United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:14:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177452 times)
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« on: June 26, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »

Regarding that petition, its now been signed by almost 2 million people. So 4-5% of registered voters, and almost 1 in 8 remain voters.

I dare say the wounds this referendum opened aren't going to heal any time soon.

It's fascinating to see how much vitriol, rage, and just overall hate that constantly emanates from the various camp. Something like EU membership is actually a serious policy issue, far away from most culture war wedge issues. I guess you could say immigration might play a role, but when Leave is headed by Boris Johnson, it doesn't seem to cut either way.

One of the amazing thing about our modern economic structure is that the major economic interests have gotten so many leftists to view neoliberal economics as a cultural issue (to be defended). You can't talk about things like trade anymore without the sneering of "left"-liberal commentators.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 01:15:16 AM »

Derpist, I wonder if its the case that basically anything that smacks of nationalism, even if driven by a huge working class vote and against the clear wishes of most of the wealthy, will now spark this strident opposition.

I think this has always been my problem with left-wing movements. You can't beat something with nothing. They may have a great deal many flaws, but things like traditional civic society (whether it be local community, religion, or inclusive nationalism) are some of the strongest constraints against powerful economist interests. So you have leftists who want to tear down those things because of their flaws...and they inevitably find common cause with corporate interests that want to tear down the last barrier to their unlimited control of society - and the two groups just meld together after a while because of tribalism and political polarization and stuff.

The only person who I thought made a good argument for Remain was Jeremy Corbyn, but his voice just got drowned out by the media narrative that everyone who didn't like the undemocratic, austerity status quo was some sort of racist and that you had to bend the knee or be punished by Ramsay Banker.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies