Study: Why Pot Smokers Are Skinnier
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:32:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Study: Why Pot Smokers Are Skinnier
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Study: Why Pot Smokers Are Skinnier  (Read 995 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »

And this, despite the fact that the munchies thing is apparently real. Who knew?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »

If true, then it would be worth looking into modifying marijuana to eliminate/reduce the hallucinogenic effects and use it to help facilitate weight loss and treat diabetes/pre-diabetes.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »

If true, then it would be worth looking into modifying marijuana to eliminate/reduce the hallucinogenic effects and use it to help facilitate weight loss and treat diabetes/pre-diabetes.

I think you're misunderstanding the study.  They're not necessarily saying that the cannabis is causing people to lose weight.  It's that people who smoke marijuana tend to be skinnier.

My explanation would be that people smoke marijuana as a recreational/emotional regulator instead of using food/sweets/alcohol.  Instead of drinking 8 beers or eating an entire pint of ice cream, they're smoking weed.  Weed is a 0 calorie way to make yourself feel good.  If it didn't make you feel good, you would find something else to do. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:52 PM »

I think you're misunderstanding the study.  They're not necessarily saying that the cannabis is causing people to lose weight.  It's that people who smoke marijuana tend to be skinnier.

My explanation would be that people smoke marijuana as a recreational/emotional regulator instead of using food/sweets/alcohol.  Instead of drinking 8 beers or eating an entire pint of ice cream, they're smoking weed.  Weed is a 0 calorie way to make yourself feel good.  If it didn't make you feel good, you would find something else to do. 

It does say though that people eat up to 600 more calories when high, so I'm not sure if what you're saying is true.

What I meant by "if true," was that if further studies suggested a causative link between weight loss and cannibas use, then its medicinal properties should be extracted while removing the negative hallucinogenic effects.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »

That's not what the study itself suggests, really, at all.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 07:16:47 AM »

Without reading the study, I'm going to assume it's because their useless pieces of waste who don't do their proper amount of exercise, and thus lack the muscular bulk of a regular human being.

I didn't read this post but I'm assuming it's something insightful.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »

Hi.  My name is Torie and I like to smoke pot.  I like it a lot.  However, being a lawyer,  I find that I constantly feel the urge to defend its use.  Here's a study from Harvard, no less, that absolutely proves that smoking weed is not only cool and fun and hip and chic, but also "healthy."

Dude, give it a rest.  Unless you have been hiding under a stone for the past two decades, you must know that the War on Drugs is about as popular as hemorrhoids.  No need to trot out such articles to convince us.  We get it:  you should be allowed to enjoy your herb. 

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 12:41:59 AM »

Hi.  My name is Torie and I like to smoke pot.  I like it a lot.  However, being a lawyer,  I find that I constantly feel the urge to defend its use.  Here's a study from Harvard, no less, that absolutely proves that smoking weed is not only cool and fun and hip and chic, but also "healthy."

Dude, give it a rest.  Unless you have been hiding under a stone for the past two decades, you must know that the War on Drugs is about as popular as hemorrhoids.  No need to trot out such articles to convince us.  We get it:  you should be allowed to enjoy your herb. 

He won't be satisfied until the US House agrees. They voted down all the weed related amendments today with 190 to 205 ayes. Usually splitting both parties but pubbies usually were more anti-weed and Dems more pro overall. I missed the hemp vote though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »

He won't be satisfied until the US House agrees. They voted down all the weed related amendments today with 190 to 205 ayes. Usually splitting both parties but pubbies usually were more anti-weed and Dems more pro overall. I missed the hemp vote though.

The war on drugs is probably still more popular than Congress.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 01:03:28 AM »

Without reading the study, I'm going to assume it's because their useless pieces of waste who don't do their proper amount of exercise, and thus lack the muscular bulk of a regular human being.

I didn't read this post but I'm assuming it's something insightful.

I read it for you, but I regret it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »

The war on drugs is probably still more popular than Congress.

Everything is more popular than Congress.  Well, except lawyers.  Their commercials are entertaining, though.  My son and I always get a kick out of them.

Attention Pelvic Mesh wearers:  If you or anyone you know has suffered death due to a transvaginal mesh or transvaginal sling, please call now!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 07:38:52 AM »

angus, cut Torie a break.  He can troll us on the board he moderates with impunity.  Did he mention he's a rich, gay attorney by the way?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »

Angus, I honestly did not know about this particular virtue of weed, and just felt the need to get the good news out. I don't obsess much about the pot laws anyway. They are easily evaded. It's a lower tier issue to me. I am more concerned about cleaning up the those certain Augean stables known as prisons, including getting the druggies out, firing a bunch of prison guards, and culling out the prison guard thug cohort of same.  In other words, my motive in putting up this thread had nothing to do with the issue of pot legalization. And hey, didn't you find it of some vague interest yourself, Angus? 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

angus, cut Torie a break.  He can troll us on the board he moderates with impunity.  Did he mention he's a rich, gay attorney by the way?

Hi Grumps. Since you smoke pot, what's your excuse for being overweight? I think using the words "troll" and "trolling" should be intractable myself. They are the most used, and abused, words in the English language, on this Forum. It's time to stamp it out. I think I will bring that up with Nym. Tongue
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 06:26:17 PM »

I smoke pot a lot, and I'm hella fat.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »

I smoked pot recently for the first time in over 5 years and it did, among various other epiphanies, unite me more with my physical body, which I'd been ignoring for a while as it slowly was being laid to waste.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies