United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:27:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 177247 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« on: August 15, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-nigel-farage-to-announce-plans-to-head-campaign-for-british-exit-10425255.html

According to a recent poll by ORB, 55% of Britons support staying in the EU and 45% support leaving the EU. 71% of 18 to 24-year-olds in Britain support staying in the EU, while 53% of those aged 65 and over support leaving the EU.

Interesting generational difference -I wonder why younger people in the UK are more supportive of the EU than their elders.
They understand their economic future depends on UK stay within a prosperous EU and that if the UK wants to remain a major global player it needs join hands with the rest of EU powers?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 07:09:48 AM »

I wonder how much correlation will be seen in London between the Remain/Sadiq vote and the Leave/Zac vote.
I think posh west end areas from Fitzrovia westwards would vote remain. Cetral\North London will be heavily remain and for the rest the closer you get to the home counties leave will prevail. I guess Romford and such will be >70% leave considering they're all daft West Ham pickles 
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 11:50:32 AM »

Im right but damn, this is sick.. Why would anyone from the Far Right do this, its just gonna hurt the Leave campaign?

This vote is important but not enough to kill for ..

cos britain furst u wog!!

sickening
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:11:35 PM »

I would say it's also a bit sick to discuss the implications of this at this time.
This is a political procedure forum, this is exactly the place we discuss everything.

Britain First message is ridiculous  
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »

Remain 52 Leave 48, all of my British mates from London are voting remain with all my chav friends fro the home counties voting leave. I reckon it'll be closer than predicted.
Remain win in: London, Cornwall, North East (by small margin), Scotland, NI, Wales (by a razor thin margin). Leave wins the rest.

Cameron still ousted within a year and Ukip will have a field day with the remain victory relying on the 'celtic' vote
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:04:32 PM »

Remain 52 Leave 48, all of my British mates from London are voting remain with all my chav friends fro the home counties voting leave. I reckon it'll be closer than predicted.
Remain win in: London, Cornwall, North East (by small margin), Scotland, NI, Wales (by a razor thin margin). Leave wins the rest.

Cameron still ousted within a year and Ukip will have a field day with the remain victory relying on the 'celtic' vote

The North-West (Liverpool, Manchester) is more likely to be Remain than Cornwall.

I know the EU splashed some cash in Cornwall to combat poverty in all sorts of programmes, and in a similar area of Wales with equal figures (low government spending, high EU spending) polls showed the voters leaning hard to remain. Add a distinct Cornish identity in this English campaign and you got the reasons I think Cornwall will vote remain
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:54:03 AM »

Whisper it quietly but there's actually a chance that a vote to leave the EU would not ultimately result in Britain leaving (i.e. if the terms negotiated were not popular, etc). The political consequences - especially within the Conservative Party - would be something else of course, Jesus.
low turnout and extremely narrow margin could make the referendum decision less stark and give rise to reason for Parliament to make it owns mind on the issue.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 02:17:26 PM »

So weather in London has been dreadful. Hot, humid, intermittent brutal showers, and flooding which has shutdown transportation. The boyfriend, who finished exams on friday and needed to get to South London to vote(he is for remain) is stuck on an Oxford to London bus for the third hour on what is supposed to be a 90 minute trip and is not half done. Odds of him getting to vote at all are probably around 40%, and he is far from alone. The nature of the electoral register, the need to vote at home, and the weather are meaning that the situation in London is bad.

London is mainly remain, right?

Think things like this will have a big impact on the vote?

Young remainers think they will. I personally suspect the impact will be marginal(10-15K reduced margin for Remain) though it will be concentrated among the loudest and politically engaged young voters. Oxbridge had their last exams today meaning anyone wanting to vote had to get home after exams which is looking impossible across the board. In the nationwide tallies, preventing Oxford students from voting really does not matter. Perceptionally it is huge.
Well around 30K England supporters in France probably mostly leave voters. This little dips go for both sides
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 02:23:58 AM »

Cameron is...resigning!
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:45 AM »

Losing Sheffield and other Labour strongholds up north tilted it here, if Cameron's gone Crobyn's chair shouldn't be any safer
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:44:55 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 03:47:01 AM by Hnv1 »

Not just Scotland, apparently Northern Ireland, even though they are still more supportive of Union, they are definitely going down a more nationalistic path.
Ulster Unionists wouldn't go for an independent NI it's an nonviable option. Staying with rUK isn't any better for them, sticking with Scotland makes sense but I can't see the republicans going with that.
Also good friday as far as I remember is breached when Brexit does happen. So the road to escalation is wide open
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 03:46:22 AM »

Losing Sheffield and other Labour strongholds up north tilted it here, if Cameron's gone Crobyn's chair shouldn't be any safer

Can you think of any potential Labour leader who could be any better at speaking to these constituencies, though?

Actually, I'm curious if Al thinks there is one. I haven't seen any but admittedly I don't follow British politics very closely.
Burnham from the last batch, Dan Jarvis from the MPs
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:53:01 AM »

Also, Sturgeon has said she has talked to Mayor Khan in London which is interesting.
Khan can't negotiate on behalf of London, they're not a city state, if goes for a separate arrangement than the UK I could well see it taken down by Parliament of the new Supreme Court
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:02:37 AM »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/sinn-f-calls-border-poll-re-assess-northern-irelands-place-uk

NI referendum coming?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 06:34:28 PM »

LibDems should run in the next election on Europe.
To what end? Vote for us and we'll stop the exit? Can't see that going down too well, now that Brexit is decided I don't see a single issue libdem can run on
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 02:12:10 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-allies-sabotaged-labour-in-campaign-and-fuelled-brexit_uk_576eb1b5e4b0d2571149bb1f?edition=uk

Corbyn's seat is trembling as well
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »

Going back to the results: Can someone tell me something of interest about St Albans? It gave the fourth best result for REMAIN (62.5%) anywhere in England outside London (EoL). Only Cambridge, Oxford, and Brighton did REMAIN do better. Yet it's not a University town and always considered it a well-off part of the commuter belt, the district as a whole elects two very safe Tory MPs - yet many similar places of that description voted LEAVE. So what's so special about St Albans?
I was around 3 months ago and noticed large amounts of commuters in the morning to St. Pancras, in business suits and all. So I assume a large amount of finance sector workers with high dependency on a stable economy. Also when you look at election results Labour and LibDem are doing fairly well here and it's not a deprived community. This is not a place of "Essex men" but more like many towns in the South West who voted remain
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies