LA labor leaders push hard for $15 mim wage, but hold on a second...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:44:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA labor leaders push hard for $15 mim wage, but hold on a second...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA labor leaders push hard for $15 mim wage, but hold on a second...  (Read 1643 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »

L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers
You must be logged in to read this quote.
and my favorite part
Indeed.  Except you don't need to be under a collective bargaining agreement for that to be a good thing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »

Stupid.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 03:15:33 PM »

Makes sense but the optics of it are bad.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

What a silly union.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »

I don't have a huge problem with a $10.10 minimum wage, because the market price for unskilled labor is such that this price floor wouldn't result in too much job loss.  On the other hand, evidence like this shows a $15 minimum wage can be a real problem for the marginally employed.  An effective or binding price floor on labor will result in an increase in unemployment, and $15 is just going too far.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 05:39:21 PM »

L.A. labor leaders seek minimum wage exemption for firms with union workers
and my favorite part
Indeed.  Except you don't need to be under a collective bargaining agreement for that to be a good thing.

If you think a single employee has enough clout and power to be able to reach a fair deal with an employer, you're quite naive, dead0man.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 05:43:09 PM »

All I wish to add to this discussion is that 'Rusty Hicks' is the perfect name for a union boss.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 06:24:11 PM »

I don't have a huge problem with a $10.10 minimum wage, because the market price for unskilled labor is such that this price floor wouldn't result in too much job loss.  On the other hand, evidence like this shows a $15 minimum wage can be a real problem for the marginally employed.  An effective or binding price floor on labor will result in an increase in unemployment, and $15 is just going too far.

Prices and wages tend to be higher in cities, as often are the requirements to live there. I have no problem with big expensive cities like LA experimenting with higher minimum wages than most other places.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »

All I wish to add to this discussion is that 'Rusty Hicks' is the perfect name for a union boss.

Wait.... that name....

(doing online research) I've met that guy. It was twice back in 2011. He was really nice and informative.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »

Rusty Hicks - how gangsta Cheesy
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »

This move is cynical and pretty much indefensible, to be honest.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »

Yglesias with the explainer:

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »

Prices and wages tend to be higher in cities, as often are the requirements to live there. I have no problem with big expensive cities like LA experimenting with higher minimum wages than most other places.

OK, perhaps $12 or $13 would be better?  But if we're at a point where unions want to negotiate lower wages, then we've overshot. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:44 PM »

"Explainer".
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 07:39:39 AM »

True, if you're comfortable with all of the jobs that have already been tossed in the bin. BLS estimates employment for 16-19 demographic to be 33% of what it was in the 1970s. We got away with minimum wage in the 1970s because we had no international competition. Lack of competition isn't the case today. Furthermore, what good did min wage do when Democrats raised in gratuitously in 2007? It didn't stop the recession and it made the sticky wage problem more acute.

Min wage is the laziest policy available to law makers. It allows them to shift their Constitutional obligations onto the private sector.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »

True, if you're comfortable with all of the jobs that have already been tossed in the bin. BLS estimates employment for 16-19 demographic to be 33% of what it was in the 1970s. We got away with minimum wage in the 1970s because we had no international competition. Lack of competition isn't the case today. Furthermore, what good did min wage do when Democrats raised in gratuitously in 2007? It didn't stop the recession and it made the sticky wage problem more acute.

Min wage is the laziest policy available to law makers. It allows them to shift their Constitutional obligations onto the private sector.

Most teens are students and choose not to have a job......my parents discouraged me from getting one (until now) as they wanted me to focus on academics.  This is more of a cultural shift if anything.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 01:05:38 AM »

Yes, there is a certain logic to it.  Except that, it implicitly recognizes that there may be other considerations which may be more important to a worker than receiving a certain amount in pay- which is precisely the possibility which the minimum wage would deny.  And while the collective in the form of the union has more power to effect, on the other hand it may not accurately reflect the needs and desire of the individual.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 01:48:04 AM »

Yes, there is a certain logic to it.  Except that, it implicitly recognizes that there may be other considerations which may be more important to a worker than receiving a certain amount in pay- which is precisely the possibility which the minimum wage would deny.  And while the collective in the form of the union has more power to effect, on the other hand it may not accurately reflect the needs and desire of the individual.

I'm not sympathetic to the union, but what you said here gave me some pause.  Ultimately, in a specific instance where a union is able to negotiate certain benefits (as an example, 6 months paid parental leave and 2 months paid annual vacation) they may be able to justify paying slightly below $15/hr.  But to be sure, the safest way to protect the general population who probably do not have a good union fighting for them is to mandate a $15/hr minimum wage.  It only takes a few bad outcomes to create a situation where workers would be offered food and accommodation to make up for lost pay.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2015, 01:45:55 PM »

dead0man, you are posting on an Internet forum, not Buzzfeed. Please consider this when selecting titles for your threads.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2015, 12:42:47 AM »

for a long time now, unions have agreed to concessions on wages-hours-working conditions that would be illegal but-for the fact the union agreed to it in a CBA.  see: salary caps/maximum salaries in sports.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies