Clinton lets loose southern drawl in South Carolina (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:34:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton lets loose southern drawl in South Carolina (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton lets loose southern drawl in South Carolina  (Read 2410 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: May 27, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

So Hillary cares about presentation in a way that she'll adjust her accent slightly to make her audience feel comfortable. It's an awkwardly endearing part of her personality, IMO. Shes allowed to have her quirks Tongue
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »

Guess what... people, often without knowing shift their accent to suit their audience. Lord knows I do it... or have been told so.

If people are going to hyperventilate every... single... time... that Hillary opens her mouth, I really recommend investing in a paper bag company.

It's not a hyperventilation. It's showing you what  a GOP candidate would be mocked ad nauseum for and derided as "fake" when she gets essentially a free pass. I'm surprised TheHill.com, a far-left outlet, covered this

I loathe fake folksiness because most of the time it's intended to deceive by presenting the person as someone they're not. George Bush, for instance, really made people think of him as some sort of folksy Texas cowboy who lived on a ranch, instead of a spoiled New England / Yale dynast.

With Hillary, everyone knows she doesn't have a southern accent normally and of course she knows no one is going to think she speaks this way normally. So it's more of a personality quirk than a misrepresentation. Lief's link is actually correct... When I find myself in a group of people with a certain lingo/slang or accent, I've found myself adopting the same before too, because that is just how communication happens in that group. Of course, I don't know if code switching is Hillary's reason because I'm not her, but that seems like the most likely cause.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies