United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:28:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177609 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 23, 2016, 09:45:21 PM »

Where is Oldiesfreak? He said Remain would win

ayyyyy lmao
Don't count your chickens before they hatch...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »

I wouldn't call it just yet - substantial sections of East London are still out, as are Bristol, Cornwall, and traditional Tory areas that are a little more sceptical of leaving - furthermore, I think most of Leave's best areas have now come in. Still, a knife edge.

Still a fair bit of Essex/Kent to come, and a certain East London borough bound to vote Leave has yet to report.

I do agree though, neither side should count their chickens before they hatch.
And yet people are still doing that on Atlas forum. What a shock.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:43 AM »

My rationale for thinking MPs might not vote to leave the EU is predicated on two main factors.
1) The Tories being as disunited as they are seem unlikely to all vote for leaving.
2) A solid majority of opposition MPs might not support leaving, not wanting to open Pandora's box,and being more able to reject the referendum than the Tories, since they little role in the referendum.
These two factors taken together could result in a Commons vote initiating EU withdrawal to fail.
I could be wrong.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:29 AM »

Some Leave politicians suggesting the Article 50 not be invoked for a while... omg was this all a scam?
Hopefully Smiley
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »

My rationale for thinking MPs might not vote to leave the EU is predicated on two main factors.
1) The Tories being as disunited as they are seem unlikely to all vote for leaving.
2) A solid majority of opposition MPs might not support leaving, not wanting to open Pandora's box,and being more able to reject the referendum than the Tories, since they little role in the referendum.
These two factors taken together could result in a Commons vote initiating EU withdrawal to fail.
I could be wrong.

Really can't see how they can have a referendum billed as the most important vote in a generation and then go "whatever...we'll just stay in."
It wasn't binding. Also the opposition, especially Labour, was little involved. Safeguards need to be present from stopping someone like David Cameron from ruining the economy in this fashion, with his utter incompetence. This was a vote of humongous importance.
However it appears that scenario is not coming to pass.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:18:46 AM »

I could be wrong.

Really can't see how they can have a referendum billed as the most important vote in a generation and then go "whatever...we'll just stay in."
It wasn't binding. Also the opposition, especially Labour, was little involved. Safeguards need to be present from stopping someone like David Cameron from ruining the economy in this fashion, with his utter incompetence. This was a vote of humongous importance.
However it appears that scenario is not coming to pass.

Point is that there would be a huge outcry if parliament now turned around and disregarded the verdict, regardless of whether it was binding or not.
Perhaps. But it might not amount to much in the long run,which usually matters much more than short.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 02:19:41 AM »

Seems like, Cameron is doing the proper thing and resigning. Hopefully also from the Commons.
Yep. He was doomed the moment Leave was declared as winner.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 02:24:54 AM »

Cameron choosing to resign right now is irresponsible.  The country is in chaos!

The country voted itself into chaos. It is the voter choice. Not letting the country to fall into chaos would be a violation of basic democratic principles. The country will get what it chose.
Also, Cameron's incompetence during the referendum doomed any chance of him staying on afterwards. He has no moral authority.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »

Cameron choosing to resign right now is irresponsible.  The country is in chaos!

The country voted itself into chaos. It is the voter choice. Not letting the country to fall into chaos would be a violation of basic democratic principles. The country will get what it chose.
Also, Cameron's incompetence during the referendum doomed any chance of him staying on afterwards. He has no moral authority.

He called this referendum. He has to go.
Yes. Full agreement with you here ag.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 09:54:51 PM by TimTurner »

Quasi-Hot take: leave has little to no true mandate at this point and the Commons could do nothing wrong by ignoring the referendum.
Problem is, everyone has been acting as it has and so soon the effect will be that Leave has had a mandate all along.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies