IA-Selzer & Co.: Walker +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  IA-Selzer & Co.: Walker +7
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA-Selzer & Co.: Walker +7  (Read 787 times)
Gallium
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2015, 05:24:33 PM »

http://images.businessweek.com/cms/2015-05-30/150530_gop_final_v2.pd

Walker - 17%
Carson - 10%
Paul - 10%
Huckabee - 9%
Bush - 9%
Rubio - 6%
Santorum - 6%
Cruz - 5%
Trump - 4%
Christie - 4%
Perry - 3%
Fiorina - 2%
Kasich - 2%
Graham - 1%
Jindal - 1%
Pataki - 0%
Gallium
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2015, 05:45:05 PM by Gallium »

Fav/Unfav:

Walker: 66/11 (+54)
Rubio: 60/17 (+43)
Carson: 56/15 (+41)
Cruz: 59/20 (+39)
Huckabee: 61/30 (+31)
Perry: 59/29 (+30)
Santorum: 56/28 (+28)
Jindal: 43/19 (+24)
Paul: 55/34 (+21)
Fiorina: 41/29 (+12)
Kasich: 25/16 (+9)

Jeb: 43/45 (-2)
Graham: 22/38 (-16)
Pataki: 10/35 (-25)
Christie: 28/58 (-30)
Trump: 27/63 (-36)

Also there's some Selzer Index; I have no clue how it's calculated, but it's Selzer so I'll trust it means something:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-05-30/scott-walker-has-early-lead-in-iowa-poll-as-jeb-bush-faces-challenges
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »

The other candidates better find a way to go negative on Walker and soon.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 05:46:55 PM »

I could see some of the other "moderates" like Bush or Kasich attacking him for being unpopular enough for a recall election.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 05:54:39 PM »

I could see some of the other "moderates" like Bush or Kasich attacking him for being unpopular enough for a recall election.
The Recall election had nothing to do with Walker's popularity as much as it was Wisconsin's incompetent dem party throwing a temper tantrum
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 06:52:33 PM »

That won't work.

The best way to attack Walker is to bait him into saying stupid things.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »

Bush's favorability was 50/28% in their October 2014 poll, and now it's 43/45%.  Pretty remarkable collapse, given how the campaign is still in the early stages.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 07:11:58 PM »

Bush's favorability was 50/28% in their October 2014 poll, and now it's 43/45%.  Pretty remarkable collapse, given how the campaign is still in the early stages.

Yeah, I'm curious what's driven it. Bad press for his fumbled Iraq answer? Maybe his immigration views becoming better known?

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 07:18:50 PM »

Praise Selzer!!

Bush's favorability was 50/28% in their October 2014 poll, and now it's 43/45%.  Pretty remarkable collapse, given how the campaign is still in the early stages.

Yeah, I'm curious what's driven it. Bad press for his fumbled Iraq answer? Maybe his immigration views becoming better known?

It's definitely a puzzling question. I don't think the latter is enough to change voter's minds nor do I think that has happened. It could be a good bit of the first though. Even if they support Iraq as much as people say they do, they may not see this as a winning strategy. Beating Clinton after 8 years of Obama seems to be pretty important. Moderates that can't win are useless if a more conservative candidate stands a better chance.
It may just be horrible press in general. Plus he's considering skipping Iowa. They can't take too kindly to that. Gotta make nice with those voters. (Though they are falling everywhere so more of the horrible press in general)
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2015, 07:23:46 PM by bballrox4717 »

Bush's favorability was 50/28% in their October 2014 poll, and now it's 43/45%.  Pretty remarkable collapse, given how the campaign is still in the early stages.

I don't understand how some people didn't get this was coming. W Bush was regaining popularity by staying out of the fray and being personable, not because of renewed support for his presidency. Jeb has basically doubled down on the unpopular parts of his brother's presidency and has given bumbling, flip flopping answers in interviews. He's also seems much more elitist and has a less engaging personality than George.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 07:23:35 PM »

Well, October was back when there was still a great deal of uncertainty as to whether he was even going to be running at all.  It was before his December Super PAC launch.  So back then, most voters probably knew very little about him besides his last name.  Now that he's (effectively, though not yet legally) running, he's gotten himself into the "moderate" niche, and GOP voters who know more about him know not just about the Iraq thing, but also immigration, Common Core, etc.

I've said this before, but people who say "McCain and Romney won the nomination, so that proves that the GOP nominates `moderates'" miss the key point that McCain* and Romney did an awful lot of pandering to the party base.  They were `moderates' who ran as `conservatives'.  Bush isn't doing all *that* much pandering, at least not yet.  He's got to sell out more, if he wants to win.

* McCain 2008 is a bit more complicated than Romney 2012 in this regard.  Romney 2012 was a straight up pander-fest in the primaries.  McCain 2008 started that way, but after his campaign imploded in Summer 2007, he went back to mavericky-ness on certain issues, like climate change, at least for a while.  Still, he was the uber-hawk of uber-hawks during the Iraq War surge debate.  What is Bush's issue like that?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »

Walker has staying power in IA. He's had a fairly solid lead there for 3 months, even though he hasn't announced yet. Definitely not a flavor of the month.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 02:06:27 AM »

Walker has staying power in IA. He's had a fairly solid lead there for 3 months, even though he hasn't announced yet. Definitely not a flavor of the month.
That doesn't speak much to his ability to win outside of Iowa though.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »

Well, October was back when there was still a great deal of uncertainty as to whether he was even going to be running at all.  It was before his December Super PAC launch.  So back then, most voters probably knew very little about him besides his last name.  Now that he's (effectively, though not yet legally) running, he's gotten himself into the "moderate" niche, and GOP voters who know more about him know not just about the Iraq thing, but also immigration, Common Core, etc.

I've said this before, but people who say "McCain and Romney won the nomination, so that proves that the GOP nominates `moderates'" miss the key point that McCain* and Romney did an awful lot of pandering to the party base.  They were `moderates' who ran as `conservatives'.  Bush isn't doing all *that* much pandering, at least not yet.  He's got to sell out more, if he wants to win.

* McCain 2008 is a bit more complicated than Romney 2012 in this regard.  Romney 2012 was a straight up pander-fest in the primaries.  McCain 2008 started that way, but after his campaign imploded in Summer 2007, he went back to mavericky-ness on certain issues, like climate change, at least for a while.  Still, he was the uber-hawk of uber-hawks during the Iraq War surge debate.  What is Bush's issue like that?

Bush seemed to recognize that McCain and Romney couldn't, in the general, recover from their pandering in the primaries, and he openly declared his strategy was not to pander. But he has here or there anyway e.g. the religious freedom bill. (Not that he was insincere, just appeasing the religious base) and assume he will do so the more he struggles, whether or not he competes in Iowa.

What really drives the flavor of the month thing is candidates falling apart on a debate stage, under media and rival scrutiny and attack ads. It's still too early to know how Walker will withstand any and all of that but his press stumbles show signs that he could implode. As does the still relatively little scrutiny he's gotten. I haven't seen anyone here talking about the shady loan his economic council gave out to his donor but there's a pretty strong whiff of corruption around Walker that could blow over or could turn out to be a serious problem for him. His leading for a few months in the first half of 2015 doesn't tell us much about how that will play out.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »

He deserves bad press for fumbling that question. If he is as muddled as his brother on foreign policy or economics we cannot trust him to do any better this time except through pure luck.

Losers bet on luck.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies