Cory Gardner's Crusade to Ban Condoms Continues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:42:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cory Gardner's Crusade to Ban Condoms Continues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cory Gardner's Crusade to Ban Condoms Continues  (Read 5157 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/05/22/gop-introduces-sham-birth-control-access-bill/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:11:53 PM »

And my esteemed senator has joined the crusade. I should have seen it coming after the NHGOP put a condom ban in its platform and Guinta refused to answer whether he supported it or not.

Better stock up if you're in NH.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:14:07 PM »

The GOP wants a baby boom -- I wonder whether it's for cannon fodder or cheap labor.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2015, 06:29:58 PM by Torie »

Well, OK, what's the deal?  None of this makes sense. Making birth control pills over the counter, rather than prescription, should facilitate access and lower costs, right? Sure, it probably does. So what's the problem?

After reading the damn article and all, the deus ex machina of it all emerges. Obamacare doesn't cover OTC drugs for some reason, so we need to keep it all more expensive and subject to a having a doctor write a prescription, so that it all will be paid for by a third party. We live in a crazy world. It seems to me the problem here however is with the provision in Obamacare. Maybe the same folks bitching about this one, should focus their ire on that little Obamacare lucunae. Just a thought.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »

We told you people this would happen. I went to the CVS today and already the condom shelves were completely barren. People are surely stocking up.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:26:39 PM »

We told you people this would happen. I went to the CVS today and already the condom shelves were completely barren. People are surely stocking up.

Would you mind taking a snap of those barren condom shelves with your cell phone camera Lief, and posting it here? Thanks!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »

Torie, few, if any, insurers cover OTC drugs so it's hardly fair to blame Obamacare for that provision.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »

How is not having my tax dollars to pay for your sexual habits equate to a ban on your birth control choices?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »

I told you he was a phony. Looks like the mighty moderate didn't wait too long to show his true colors.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »

Proposed Bill: Removes government barriers which make birth control more expensive.

Democrat response: Well, it should be totally free (like everything) so this is now bad even though we totally would have supported this 10 years ago.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:37 PM »

Would you mind taking a snap of those barren condom shelves with your cell phone camera Lief, and posting it here? Thanks!

Is this a sick fetish of yours, Torie?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »

Torie, few, if any, insurers cover OTC drugs so it's hardly fair to blame Obamacare for that provision.

Just because something is available over-the-counter doesn't mean that it can't be purchased through insurance with a prescription.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 06:28:49 PM »

God no, but Lief was doing his thing, so well, I thought I would do mine.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2015, 06:37:37 PM by Torie »

Except that Obamacare is subsidized by the taxpayers in the end, so it needs different metrics to work in a cost effective way, and it certainly should not retard getting as many drugs, devices, etc. out of the costly prescription world as sensibly possible. These lacunae happen, and it is hardly the worst flaw in Obamacare, so I am not traducing its drafters as to this particular bit, but when such lacunae surface, there are sensible fixes, and stupid ones. Keeping this all in the prescription side of the ledger as the fix is just plain stupid.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »

No, his fetish is drawing Republicans into a permanent, irreversible state of power.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 06:36:06 PM »

No, his fetish is drawing Republicans into a permanent, irreversible state of power.

LOL. Er no. Actually I like power moving back and forth between parties, all things being equal. And I am a registered Democrat now, so ponder that one. Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 06:38:18 PM »

I think we need to start passing constitutional amendments upholding the right to buy condoms. This is getting out of control.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:54 PM »

Proposed Bill: Removes government barriers which make birth control more expensive.

Democrat response: Well, it should be totally free (like everything) so this is now bad even though we totally would have supported this 10 years ago.

How does this have anything whatsoever to do with banning condoms?

-----------

This is not personhood, trolls, and even that does not ban condoms as I have explained numerous times. Please get a grip on reality.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 07:05:29 PM »

This is not personhood, trolls, and even that does not ban condoms as I have explained numerous times. Please get a grip on reality.
Wow, you're really bitter when you are proven wrong.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 07:12:41 PM »

Wow, you're really bitter when you are proven wrong.

I'm bitter on this because I am sick and tired of this forum obessing over Gardner and mischaracterizing him. Not supporting free birth control does not equate to an outright ban on birth control or condoms, or support for personhood. I get that Gardner used to support personhood, but he had a genuine change of heart and does not support it anymore. It's time to stop acting as if he's still a personhood crusader, and accept the reality that he no longer is and never will be again.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »

And my esteemed senator has joined the crusade. I should have seen it coming after the NHGOP put a condom ban in its platform and Guinta refused to answer whether he supported it or not.

Better stock up if you're in NH.

Just go to Vermont, I'm sure Bernie is handing them out for free. Though I fear that Ayotte will counter by setting up "prophylactic checkpoints" along the border.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 07:58:06 PM »

Sex should have a cost to it. A human cost...literally.

This is part of the same mentality that thinks sex is icky in any context, and is a necessary evil at best (because procreation or something). Also, something something the Bible.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »

Just because something is available over-the-counter doesn't mean that it can't be purchased through insurance with a prescription.

If the insurance does, but I've never had a plan which covered OTC drugs even with a prescription. Heck I remember being specifically declined coverage on a prescription that was written back in 1985, so non-coverage of OTC drugs is hardly anything new. Nor is people who want to stop having a drug receiving insurance coverage trying to get a prescription drug turned into an OTC drug anything new.  The only thing new is that the motivation for seeking the change is not economic.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 09:34:21 PM »

If the insurance does, but I've never had a plan which covered OTC drugs even with a prescription. Heck I remember being specifically declined coverage on a prescription that was written back in 1985, so non-coverage of OTC drugs is hardly anything new. Nor is people who want to stop having a drug receiving insurance coverage trying to get a prescription drug turned into an OTC drug anything new.  The only thing new is that the motivation for seeking the change is not economic.

There are often prescription-only versions of many OTC medicines that are covered by insurance.  It's usually cheaper to just buy things OTC, though, as the co-pays for the prescription drug usually are higher than the OTC cost.  And there are other things that are technically available OTC that most insurance covers with a prescription, like insulin.

If birth control is available OTC, I would expect actual costs to lessen, as there would be more competition.  I also would expect that the Obama administration would issue regulations requiring it to be "free" to those who buy with a prescription, if they can do so.    
CountryClassSF

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:00 PM »

Again, I ask, how is ME not paying for YOUR sexual habits equate to a BAN on birth control?

It is hard to follow the left-wing logic here.

If tax dollars don't pay for something, it's a ban on said item?  You can buy your condoms for all I care - just don't make the public treasury pay for your life choices.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies