Nebraska Governor and Attorney General resort to Insane Troll Logic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:29:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nebraska Governor and Attorney General resort to Insane Troll Logic
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nebraska Governor and Attorney General resort to Insane Troll Logic  (Read 1307 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2015, 12:20:04 PM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/our-plan-is-to-proceed-with-the-executions-ricketts-says/article_0dc1c2d0-0638-11e5-979e-77b47170b978.html

So in a nutshell, following the death penalty repeal, the Governor announced that he'll seek executions for the 10 inmates currently on death row anyway. The Attorney General argued that the repeal bill's commutations of all death sentences to life without parole is unconstitutional and that the legislature lacks authority to commute sentences. Interestingly I read elsewhere that one of the bill's main backers, Sen. Ernie Chambers agrees with this and does not believe the legislature has the authority to do so, but as the state has now been prohibited from carrying out executions it becomes moot, basically those ten's sentences remain but can't be legally carried out.

So here's the dumb part: The state is out of a drug needed for lethal injections ANYWAY and thus couldn't carry out any even if the law had not passed. So Governor Ricketts is trying to set up an importing of it from India and has already paid an Indian source. Except importing the drug is illegal, the FDA has banned any imports of it from foreign sources that don't meet US standards, like India. So why does Ricketts think it can be imported anyway?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This does bring up an interesting case then, could Ricketts be charged with federal crimes for illegal importation of the drug now?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 12:31:16 PM »

If anything it highlights the overwhelming 'vengeance' aspect to proponents of the death penalty. He's happy to break the law and the spirit of the law in order to effectively take down ten men on death row as fast as he can. He's almost no better than the people he's trying to execute.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 01:08:50 PM »

Arrest the thugs.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 01:55:23 PM »

Ricketts is rather eager to kill people; disgusting, subhuman behavior.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »

I've been watching Rachel Maddow lately and I had a feeling what this topic was going to be about. And I agree. I can actually understand why someone is pro-death penalty. I do not understand the ardent forcefulness that some have in terms of capital punishment. It'd be funny if it weren't so disgusting that these are largely the same people that go out of their way to call themselves pro-life. If they are so willing to defy federal law, they should absolutely face the consequences. If the Governor of Nebraska wants to violate federal law to impose illegal state-sanctioned killings, he should be arrested and sentenced accordingly.

Fwiw, Governor Ricketts stated in his veto that "As a Catholic, I'm confident that this aligns with Catholic catechism and that this aligns with public safety." Of course, this is what the Catholic Church actually states:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »

Idiot governor and AG. #Ricketts4President
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »

"Insane", "Troll", and "Logic" should not be capitalized. The former is an adjective and the latter two are common nouns.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »

Feed Ricketts to the lions.  It can replace the spectacle he is looking for.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 07:27:09 PM »

That is the title of an article on TV Tropes, not the official name of anything outside the context of said website.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »

If anything it highlights the overwhelming 'vengeance' aspect to proponents of the death penalty. He's happy to break the law and the spirit of the law in order to effectively take down ten men on death row as fast as he can. He's almost no better than the people he's trying to execute.

Reminds me of a lynch mob in the Deep South, almost.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 11:43:12 PM »

shut up snowstalker

I hope President Obama does the responsible thing and sends in the national guard. If this Ricketts man loves the death penalty so much, perhaps the feds should give him a taste for it and charge sentence him to death for his crimes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 12:25:30 AM »

Statistically there's a good chance one of those 10 men is innocent, in which case he's much worse than that man.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 03:36:15 AM »

Interesting fact:  One of the ten men on death row is the 1993 murderer of Brandon Teena, the trans man portrayed by Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 04:08:32 AM »

I guess nothing deters crime like the governor and AG intentionally breaking state and federal laws.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 03:29:10 PM »

http://www.omaha.com/news/legislature/our-plan-is-to-proceed-with-the-executions-ricketts-says/article_0dc1c2d0-0638-11e5-979e-77b47170b978.html

So in a nutshell, following the death penalty repeal, the Governor announced that he'll seek executions for the 10 inmates currently on death row anyway. The Attorney General argued that the repeal bill's commutations of all death sentences to life without parole is unconstitutional and that the legislature lacks authority to commute sentences. Interestingly I read elsewhere that one of the bill's main backers, Sen. Ernie Chambers agrees with this and does not believe the legislature has the authority to do so, but as the state has now been prohibited from carrying out executions it becomes moot, basically those ten's sentences remain but can't be legally carried out.
not to be a total pedant but uh, that word doesn't mean what you think it does...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »

What scum those two are.  I think it's time for the feds to apply the scrubbing bubbles.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 05:17:32 AM »

So in a nutshell, following the death penalty repeal, the Governor announced that he'll seek executions for the 10 inmates currently on death row anyway. The Attorney General argued that the repeal bill's commutations of all death sentences to life without parole is unconstitutional and that the legislature lacks authority to commute sentences.

Haven't that being done before?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies