediction of an absurd Brexit result.

I mean, it was extremely predictable. I have been puzzling all this time, why nobody in England cared.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1787 on: June 25, 2016, 08:45:23 AM »

The thing is: there's only a little mess now, because the Remain side insisted that there would be.

On a lighter note, have a look at this:

You do realize that the country is not England.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1788 on: June 25, 2016, 08:56:00 AM »

Some Labour people are suggesting that Labour's main pledge at the next GE should be to take us back in. Evidently they haven't seen the Nuneaton and Bedworth result.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1789 on: June 25, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »

Some Labour people are suggesting that Labour's main pledge at the next GE should be to take us back in. Evidently they haven't seen the Nuneaton and Bedworth result.

That is the beauty of it for LibDems. Labour cannot take this stand. LibDems can.

BTW, I would also try to poach a few particularly pro-EU MPs from both main parties.
vileplume
« Reply #1790 on: June 25, 2016, 09:34:28 AM »

That is the beauty of it for LibDems. Labour cannot take this stand. LibDems can.

BTW, I would also try to poach a few particularly pro-EU MPs from both main parties.

I seriously doubt there will be any lib dem surge though they may start to make steady progress. If the Lib Dems actually want to be an important part of our political system again they need to actually have an open and coherent ideology not be an 'all things to all people' party which was the reason they imploded during the coalition (look at the wildly diverging/random seats they held pre 2015).
ChrisDR68
PoshPaws68
United Kingdom
« Reply #1791 on: June 25, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »

I'm re-watching the referendum results programme on BBC Parliament right now. What is striking is the geographical spread of the Leave vote and how heavy it was in certain areas.

In many, many areas in north, south and in the midlands there were Leave percentages in excess of 65%.

There was a constant stream of blue (for Leave) showing up across the bottom of the screen from about 2am the whole time.

Some very large majorities in London and Scotland has masked what a hammering Remain took in most of England and Wales.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1792 on: June 25, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »

Some Labour people are suggesting that Labour's main pledge at the next GE should be to take us back in.

That's not going to happen.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1793 on: June 25, 2016, 10:09:33 AM »

I wonder what percent of English Labour voters voted for Brexit.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1794 on: June 25, 2016, 10:18:46 AM »

Some Labour people are suggesting that Labour's main pledge at the next GE should be to take us back in.

That's not going to happen.

Of course not. The only party that can do this now are the LibDems.
rob in cal
« Reply #1795 on: June 25, 2016, 10:23:22 AM »

Anyone have any feelings on what areas had the most surprising results?  Either in terms of turnout or outcome?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1796 on: June 25, 2016, 10:29:45 AM »

I seriously doubt there will be any lib dem surge though they may start to make steady progress. If the Lib Dems actually want to be an important part of our political system again they need to actually have an open and coherent ideology not be an 'all things to all people' party which was the reason they imploded during the coalition (look at the wildly diverging/random seats they held pre 2015).

They have just been gifted a very coherent ideology: Europe.
Sozialliberal
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1797 on: June 25, 2016, 10:45:17 AM »

I was surprised by the result of this referendum. It will definitely lead to much more bureaucracy for many businesses and migrants. I don't think that it's a smart move, but I respect the British citizens' will nonetheless.

There might be withdrawal referenda in some other EU member states, but you have to take into consideration that the UK has been arguably the most eurosceptic EU member. The only other state where I think such a referendum could succeed would be Denmark.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1798 on: June 25, 2016, 11:36:01 AM »

Regarding that petition, its now been signed by almost 2 million people. So 4-5% of registered voters, and almost 1 in 8 remain voters.

I dare say the wounds this referendum opened aren't going to heal any time soon.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1799 on: June 25, 2016, 12:06:44 PM »

Regarding that petition, its now been signed by almost 2 million people. So 4-5% of registered voters, and almost 1 in 8 remain voters.

Hopefully, these will be the new LibDem voters.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies