Clinton lets loose southern drawl in South Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:43:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton lets loose southern drawl in South Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton lets loose southern drawl in South Carolina  (Read 2375 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/243240-clinton-lets-loose-southern-drawl-in-south-carolina

Hillary Clinton, who grew up in Chicago, spoke with a Southern accent during a swing through South Carolina on Wednesday.

At several points in her talk with minority women small-business owners, Clinton slowed her speech and lowered the timbre of her voice for a Southern drawl.

What an authentic breath of fresh air!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »

Yes, the comes and goes Southern accent is one of Hillary's few true weaknesses.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:09 PM »

Eh, it seemed like she was pandering here. Weird way to pander though, haha.

Honestly though, I don't really care about that. This isn't a substantive criticism. She's a poltician. Politicians pander. As long as their policies are in the right place when they enter the White House, I'm fine with it.

One substantive thing I did pick up here though is that Hillary mentions electing Democrats downballot as well, and makes a point of it. Is she really going to try to take back both the Senate and the House? Boy I hope so, but I'm starting to adjust my expectations to 2022 for taking back the House.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »

Wait... she did this again? Seriously? Scary...

Democrats sure got it good. MSNBC would be leading with this for weeks if a Republican ever did this. Or came close to do anything like this.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_accommodation_theory

This is normal, everyone does it. But continue to look for fake Clinton scandals.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »

This is normal, everyone does it. But continue to look for fake Clinton scandals.
^^
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »

Oh GMAFB, dude, this was hilarious.  She's clearly pandering.

You can insult a Democrat, Lief, it won't burn you.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »

Oh GMAFB, dude, this was hilarious.  She's clearly pandering.

Of course she's pandering, but who cares? This isn't going to change anybody's mind once they enter the voting booth in November.

Like everyone else has said, this is a non-story.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »

Well, she did live in Arkansas. It's not like she's completely alien to the south. While it's a bit cringey, she's not going to lose support because of it.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 05:12:24 PM »

Of course she's pandering, but who cares? This isn't going to change anybody's mind once they enter the voting booth in November.

Didn't say it'd affect anyone's voting, and it shouldn't.  I just think it's funny to watch people try to defend it.  It's okay to laugh at Hillary.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »

Didn't say it'd affect anyone's voting, and it shouldn't.  I just think it's funny to watch people try to defend it.  It's okay to laugh at Hillary.

My thoughts exactly.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 05:19:14 PM »

She just can't help herself. She's a crummy actor. 
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »

Is she going to say she was under sniper fire again as well to garner sympathy.
bobloblaw
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »

She does this because she is uncomfortable with who she is. She thinks she cannot connect. So she engages in these parodies of herself.
bobloblaw
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 05:35:38 PM »

Oh GMAFB, dude, this was hilarious.  She's clearly pandering.

He is from NY. No wonder the NYGOP is in the shape it is in
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

So Hillary cares about presentation in a way that she'll adjust her accent slightly to make her audience feel comfortable. It's an awkwardly endearing part of her personality, IMO. Shes allowed to have her quirks Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »

Guess what... people, often without knowing shift their accent to suit their audience. Lord knows I do it... or have been told so.

If people are going to hyperventilate every... single... time... that Hillary opens her mouth, I really recommend investing in a paper bag company.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »

Guess what... people, often without knowing shift their accent to suit their audience. Lord knows I do it... or have been told so.

If people are going to hyperventilate every... single... time... that Hillary opens her mouth, I really recommend investing in a paper bag company.

It's not a hyperventilation. It's showing you what  a GOP candidate would be mocked ad nauseum for and derided as "fake" when she gets essentially a free pass. I'm surprised TheHill.com, a far-left outlet, covered this
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »

Well, she did live in Arkansas. It's not like she's completely alien to the south. While it's a bit cringey, she's not going to lose support because of it.

Did Howard "Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!" Dean tell you that she wouldn't lose support?
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »

She's done for. #Bernie2016
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »

It's not a hyperventilation. It's showing you what  a GOP candidate would be mocked ad nauseum for and derided as "fake" when she gets essentially a free pass. I'm surprised TheHill.com, a far-left outlet, covered this

I loathe fake folksiness because most of the time it's intended to deceive by presenting the person as someone they're not. George Bush, for instance, really made people think of him as some sort of folksy Texas cowboy who lived on a ranch, instead of a spoiled New England / Yale dynast.

With Hillary, everyone knows she doesn't have a southern accent normally and of course she knows no one is going to think she speaks this way normally. So it's more of a personality quirk than a misrepresentation. Lief's link is actually correct... When I find myself in a group of people with a certain lingo/slang or accent, I've found myself adopting the same before too, because that is just how communication happens in that group. Of course, I don't know if code switching is Hillary's reason because I'm not her, but that seems like the most likely cause.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »

Uh, The Hill is not far left...
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 05:08:13 PM »

Wait... she did this again? Seriously? Scary...

Democrats sure got it good. MSNBC would be leading with this for weeks if a Republican ever did this. Or came close to do anything like this.

One of your candidates is currently defending a pedophile, and you think adopting an accent is the most important issue? Roll Eyes
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »

One of your candidates is currently defending a pedophile, and you think adopting an accent is the most important issue? Roll Eyes

And we all know that a Democrat candidate for President would never defend a pedophile.

"In a sworn affidavit aiming to coerce a psychiatric evaluation of the sixth-grade victim, [Hillary] Clinton during the case nearly 40 years ago called into question the girl's emotional stability, arguing she had exhibited "a tendency to seek out older men and engage in... fantasizing." She added, citing a child psychology expert that "children in early adolescence tend to exaggerate or romanticize sexual experiences and that adolescents with disorganized families, such as the complainant, are even more prone to such behavior."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-stands-by-her-defense-of-1975-rape-suspect/
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 05:20:29 PM »

And we all know that a Democrat candidate for President would never defend a pedophile.

"In a sworn affidavit aiming to coerce a psychiatric evaluation of the sixth-grade victim, [Hillary] Clinton during the case nearly 40 years ago called into question the girl's emotional stability, arguing she had exhibited "a tendency to seek out older men and engage in... fantasizing." She added, citing a child psychology expert that "children in early adolescence tend to exaggerate or romanticize sexual experiences and that adolescents with disorganized families, such as the complainant, are even more prone to such behavior."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-stands-by-her-defense-of-1975-rape-suspect/

I suppose you think those accused of pedophilia shouldn't receive legal representation. Why do you hate the constitution?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies