How early did some major D pols privately support SSM? Who privately opposes it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:19:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How early did some major D pols privately support SSM? Who privately opposes it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How early did some major D pols privately support SSM? Who privately opposes it?  (Read 3401 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 01:33:45 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2014, 01:43:04 PM by memphis »

It's a mistake to think that notions of free love were exclusive to gay people in the 1970s. And plenty of gays had the square serious relationship too. Anecdotally, I have a great aunt who never married but had a very long term female roommate who is in family photos. I think we can all put two and two together. Granted, the numbers on sexual partners were and still are skewed heavily toward gay men, but they weren't the only ones throwing off the shackles of marriage.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 02:21:14 PM »

It's a mistake to think that notions of free love were exclusive to gay people in the 1970s. And plenty of gays had the square serious relationship too. [...] Granted, the numbers on sexual partners were and still are skewed heavily toward gay men, but they weren't the only ones throwing off the shackles of marriage.

Nor was I trying to imply that free love was exclusive to that group, however openly gay people in the 1970s certainly were on average considerably more libertine sexually in ways beyond their choice of partner than society as a whole was.  I'd be surprised if gays, taken as a whole, be more libertine sexually than other groups, but with homosexuality being subject then to much wider opprobrium than today, those who were more libertine were also more likely to be open about their sexual preference.  They really had no choice but to be somewhat open if they were to successfully indulge their libertine appetites.

Anecdotally, I have a great aunt who never married but had a very long term female roommate who is in family photos. I think we can all put two and two together.

Indeed.  I have to wonder when the number 4 is going to sponsor the Sesame Street episode in which Bert and Ernie finally admit what everyone already knows.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2015, 03:45:20 AM »

I found that when Russ Feingold decided to support SSM in 2006, he was the 5th Senator to do so. The first 4 were Ted Kennedy, Ron Wyden, Mark Dayton, and Lincoln Chafee.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies