United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:57:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 175438 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1800 on: June 25, 2016, 12:08:24 PM »

Regarding that petition, its now been signed by almost 2 million people. So 4-5% of registered voters, and almost 1 in 8 remain voters.

I dare say the wounds this referendum opened aren't going to heal any time soon.

And how do we know all of the people that have signed the petition are actually British voters?

You know the remain side is clutching at straws when it is now brining out online petitions as evidence for why we need a 2nd referendum.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1801 on: June 25, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »

Regarding that petition, its now been signed by almost 2 million people. So 4-5% of registered voters, and almost 1 in 8 remain voters.

I dare say the wounds this referendum opened aren't going to heal any time soon.

And how do we know all of the people that have signed the petition are actually British voters?

You know the remain side is clutching at straws when it is now brining out online petitions as evidence for why we need a 2nd referendum.

There will be no 2nd referendum, unless one is forced by the results of a general elections. In fact, I suspect, once it fully settles in, it will be the Remain side that will force England to get out faster than the Leave side wants.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #1802 on: June 25, 2016, 12:12:40 PM »

This data would indicate that only a small number of actual signatories are British:

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":354634}
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215.json
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1803 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »

This data would indicate that only a small number of actual signatories are British:

{"name":"United Kingdom","code":"GB","signature_count":354634}
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215.json

You do know that all those places like "Putney" and "Aberdeen South" are in the UK, right?

No-one is really expecting a second referendum to come out of this, it is really more an expression of anger. There might be another referendum when negotiations have concluded, but that is a way off before even being considered.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #1804 on: June 25, 2016, 12:21:31 PM »

Btw, 1050 signatures have come from the Vatican (pop: 1000).
Dutch Conservative
jwhueting
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1805 on: June 25, 2016, 12:52:20 PM »

Hopefully, these will be the new LibDem voters.

Maybe they will. But the Tories from now on will be united as ever. The pro-Europe vote will be split between Labour, SNP and Libdem. So for the next ten years the conservative party will be the dominant party, i predict. By then, everyone will see that the UK will do just fine outside the EU. The Scotts will beg to return within the UK.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1806 on: June 25, 2016, 01:01:20 PM »

Maybe they will. But the Tories from now on will be united as ever. The pro-Europe vote will be split between Labour, SNP and Libdem. So for the next ten years the conservative party will be the dominant party, i predict. By then, everyone will see that the UK will do just fine outside the EU. The Scotts will beg to return within the UK.

More than half the Torie MPs are Remainers. What makes you think they'll suddenly aboutface?
Dutch Conservative
jwhueting
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1807 on: June 25, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

Because the leadership will be in the hands of mostly 'leavers'. Return to the EU is not a realistic option, so the party will focus on a good exit and effective measures to control the borders and benefit the economy. EU-membership will be no longer something to be divided about.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1808 on: June 25, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »

Tories will be very united: after a huge chunk of the party leaves. SNP will take over Scotland - no splintering there at all. England will be fine on the outside: merely somewhat poor and irrelevant, increasingly forgotten by the rest of the world.
Dutch Conservative
jwhueting
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1809 on: June 25, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »

Project fear is still running i see Smiley

Imagine this: the UK will do just fine, or even better, outside the EU. Can you imagine the reaction in other memberstates? The coming years will be so interesting...
rob in cal
« Reply #1810 on: June 25, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »

I wonder if the fear that a Britain out of the EU doing fine, and thereby creating an example for others, will influence the EU leadership to make Brexit a complicated and difficult process for Britain, so that it has less  chance to pull this off successfully.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1811 on: June 25, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »

More than half the Torie MPs are Remainers. What makes you think they'll suddenly aboutface?

Because Tory support for being in the EU was largely based on pragmatic rather than emotional reasons. There may be a few old-school europhiles in the party like Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine (who are now largely irrelevant), but the vast bulk of the parliamentary party and the party in the country are eurosceptic. Whilst many Tories (myself included) were leery about leaving the EU due to concern about what might happen if we do, now that we're out I imagine all but a small minority will attempt to work with the hardline anti-EU wing of the party to try and form a stable government and get a decent outcome from voting to leave.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1812 on: June 25, 2016, 01:58:55 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 02:01:02 PM by ag »

Project fear is still running i see Smiley

Imagine this: the UK will do just fine, or even better, outside the EU. Can you imagine the reaction in other memberstates? The coming years will be so interesting...

I can imagine lots of things, whether I consider them likely or not Smiley

England will do fine outside the EU. It will wind up following more of the EU rules than it follows now (e.g., it will probably join Schengen), and it will have no impact on formulating those rules. But on the surface things will not change much. They will be just a tiny bit worse than they would have been otherwise: but it will not be anything radical (except, of course, for the Scottish independence). I mean, people are unlikely to die if their incomes are 1% to 3% lower - nothing more radical than that. But in terms of "British independence" it will be exactly the opposite from what those campaigning for Brexit promised. England will be more dependent, more obedient towards Brussels - and it will have no say there whatsoever.

And, of course, it will not have Scotland.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1813 on: June 25, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-allies-sabotaged-labour-in-campaign-and-fuelled-brexit_uk_576eb1b5e4b0d2571149bb1f?edition=uk

Corbyn's seat is trembling as well
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1814 on: June 25, 2016, 02:13:07 PM »

Hopefully, he will be gone within a week.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1815 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:23 PM »

I cracked up at the phrase 'the online campaign to stop blaming him for Brexit'.
rob in cal
« Reply #1816 on: June 25, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »

Some more revote ideas.  How about Norway, which only narrowly rejected EU membership in 1994, and France which only narrowly approved Maastricht in 1992?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1817 on: June 25, 2016, 03:57:11 PM »

Hopefully Watson lives up to his reputation and gets rid of Corbyn-problem is that the Shadow Cabinet is made up of rather weak figures who lack the ruthlessness of Mandleson, Brown, Balls etc
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1818 on: June 25, 2016, 04:05:11 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 04:08:10 PM by ag »

Some more revote ideas.  How about Norway, which only narrowly rejected EU membership in 1994, and France which only narrowly approved Maastricht in 1992?

Or the Irish, who rejected the Nice Treaty in 2001 and the Treaty of Lisbon in 2008.... Oh, wait...

No, there is not likely to be a revote any time soon. Still, not unheard of.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1819 on: June 25, 2016, 04:14:27 PM »

Verhofstadt (the Liberal leader in European Parliament, former Belgian PM) wants to meet with Sturgeon soon. I think he will not be the only one Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1820 on: June 25, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 04:48:44 PM by ag »

So, poor Boris Johnson happens to live in London (ah, yeah, he used to be the Mayor, was he not?). Today he had some pleasant moments getting out of his home. I wonder, if he is going to find the city a very comfortable abode in the near future.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1821 on: June 25, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »

ComRes poll shows that only 1% of "Leave" voters have regrets about the decision (and 4% of "Remain" voters are happy with how things ended up): https://twitter.com/stephentall/status/746810127584464896
Omega21

« Reply #1822 on: June 25, 2016, 07:42:09 PM »

ComRes poll shows that only 1% of "Leave" voters have regrets about the decision (and 4% of "Remain" voters are happy with how things ended up): https://twitter.com/stephentall/status/746810127584464896
Why would they regret it, the Armageddon scenario which was proposed by the remain camp was just to scare people, aside from a temporary drop in the pound and a possible temporary hit to the economy thinks will be getting better.

Kind of funny how some people who have never been to the Uk or anywhere else in the Eu comment like they know whats best for them.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1823 on: June 25, 2016, 09:08:21 PM »

I wonder if the unexpected large vote for Brexit in Wales despite to low number of immigrants in Wales has to do with the fairly large number English immigration into Wales over the last couple of decades.  The Brexit vote in Wales might more be a vote for lower number of immigrants into England which in turn will drive down the number of English immigrants into Wales.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #1824 on: June 26, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »

It's fascinating to see how much vitriol, rage, and just overall hate that constantly emanates from the various camp. Something like EU membership is actually a serious policy issue, far away from most culture war wedge issues. I guess you could say immigration might play a role, but when Leave is headed by Boris Johnson, it doesn't seem to cut either way.

One of the amazing thing about our modern economic structure is that the major economic interests have gotten so many leftists to view neoliberal economics as a cultural issue (to be defended). You can't talk about things like trade anymore without the sneering of "left"-liberal commentators.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies