Is Hillary's campaign already imploding?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:37:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Hillary's campaign already imploding?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Hillary's campaign already imploding?  (Read 4099 times)
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »

Another nail in the Clinton coffin...

UBS Deal Shows Clinton’s Complicated Ties

A few weeks after Hillary Clinton was sworn in as secretary of state in early 2009, she was summoned to Geneva by her Swiss counterpart to discuss an urgent matter. The Internal Revenue Service was suing UBS AG to get the identities of Americans with secret accounts.

If the case proceeded, Switzerland’s largest bank would face an impossible choice: Violate Swiss secrecy laws by handing over the names, or refuse and face criminal charges in U.S. federal court.

Within months, Mrs. Clinton announced a tentative legal settlement—an unusual intervention by the top U.S. diplomat. UBS ultimately turned over information on 4,450 accounts, a fraction of the 52,000 sought by the IRS, an outcome that drew criticism from some lawmakers who wanted a more extensive crackdown.

From that point on, UBS’s engagement with the Clinton family’s charitable organization increased. Total donations by UBS to the Clinton Foundation grew from less than $60,000 through 2008 to a cumulative total of about $600,000 by the end of 2014, according the foundation and the bank.

The bank also joined the Clinton Foundation to launch entrepreneurship and inner-city loan programs, through which it lent $32 million. And it paid former president Bill Clinton $1.5 million to participate in a series of question-and-answer sessions with UBS Wealth Management Chief Executive Bob McCann, making UBS his biggest single corporate source of speech income disclosed since he left the White House.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ubs-deal-shows-clintons-complicated-ties-1438223492
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 08:28:47 AM »

No.

She's dominating in primary polling.  She consistently leads in head to head match-ups.  She has had very strong fundraising.

She has gotten some bad press recently, but so far her campaign hasn't 'imploded' from it.  Rather, she appears to be weathering it quite well.
whanztastic
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 09:13:17 AM »

And most of that false press has been retracted, way to do your job NYT...
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »

On the issues, other than Jim Webb, there is very little difference between the Democratic candidates.

But, Hillary Clinton could face some problems in the Democratic primary. The truth is, Lincoln Chafee has a record of accomplishment as Governor that puts him above the rest of the field. Martin O'Malley was a horrible Governor, but he did manage to reduce some crime as Mayor of Baltimore. Bernie Sanders, despite his pandering on immigration, is seen as pure and interested in policy, not playing politics.

Hillary Clinton will have to answer to the fact that she was not a very effective U.S. Senator, she was not a good Secretary of State, and of course all of the corruption she's been involved with. She has baggage her fellow Democrats simply don't have.

That being said, since many in the Democratic Party don't care about ethics, she will remain the front-runner and since the media has given her a million passes, she is still the most electable Democrat because of her name I.D. and media bias.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:10 AM »

I think Hillary was well regarded as a Senator actually overall.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 09:46:02 AM »

Hillary's problem is that she becomes less popular the more she is in the limelight. Her favorables dropped during the 1993/94 healthcare battle, after she announced her 2000 run for the Senate, during her 2008 campaign and now during her 2016 one.
ViaActiva

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »

I always thought that the over-confidence of Hillary supporters over the past few years was completely misguided - it was inevitable that once we got closer to the campaign that she would be subjected to greater scrutiny and people would remember her awkward, stunted, campaigning style, as well as her evident posturing on policy issues.

This does not mean that Hillary is finished by any measure, she is still the clear favourite to win the Democratic nomination barring a major scandal. But Sanders presents an enormous challenge for Hillary and anyone who discards him would do well to look at what is happening in the UK at the moment, with left-wing outsider Jeremy Corbyn on the brink of winning the leadership of the Labour Party. The mainstream media and political insiders completely dismissed him as a crank (the odds of him winning were 100-1 a few months ago, now 11/10), but he has swept up a huge grassroots following out of nowhere, using social media to target the young and established Labour members very effectively. The party establishment tried to take him down by smearing him, but he's so clean and sincere in his views that these attempts backfired and made him even more popular.

The recession and rising inequality with globalisation, combined with the politicising and organising revolution of the Internet, are leading to a surge in radical political movements across the world. Whether it's Syriza in Greece, Podemos in Spain, Corbyn or Sanders on the Left, or Donald Trump, the Tea Party, popular nationalism in Russia, Israel and India on the Right - these socio-economic and technology revolutions are changing politics across the world. The old managerialism and command and control politics of the past is being reacted against violently by people who want more power in their own hands and want more of a say. As with the print revolution of the Reformation, the internet and globalisation are completely changing how people think about politics and how they are politicised, but politicians are behind the curve on this. The Third Way politics of triangulation in the US, UK and Europe has been discredited, benefiting more extreme views of the right and left.

The predominant mood in the US is one of anger and yearning for change - one that fits uneasily with Hillary Clinton (and of course, with Jeb Bush). I think that she has a good chance of becoming President, but the general is 50/50 in my opinion and I would not be surprised at a GOP victory. I would bet on Rubio if he's the nominee.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 09:54:06 AM »

She voted against much needed tax relief, voted to send our troops to war but then voted against funding them in harm's way, voted against CAFTA, voted for the 2005 highway bill that cost taxpayers $286.4 billion and included over 6,000 "pet projects," and the list goes on.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 09:58:39 AM »

She voted against much needed tax relief, voted to send our troops to war but then voted against funding them in harm's way, voted against CAFTA, voted for the 2005 highway bill that cost taxpayers $286.4 billion and included over 6,000 "pet projects," and the list goes on.

Well, that is your view of her policy judgments. I was focused more on how her colleagues viewed her (of both parties), and effective she was, given her ideology.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 10:05:47 AM »

On the issues, other than Jim Webb, there is very little difference between the Democratic candidates.

But, Hillary Clinton could face some problems in the Democratic primary. The truth is, Lincoln Chafee has a record of accomplishment as Governor that puts him above the rest of the field. Martin O'Malley was a horrible Governor, but he did manage to reduce some crime as Mayor of Baltimore. Bernie Sanders, despite his pandering on immigration, is seen as pure and interested in policy, not playing politics.

Hillary Clinton will have to answer to the fact that she was not a very effective U.S. Senator, she was not a good Secretary of State, and of course all of the corruption she's been involved with. She has baggage her fellow Democrats simply don't have.

That being said, since many in the Democratic Party don't care about ethics, she will remain the front-runner and since the media has given her a million passes, she is still the most electable Democrat because of her name I.D. and media bias.

Sanders isn't pandering on immigration. Just the opposite. He undoubtedly hurt himself.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 10:20:48 AM »

Bedstuy! I see you are from New York😊 hope you don't have all your "eggs in one basket", you are likely to be shocked.  Nevertheless I want Hillary as your party's nominee! Not because she will win! But think she can be beaten😊 This email scandal and Benghazi will be great fodder to use against her. So it's agreed,  we both want her to be your party's nominee, but for very different reasons😉
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »

Thank you, enough with the "Hillary has what it takes!!" bullsh*t MSNBC spews. She has a piss poor and average record at best. Refer to my signature. Only thing that makes her even remotely eligible to command the greatest nation in the current world is the fact she is the Kim Kardashian of her party and the media.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »

And this differentiates her from Jeb Bush, the Governor who NEHHHHHHHHVER . . . EHHHHHHHHVER . . . approved pet projects for influential lawmakers and key contributors?  Really!

Much needed tax relief?  Really?  If we needed tax relief so bad, we couldn't have possibly afforded to go to war for Bush's private vendetta against Saddam Hussein.

The Democrats are ALL IN with Hillary, and, trughfully, there's no turning back for them.  She's not my idea of an outstanding candidate, but she's not a member of the Bush Family, none of whom should ever be allowed to go to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave without a ticket.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »

Hillary's problem is that she becomes less popular the more she is in the limelight. Her favorables dropped during the 1993/94 healthcare battle, after she announced her 2000 run for the Senate, during her 2008 campaign and now during her 2016 one.

Likability is a real issue for her.  Always has been.  I think the attempts at faux authenticity aren't serving her well.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies