United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:14:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177574 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: June 08, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »

Maybe this will be the start of French style "overseas constituencies".

Gibraltar is far too small to be a constituency, no?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:18:46 AM »

Maybe this will be the start of French style "overseas constituencies".

Gibraltar is far too small to be a constituency, no?

Na h-Eileanan an Iar had a population of 27,684 at the 2011 census.

Gibraltar's population was estimated at 29,752 in 2011.

Really? Didn't know that it was that small.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:22:54 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2016, 01:25:35 AM by Simfan34 »

Wait, what? Didn't Owen et al break with Foot over, amongst other things, the precise issue of the latter's desire to pull the UK out of the EEC?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »

Or recognise any regional difference within England that taken seperately could also have 'swung' the result), we may start to 'feel the hate' a little up here which is probably a bigger catalyst for changing attitudes to independence than Scotland voting in, but being taken out.

You just have to have it both ways, don't you?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 04:19:27 AM »

The most important issues being the territorial integrity of the United Kingdom, this is a bad day. Even if you accept the idea that the EU is a net minus, it's not worse than having the country disintegrate.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:08:24 PM »

LibDems should run in the next election on Europe.
To what end? Vote for us and we'll stop the exit? Can't see that going down too well, now that Brexit is decided I don't see a single issue libdem can run on

I actually have a question relating to this very point.

Imagine a snap election is held in the near future. Assume it is more or less a single-issue election on how to manage Brexit, that I was/am firmly in the Remain camp, and  that the options are a Conservative Party led by Boris Johnson or similar (as "similar" as one can be to Boris Smiley) in regards to their stance on an actual Brexit being ultimately unclear, the Lib Dems with a Tim Farron pledging to "still make the case for Britain’s future with Europe, as millions of people voted for it" (as he said today), and a Labour either still led by Corbyn, or by a more vocally pro-EU figure?

For whom I vote? Would it not best to vote for the Tories, given Boris' apparent belief that the referendum could be used as a bargaining tool to extract more concessions for Brussels, rather than a Labour led by someone more likely to simply fold over and accept Brussels' terms, or by a Corbyn whose... well I can't really say what they'd be. I don't know.

I mean, my views on the referendum are clear: this is a terrible result, and the Leave side ran a fact-free, Trump-esque campaign. But it would seem that the party least likely to treat the result as binding-- aside from a hypothetical pro-EU Lib-Lab coalition that took its election as a mandate to nullify the referendum result-- are the Conservatives. I'm genuinely unsure.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies