CO-Sen: Mike Coffman out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:03:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CO-Sen: Mike Coffman out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: CO-Sen: Mike Coffman out  (Read 15033 times)
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:56 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2016, 02:44:49 PM by hopper »

So basically because they don't like Bennet because they don't like Obama.

On a side note Bennet is an underrated debater/campaigner.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2016, 05:54:39 PM »

Gardner's margin of victory was not impressive. Ed Gillespie got a higher perecentage of the vote than Cory Gardner. Udall could have definitely won had he run a better campaign - despite it being 2014.

An alternative view is that his narrow loss to Gardner showed that his "Mark Uterus" campaign was actually the best effort to keep it close, and it wasn't enough given how tremendous the Republican wave was combined with the electability of his opponent.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »

Let's not forget that Udall's 2014 campaign was basically the same as Bennet's successful 2010 campaign, though Gardner did end up being a stronger challenger than expected. Also, I don't think we should ignore the fact that the media in Colorado is controlled by Republicans.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »

Last Dem Corp poll showed Bennet doing very well against GOP.

That just doesn't make sense. If Mark Udall of all people could get thrown out and be replaced by a clown like Cory Gardnernor no real reason, how is Bennet doing so well?

Because Michael Bennet hasn't started running a one-issue campaign on abortion to the point where the papers are calling him Michael Uterus (yet). That's the main reason Mark Udall lost.

Udall lost because 2014.

Gardner's margin of victory was not impressive. Ed Gillespie got a higher perecentage of the vote than Cory Gardner. Udall could have definitely won had he run a better campaign - despite it being 2014.
Gardner barely won in 2014, but he'll probably do better in 2020 for his reelection campaign now that he's moderated more.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2016, 09:51:32 PM »

Ernst and Tillis are probably more vulnerable.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »

Ernst and Tillis are probably more vulnerable.
LOL
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »

Who cares? We have 2 election cycles.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »

*bump*

If I'm reading the Twitter commentary correctly, Darryl Glenn will be the only Republican to make it onto the primary ballot, and is thus already the de facto Republican nominee:

https://twitter.com/ByJohnFrank/status/718961012997664768
https://twitter.com/ByJohnFrank/status/718960826783113216

You must be logged in to read this quote.

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2016, 07:46:53 PM »

^Doesn't seem like that much of a threat. Likely D.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:33 PM »

Oh wait, I am understanding it incorrectly.  Getting the votes at the GOP convention is just one way to get on the primary ballot, so there presumably still will be others:

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/158336/colorado-us-senate-race-explained

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »

I think Keyser (one of the candidates who got on the ballot by signatures) is a stronger candidate in the GE.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »

I watched Glenn and a couple of other candidates speak and I definitely see why a convention of staunch Republicans picked him - Glenn is probably the best public speaker of that group and pretty conservative (I'd describe him as Cruz-esqe). Neville is a pretty weak public speaker but he addressed something that was probably why he was considered the favorite - he's had more success in a lean Democratic district. Something that can't be said for some of the other candidates (Ryan Frazier in particular, who lost by double digits to Ed Perlmutter in CO-7 in a Republican wave year).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2016, 01:26:44 AM »

Nice. Glenn is probably a good enough candidate and way better than the rest (with the exception of maybe Keyser), but will it be enough to defeat Bennet? Leans D for now, although we could see a surprise here.

again, Glenn struck me as very very conservative - fits in just fine with El Paso county, but off the mark for the rest of the state.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2016, 01:37:54 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2016, 02:05:37 AM by smoltchanov »

Nice. Glenn is probably a good enough candidate and way better than the rest (with the exception of maybe Keyser), but will it be enough to defeat Bennet? Leans D for now, although we could see a surprise here.

Likely D. Glenn strucks me as social extremist (and this is "to say mildly"), as most candidates chosen by party conventions (dominated by fanatics) are. Unlike Gardner in 2014. And 2016 will have substantially bigger and, most likely, substantially Democratic turnout..
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2016, 10:46:56 AM »

Likely D. Glenn strucks me as social extremist (and this is "to say mildly"), as most candidates chosen by party conventions (dominated by fanatics) are. Unlike Gardner in 2014. And 2016 will have substantially bigger and, most likely, substantially Democratic turnout..

And keep in mind that Gardner would've clearly lost had he been running in 2010, much less a Presidential election year.  Despite running a top-notch campaign, Gardner only won by the skin of his teeth against an opponent who ran a mediocre campaign (at best), despite having the state media almost universally in the tank for him and 2014 being 2014 (there's no other way to put it).  That was the high-water mark for a Colorado Republican in a seriously contested Senate race.  Tbh, even Gardner will probably face at least a somewhat uphill climb in 2020.  Additionally, Glenn is an infinitely weaker candidate than Cory Gardner.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2016, 01:38:34 AM »

It was pretty surprising that Gardner only won by 2 points. Udall ran one of the worst campaigns I've ever seen in my life (literally the entire campaign was "muh abortion".) Apparently he didn't realize that while attacking Republicans for being weak on women's health care is a good wedge issue, it's not something you should base your entire f'ing campaign around if you want to be taken remotely seriously. Totally bizarre behavior, particularly for an incumbent Senator.

I'm guessing the relatively close margin partly had to do with the fact that the COGOP is a completely incompetent mess. Their chosen candidate drops out due to plagiarism in 2010, and they end up nominating some conspiracy nutjob, who they promptly disown and are forced into backing Tom Tancredo (lol) as a Constitution Party candidate. They lose a gimme Senate race by nominating a sexist unlikable bigot. They decide to suspend democracy because they apparently don't trust their own voters to vote "the correct way." And now they may very well throw away yet another Senate race by having to resort to running a Some Dude against a clearly vulnerable Senator. What a joke this party is. It really needs to start getting mentioned in those "worst state party" threads.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2016, 07:25:21 PM »

Jon Keyser failed to make the ballot. He submitted 16,067 signatures, but only 11,436 were deemed valid. He needed 1,500 from each CD, and he apparently fell 86 signatures short in CD 3.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/jon-keyser-senate-primary-colorado-222423
syntaxerror
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »

Just got easier for the Democrats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2016, 12:53:33 AM »

Jon Keyser failed to make the ballot. He submitted 16,067 signatures, but only 11,436 were deemed valid. He needed 1,500 from each CD, and he apparently fell 86 signatures short in CD 3.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/jon-keyser-senate-primary-colorado-222423

And my post right above yours accepts its accolades. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »

Courts have put Keyser back on the ballot and Frazier/Blaha have been stayed pending a court case.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2016, 09:05:56 PM »

Jack Graham seemed to raise the most, but nobody knows who that is. Meanwhile Darryl Glenn didn't raise a thing...

It looks, from a distance, like Mike Bennet is totally safe.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2016, 12:56:52 AM »

If it wasn't for Udall's failure last cycle, I think most people would be rating this Safe D at this point.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »

I agree. If things don't change, Republicans should concede this race and focus entirely on Nevada and maybe Maryland as possible pick-up opportunities. It's sad because Bennet is definitely very vulnerable.
Maryland?  I think Republicans should focus on picking up NV, and defending PA, FL, and OH.  Those are their four firewall seats for holding the Senate.  If this was a midterm year, and Szeliga was running against Edwards, then maybe Maryland would be competitive, but I don't think so.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »

I agree. If things don't change, Republicans should concede this race and focus entirely on Nevada and maybe Maryland as possible pick-up opportunities. It's sad because Bennet is definitely very vulnerable.
Maryland?  I think Republicans should focus on picking up NV, and defending PA, FL, and OH.  Those are their four firewall seats for holding the Senate.  If this was a midterm year, and Szeliga was running against Edwards, then maybe Maryland would be competitive, but I don't think so.

What we need to do (if we lose the presidential election, which is looking possible thanks to Donald the RINO) is maintain at least 53 seats in the Senate.  That makes the path to 60 in 2018 very, very realistic (probably more likely than not).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2016, 11:35:37 AM »

What we need to do (if we lose the presidential election, which is looking possible thanks to Donald the RINO) is maintain at least 53 seats in the Senate.  That makes the path to 60 in 2018 very, very realistic (probably more likely than not).

At this point you should be hoping to end up with more than 45 seats this election in order to win back the Senate at all in 2018.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies