Walker : Undecided on Iowa Straw Poll, May Skip FL Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:55:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker : Undecided on Iowa Straw Poll, May Skip FL Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker : Undecided on Iowa Straw Poll, May Skip FL Primary  (Read 954 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2015, 02:08:03 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/05/26/scott-walker-may-let-jeb-bush-and-marco-rubio-fight-over-florida/?module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=Politics&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »

Perhaps he can skip Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada too.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »

I was actually thinking about this a few days ago, where there's so many candidates that all of them decide to avoid states where they know it's almost impossible to win.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:41:11 PM »

I was actually thinking about this a few days ago, where there's so many candidates that all of them decide to avoid states where they know it's almost impossible to win.

I know candidates have skipped Iowa or New Hampshire relatively successfully in the past, but I think doing any more than that (and possibly doing even that, this time around) is basically admitting defeat. There are enough candidates in that some of them are going to run in all the primaries and have a degree of representation in all the caucuses. Skipping contests is going to look like defeat after other candidates with similar profiles make any showing at all.

In Walker's case, with his inept pre-campaign, coming out with a "strategy" that says "well, I don't have a chance in Florida" feels off-putting, in exactly the way a would-be president shouldn't.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:41:27 PM »

If he wins Iowa and New Hampshire, he doesn't need Florida.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »

Wait, he announced?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »

I know candidates have skipped Iowa or New Hampshire relatively successfully in the past, but I think doing any more than that (and possibly doing even that, this time around) is basically admitting defeat. There are enough candidates in that some of them are going to run in all the primaries and have a degree of representation in all the caucuses. Skipping contests is going to look like defeat after other candidates with similar profiles make any showing at all.

Candidates have skipped other candidates' home states plenty of times.

In any case, Florida is two weeks after Super Tuesday…the race may very well be decided by then, so what difference does it make.  Since it's Bush's and Rubio's home state, and it's WTA, Walker may only be competitive there if he's basically already won the nomination.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 02:54:30 PM »

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:08:48 PM »

To be honest, I would be okay with Walker skipping the whole primary.
Coming from a Republican I cannot stand Walker.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

Bachman's win has killed it. So far the only guy who has said he will compete in it is Trump, nuf said.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:17:15 PM »

No, he hasn't announced.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »

Candidates have skipped other candidates' home states plenty of times.

In any case, Florida is two weeks after Super Tuesday…the race may very well be decided by then, so what difference does it make.  Since it's Bush's and Rubio's home state, and it's WTA, Walker may only be competitive there if he's basically already won the nomination.

At which point, yes, it might make some sense to focus efforts elsewhere to the point of leaving Florida on its own. But to say, now, when he hasn't even announced that he's running, "Oh, I'll be skipping Florida and probably Iowa" is foolish and tone-deaf. Yet another mistake from Team Walker in the Invisible Primary, in my opinion.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:21:17 PM »

But to say, now, when he hasn't even announced that he's running, "Oh, I'll be skipping Florida and probably Iowa" is foolish and tone-deaf. Yet another mistake from Team Walker in the Invisible Primary, in my opinion.

He definitely won't be skipping Iowa.  He's said that he'll focus heavily on Iowa.  But the actual caucuses, not the August straw poll.  And he actually hasn't said that he'll "probably" even skip the straw poll, as you seem to suggest above.  He's just said that he's undecided on it, same as pretty much the entire rest of the field.  Only Carson and Trump have committed to competing in the straw poll so far.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:33:47 AM »

This has more to do with the Straw Poll being a total sham than any candidates deciding to skip the Iowa Caucuses.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies