state, church and tax in (West) Germany
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  state, church and tax in (West) Germany
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: state, church and tax in (West) Germany  (Read 1419 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2015, 02:51:12 AM »

in his 1986 article Religion and State in Germany: West and East, theologian Jurgen Moltmann cited a few statistics that were absolutely startling to me:

The German system of religion is,  even today, a  system of  involuntary church affiliation. One is Catholic or Protestant by virtue of birth and becomes a Christian through infant baptism. Consequently, approximately 90 percent of the people in West Germany belong to a church and pay 10 percent of their income tax as church tax, but only 10 percent to 15 percent attend church regularly and remain active Christians.

so you had 90% of the adult population forking over ten percent of their income to churches that they don't even belong to beyond a personal-identity level?  I assume they get some sort of tax write-off, but, still, this startled me.

does this still go on in some form or fashion, and on a large scale in reunified Germany?
palandio

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 04:55:52 AM »

in his 1986 article Religion and State in Germany: West and East, theologian Jurgen Moltmann cited a few statistics that were absolutely startling to me:

The German system of religion is,  even today, a  system of  involuntary church affiliation. One is Catholic or Protestant by virtue of birth and becomes a Christian through infant baptism.
Yes, but you may declare that you leave the church at age 14 or later (many people do when they start working the first time).
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Many have left the churches since then. Nowadays I would estimate church affilation to be at 75 percent or less even in West Germany. The East is more likely at 25 percent or so. I would have to look up the exact numbers.
It's not 10% of your income, but 9% of your income tax (8% in Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg). For example if your effective income tax rate is 20%, then the church tax is 1.8% of your gross income.
It's exactly the same as 30 years ago.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »

^^thanks
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »

Is this an additional tax people volunteer to pay or is it that they get the option to give some of their taxes that would otherwise go to the government to a church of their choice?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »

I'm one of those people who quit the Catholic Church, right after I finished high school and had to pay church tax.

I don't want to be a member of that shady "Verein" (club) ...
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »

Is this an additional tax people volunteer to pay or is it that they get the option to give some of their taxes that would otherwise go to the government to a church of their choice?

The former.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 04:39:02 AM »

Many have left the churches since then. Nowadays I would estimate church affilation to be at 75 percent or less even in West Germany. The East is more likely at 25 percent or so. I would have to look up the exact numbers.

So West Germany is social conservative and East Germany is economic conservative?  [/joke]
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »

Has this created benefits for society?

Church tax mostly covers the following stuff:

* salary of priests
* renovation of churches
* organizing church
* funding Caritas projects, which helps the poor

Which means to some extent, yes.

But many people are so pissed-off by the Catholiban Church and their abuse scandals that they rather quit it alltogether and simply choose to donate to a charity instead.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

The Germans freely admit the truth...that the church and government are two sides of the same coin.  And in an age of mass non church attendance, the facade must be kept up.

If you will be charitable, give to the one who asks...not the one the church/government deems to be worthy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies