Huckabee/Santorum
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:29:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Huckabee/Santorum
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huckabee/Santorum  (Read 914 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »

How would voters and the electoral map react to this Republican ticket, if it ever happens next summer?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »

By not voting for it.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

Poorly.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:21:12 PM »

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 03:23:43 PM »

a good way to get Hillary to about 55% nationally
CountryClassSF

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 03:38:13 PM »

How would voters and the electoral map react to this Republican ticket, if it ever happens next summer?

A Reaganesque victory uniting the Upper Midwest, South, and Rust Belt
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 04:16:32 PM »

You mean like this?

I agree, quite Reaganesque.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »

Um, no? 

CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 04:22:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes. I'm being serious. Look, the single-issue social leftists are not a swing bloc.  They're never voting Republican.  This was proven cycle after cycle when moderates avoided these issues like the plague and the numbers if anything shifted away from us.

Huckabee and Santorum's blue collar backgrounds help connect them with certain types of voters that have stayed home in recent cycles. We're not talking about winning New York and California. We're not talking about winning in Washington DC. We're talking about running up the margins  in rural PA and rural OH and rural FL precincts. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »

Yes. I'm being serious. Look, the single-issue social leftists are not a swing bloc.  They're never voting Republican.  This was proven cycle after cycle when moderates avoided these issues like the plague and the numbers if anything shifted away from us.

Huckabee and Santorum's blue collar backgrounds help connect them with certain types of voters that have stayed home in recent cycles. We're not talking about winning New York and California. We're not talking about winning in Washington DC. We're talking about running up the margins  in rural PA and rural OH and rural FL precincts. 

Most Americans don't believe Evangelicals are being persecuted; most Americans favor legalizing gay marriage; most Americans are not born-again Christians. 

The GOP already runs up the margins in rural PA/OH/FL.  They need to run up the margins in the suburban areas of those states to win.  You do that by being socially moderate and running a focused, disciplined campaign.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 04:30:15 PM »

It puts Wyoming in play.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »

I wonder what a midday 30 second spot goes for in the Cheyenne media market.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:32:42 PM »

Probably because they didn't read it in People Magazine or watch it on Bravo.  Run an ad showing what has happened to Christian bakeries.  Just because Santorum believes those things doesn't mean it's all he's about.

I remember in 2012, Santorum gave a speech on the economy. He was then asked about a social issue and he answered. Then he was asked why he talks so much about social issues. I don't see it in his speeches. He takes positions I like on these issues, but they are not the entire premise of his campaign.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:23 PM »

Doesn't Huckabee support a pedophile? If HRC did this she'd be lynched

And please-Huckabee/Santorum are not only shameless socons but they're also pretty crap politicians who can will simply be seen as GOP crazies ( as much as I dislike Mccain/Christie/Bush/Romney you could at least say they were managerial types.

And please countryclassSF, like all failed political 'experts' your floor is that your analysis often supports your ideology. Heck I'm not even from the states and I seem more in touch with the country than you do
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »

Probably because they didn't read it in People Magazine or watch it on Bravo.  Run an ad showing what has happened to Christian bakeries.  Just because Santorum believes those things doesn't mean it's all he's about.

I remember in 2012, Santorum gave a speech on the economy. He was then asked about a social issue and he answered. Then he was asked why he talks so much about social issues. I don't see it in his speeches. He takes positions I like on these issues, but they are not the entire premise of his campaign.

I think it's safe to say my political beliefs are far closer to the average American's than yours; if youo want a GOP win, you'd have to lock down voters like me and convince folks like King and ModerateVAVoter to support you.  That's just not happening with Huckabee/Santorum.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

CountryClass, you sound like you pretty much want the GOP to become a New Deal Coalition, LOL.  It's not happening.  Republicans don't want more fiscally populist policies (which is why I find it priceless when you call others "RINOs").  You'd have as much luck fighting the similarly uphill battle of getting the Democrats to embrace social conservatism.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »

Such a ticket would have some appeal to me.  I'm a socially conservative Democrat who has registered as a Republican and votes independently.  I realize I'm part of a dying breed.

Most folks who are "independent" voters or "moderate" voters arrive at it the other way around.  They are economically conservative who are liberal on social issues and not particularly religious.  They are folks who are either not churchgoers, or who believe that one's faith should be something of a private matter (the opposite attitude of proselytizing Evangelicals, whose calling is to Evangelize).  These, I believe, are the REAL independent voters, and THEY, unfortunately, will be turned off by Huckabee-Santorum, especially after the Duggar thing and some of Santorum's exotic Catholic beliefs get the full media treatment.  (That Hillary Clinton reportedly "channeled" Eleanor Roosevelt through some sort of medium is more understandable to these folks, who are a bit New Agey.) 

It wouldn't be a Goldwater loss, but such a ticket would probably lose all of the 2012 Obama states plus Arizona.  The Democrats would also be competitive in Indiana, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alaska as well.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »

Sorry bro, not happening. And your analysis isn't close to the truth.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies