United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:27:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177154 times)
swl
France

« on: January 18, 2016, 09:26:17 AM »

http://openeurope.org.uk/blog/eu-wargames-simulating-the-negotiations-that-will-determine-britains-place-in-europe/
Open Europe summary of the negotiations taking place between the UK and the rest of the EU:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
swl
France

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »

For anyone on here that refuses to believe a federal European superstate is just around the corner here is a quote from pages 4 and 5 from the Five President's Report written by Jean-Claude Juncker published last JuneSad...]
However this paper is about the European economic and monetary union (=eurozone), so it does not affect the UK.
swl
France

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 09:45:30 AM »

Read that the remain camp suspended its campaign after a MP was shot by a far-right sympathizer. Sad story.
swl
France

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »

Dude I just said that the person who did it has nothing in his head, apart from being a psychopath and being able to kill for a political cause, which is sick on its own, he actually has not helped anyone from the Right Wing, he just made them look worse while destroying a innocent family because of his sick motivation.

Im curious what made him think killing someone would help any cause.
I guess you can say that of any terrorist.
swl
France

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:53 AM »

Farage in @GMB: it was a mistake for Leave to claim there'd be £350m a week for NHS after #Brexit

Hmm
So Farage basically said during his victory speech that it was a "victory against lies", and admitted an hour later on Twitter that his side was lying?
swl
France

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:24:32 AM »

we voted Leave, but both remain end leave camp ran a racist nasty and divisive campaign full of bullying and lies from both sides, which caused a deep divisions in the country.

I'm happy we voted leave, it's a no vote against the unelected 5 presidents in the EU, it's a no vote against the 10,000 bureaucrats the earn more then the Prime minster in Brussels, it's a no vote against capitalist EU that caused misery in Greece, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Its a no vote against big greedy multinational corporations of the likes of Goldman Sachs and JCB funded by the EU. It's a vote for sovereignty, democracy and accountability, it's vote for million of diffeffected, disenchanted and marginalized people in Europe. We will still  be good friends and partners, I hope Brussels up and smells the coffee.

Come on, you are the country of monarchy, peerage, the house of lords and the City. What you voted against is more British than European...
swl
France

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »

I think not much will change for British expats in the EU and EU expats in the UK. Boris clearly hinted that the UK will negotiate for a EEA style agreement, which means no restriction on free movement on both sides. It also means no restriction on free movement of goods, capital and services, so the consequences on the economy will be limited.
The most extreme brexiters who hoped to get rid of Poles or Bulgarians expats will be disappointed, but I think a good compromise will be found.
swl
France

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2016, 11:49:39 AM by swl »

This is vaguely interesting tweet storm on Brexit and the City of London by journalist Ben Judah: https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/748097437047332864

While it leaps into conspiracy theorizing in one or two moments, it's interesting as it makes clearer what exactly France and Germany would want for negotiating. Would be interested to hear thoughts, especially from ag.
In my opinion it's a normal negotiation process. If you read or listen to what Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt said in the last days, you could see that their starting point in the negotiations right now is all good for the UK and unacceptable for the EU. So the EU is also starting from a position that is all good for the EU and unacceptable for the UK.
Then they will have two years to find a middle ground that is somewhat acceptable for everyone.

It's like negotiating a salary during a job interview.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies