Denny Hastert indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:58:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Denny Hastert indicted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Denny Hastert indicted  (Read 8037 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »

And it still says Democrat. They've had a day to correct it. That wasn't a mistake, that was on purpose.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2015, 03:51:38 PM »

The scenario is fiction. I was trying to reverse a scenario into one in which the blackmailed person was blackmailed for something not a crime. Having a black ancestor and hiding such for political reasons is no crime. Was it a perfect scenario? Of course not -- but one involving a combination of innocence but an understandable deceit.

The Feds take tax evasion and money-laundering seriously.  Someone living high on the hog without being able to explain how is probably cheating on taxes or (in some cases) the welfare system.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There was no excuse back then for a teacher having a sexual relationship of any kind with a student. See also Mary K. LeTourneau -- let alone Pamela Smart (who got her male underage lover to kill her husband -- for which she is in prison for life). Having been a substitute school teacher I recognize the potential to steer someone underage into an exploitative and illicit relationship that can badly hurt the child -- and can rightly cause me to do a very long stint in the state prison. It is enough for me to recognize that everything about such behavior is a disaster for everyone involved.  

Not as absurd as the idea that someone who eventually became Speaker of the House could have had a sexual relationship with a student while a teacher -- a betrayal of his profession and his relationship with a student.

Oh, by the way -- the alleged abuse of a youth was done in the 20th century.

Oh my gosh!!! When did I ever excuse the misconduct?! Please tell me. You are either insane or simply not reading what I am writing. We are talking about the 21st century!! This indictment is over an event in the 21st century - starting 5 years ago - that involves this man withdrawing less than 10,000 from a bank account to avoid detection so that someone can blackmail him and the person blackmailing him doesn't get caught. That is a horrible law when it is used to go after a victim! This is not about what was done in the 70s or whenever. Your appetite to extract vengeance on people who commit a wrong is obscenely high. There is a statute of limitations for a reason. What he did was wrong. He is for some reason paying for it 40 years later because he paid for it not to be leaked. There is nothing wrong with what he did. If he withdrew and paid all at once, he would be fine now.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »

After looking at what how Hastert got arrested (taking out under the 10,000 withdraw limit). Which is legal, but he took out like 3 million in like $9,200 withdrawments. I think that extortion is completely wrong, but Hastert has a right to pay blackmail if he would like to Tongue. I dislike Hastert, and if these allegations are true, then he is a scumbag and an awful person in general, but he technically shouldn't have gotten arrested for withdrawing under the limit that is legally allowed. IMO
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2015, 04:49:36 PM »

The victim of the original crime probably got caught for tax fraud (revenue from blackmail is taxable income). He probably got to cut a deal, and he gave the Feds a very big fish. I'd say the equivalent of a whale shark in politics -- but that may be a poor analogy. Whale sharks are benign creatures.   
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2015, 05:58:38 PM »

Assuming the allegations are true, Hastert is obviously a horrible person, but he already was as he led some of the most corrupt congresses in history.

BUT THOSE BUSH CONSERVATIVES WERE SO MUCH NICER THAN THE TEA PARTY.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »

Hang the paedos
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2015, 09:23:33 PM »

BTW, corruption is nothing new for Hastert. There's the $1.8 million he made from a proposed freeway he earmarked near some land he owned. And he was likely paid by Turkey to kill legislation about the Armenian genocide.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »

Assuming the allegations are true, Hastert is obviously a horrible person, but he already was as he led some of the most corrupt congresses in history.

BUT THOSE BUSH CONSERVATIVES WERE SO MUCH NICER THAN THE TEA PARTY.

You mean Bush conservatives like this guy?

Anyway, what a crazy story.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2015, 06:10:22 AM »

Creepy (VIDEO).

The guy calls him Denny, says "Remember me from Yorkville?" and then when asked about his question, proceeds to laugh and hang up.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2015, 06:18:39 AM »

Creepy stuff is creepy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2015, 02:04:27 AM »

Creepy (VIDEO).

The guy calls him Denny, says "Remember me from Yorkville?" and then when asked about his question, proceeds to laugh and hang up.

I actually saw the interview, but without the callers included if I recally correctly.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

I agree that the law against "structuring" is a terrible law.

A pretty basic principle of a free society should be that you can be prosecuted for disobeying the letter of the law, but you can't be prosecuted for disagreeing with the laws you obey. So it had better be that obeying the letter of the law is enough to be free from persecution, even when your sole motivation is to avoid prosecution. The idea that you can have one law and then another law that makes it illegal to obey the first law when your psychological motivation is only to avoid criminal investigation and penalty, rather than to further the broad, vague purposes of the law, has pretty authoritarian implications.

This.  If the government feel that the law as it is makes it easy for people to get around it by using cash withdraws at $9K a day over and over again, then come up with a new law.  Something like $10K a day or $100K over a 30 day period has to be reported to IRS.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »

Another pub who likes younggins?  Ugh. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »

Creepy (VIDEO).

It would have never made sense as a call from a constituent... but maybe it does. One does not ordinarily refer to one's Representative by a diminutive name unless that name is in ordinary use by the pol.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2015, 03:27:04 PM »

Surveillance video of Hastert meeting up with his extortioner has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoC1Y6wcI9M
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »

Creepy (VIDEO).

It would have never made sense as a call from a constituent... but maybe it does. One does not ordinarily refer to one's Representative by a diminutive name unless that name is in ordinary use by the pol.

Hastert usually asked his constituents to call him Denny, so that isn't strange in this case.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »

After looking at what how Hastert got arrested (taking out under the 10,000 withdraw limit). Which is legal, but he took out like 3 million in like $9,200 withdrawments. I think that extortion is completely wrong, but Hastert has a right to pay blackmail if he would like to Tongue. I dislike Hastert, and if these allegations are true, then he is a scumbag and an awful person in general, but he technically shouldn't have gotten arrested for withdrawing under the limit that is legally allowed. IMO
There is no limit for withdrawing your own money. If you want to withdraw a $1,000,000 of your own money all at once, there's no law against that. However, the government will be notified by the bank that things look suspicious. After all, why would somebody do that. The FBI may want to ask you a few questions, but you still haven't broken any laws. Hastert has been indicted because he lied to the FBI about why he was withdrawing the money. That is the issue.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »

There is no limit for withdrawing your own money. If you want to withdraw a $1,000,000 of your own money all at once, there's no law against that. However, the government will be notified by the bank that things look suspicious. After all, why would somebody do that. The FBI may want to ask you a few questions, but you still haven't broken any laws. Hastert has been indicted because he lied to the FBI about why he was withdrawing the money. That is the issue.
Researched it a bit more, you are correct, the funny part is that this is part of the Patriot Act, which is his baby love.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »

He lied saying he was doing one thing that isn't against the law when really he was doing something else that isn't against the law.  The prosecutors would have you believe this is worth 10 years in prison.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01:27 AM »

An alleged victim has been named by their family and his sister was interviewed by ABC. She believes Individual A knows what happened to her brother, who died 20 years ago.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:51 AM »

So we had the first GAY Speaker of the Housr before we had the first female Speaker of the House? Somehow I'm not surprised.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2015, 09:31:47 AM »

So we had the first GAY Speaker of the Housr before we had the first female Speaker of the House? Somehow I'm not surprised.
I mean we had our first gay president a whole 150 years before (hopefully) our first female one.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »

The way the laws are written, you're a lot more likely to get into trouble if you withdraw $1 million in 101 withdraws of $9900 each than if you withdraw $1 million at once.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies