Do you find a MILF pastor strange? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:37:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you find a MILF pastor strange? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you find a MILF pastor strange?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Do you find a MILF pastor strange?  (Read 6394 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 02, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »

Seek help.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 08:39:42 PM »

I know people who write articles with titles like that who'd kick your ass if you called them 'progressive'.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »

I know people who write articles with titles like that who'd kick your ass if you called them 'progressive'.

Well unless they're somehow conservatives who still write articles like that, then they have an odd case of labelphobia.

There are leftists who distrust the concept of 'progress', believe it or not.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2015, 01:26:44 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

I'm not sure a church that once had a sermon series entitled "Exchanging the Bad News of Religion for the Good News of Jesus Christ" would have a problem making a mockery of religion...

That sort of rhetoric is a major warning sign for certain particularly terrible theological positions (especially hardline and triumphalist variants of supersessionism are the first example that comes to mind), but we knew most of those things about your church anyway so I guess you're not really digging yourself any deeper by bringing it up.

Christianity is inherently and by definition a religion. It's an interaction between humanity and God that takes the form of religious worship. Among no serious scholars of religion is this the least bit controversial.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »

The problem with supersessionism isn't so much its attitude towards Judaism as an ethnoreligion as it is the advancement of a narrative about Christian origins that verges on treating the faith ahistorically, but I get that that's not really the point so I'll shut up about it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 12:48:23 AM »

The problem with supersessionism isn't so much its attitude towards Judaism as an ethnoreligion as it is the advancement of a narrative about Christian origins that verges on treating the faith ahistorically, but I get that that's not really the point so I'll shut up about it.

Actually that's something I'm a bit intrigued about, seeing as how it's difficult to square a complete rejection of supersessionism with much of the New Testament, as it's made clear most of the first Christians were Jewish converts and Paul's writings on the Mosaic Law. Unless you want to argue that Jewish converts were only OK for a period of time, but that's something that I have a tough time backing up.

The problem with treating the way in which Christianity succeeds the Old Testament law as supersessionism over something comparable to or existing in continuum with modern rabbinic Judaism is that modern rabbinic Judaism can be shown to have developed out of the same environment as early Christianity in somewhat similar ways. Judaism as we know it isn't what got superseded; it's a sister religion more than a mother. Treating it otherwise ignores both the actual nature of the religious culture in which Christianity arose and the existence of history and historical development within Judaism.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not even thinking of this as relevant to the subject of evangelism and I have a tough time articulating my understanding of why you might be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies