what will the Southlake, TXs of the world look like in half a century?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:03:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  what will the Southlake, TXs of the world look like in half a century?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what will the Southlake, TXs of the world look like in half a century?  (Read 1167 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:24 PM »

Somewhere like Southlake is what I would call "ground zero" for the new rich as opposed to the old rich of Park Avenue, Holmby Hills etc. But East Manhattan and West LA were once new neighborhoods and were once "noveau riche" so what will the trajectory look like - will Southlake join the pantheon of "old money stomping grounds" and the noveau riche of the future will live (at least in the DFW area) around Lake Roberts or what not?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:36:33 AM »

The growth in half a century will be much further out, since Tejas has more land than it knows what to do with. (CT is the size of one of their counties, so maybe I'm just jealous).

First Frisco will continue to become as big as Plano & Arlington (200,000-300,000), then its neighbor to the north, Prosper, will start to grow into a mega-suburb. 10 years later the cycle will continue with the next neighbor on the Tollway, Celina.

After that growth tsunami will reach Grayson County (unless this move back to the cities actually happens, I keep seeing articles about it but the population data shows little to no sign of it).

Other places that will be growing faster then include Wise & Parker Counties and the town of Forney.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »

The growth in half a century will be much further out, since Tejas has more land than it knows what to do with. (CT is the size of one of their counties, so maybe I'm just jealous).

First Frisco will continue to become as big as Plano & Arlington (200,000-300,000), then its neighbor to the north, Prosper, will start to grow into a mega-suburb. 10 years later the cycle will continue with the next neighbor on the Tollway, Celina.

After that growth tsunami will reach Grayson County (unless this move back to the cities actually happens, I keep seeing articles about it but the population data shows little to no sign of it).

Other places that will be growing faster then include Wise & Parker Counties and the town of Forney.

The Tollway doesn't go that far, and that's what's restricting growth. Hwy 380 is still a bumpkin state highway with insufficient overpasses and way to much traffic. The Northwest side of the metroplex has the same problem. The funding deal for 114 fell through when Texas Motor Speedway was completed, which means Argyle, Justin, Northlake areas are still excluded from convenient DFW and Dallas access. They have to get through the mess in Roanoke.

Southlake will continue to develop, but stay mainly the same. I don't see it turning into an old money locale. It's perfect for DFW access, which means traveling executives, regional sales directors, public accounts, etc are happy to live there. Highland Park/University Park is the other option, but prices are prohibitive.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:30 PM »

The Tollway doesn't go that far, and that's what's restricting growth. Hwy 380 is still a bumpkin state highway with insufficient overpasses and way to much traffic. The Northwest side of the metroplex has the same problem. The funding deal for 114 fell through when Texas Motor Speedway was completed, which means Argyle, Justin, Northlake areas are still excluded from convenient DFW and Dallas access. They have to get through the mess in Roanoke.

Southlake will continue to develop, but stay mainly the same. I don't see it turning into an old money locale. It's perfect for DFW access, which means traveling executives, regional sales directors, public accounts, etc are happy to live there. Highland Park/University Park is the other option, but prices are prohibitive.

couldn't highway 289 theoretically become a tollway in the future?
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »

couldn't highway 289 theoretically become a tollway in the future?

Probably not, for the same reasons Sam Rayburn Tollway (121 colloquially) is not actually SH121 (the free access roads that run alongside Sam Rayburn). Too many geographical challenges for DNT, as well. The intersection with 380 is not very close to 289 and attempts to join the two roads will run directly through the developed part of Prosper.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »

Like this
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »

Which area do you see having more growth over the next few decades, the southern tier of the Metroplex (i.e. Benbrook, Mansfield, Lancaster) or the northern tier (Keller, Flower Mound, Wylie)?

I get the impression the Southern suburbs are less desirable but I don't know why.

If San Antonio, Austin, Round Rock & (some day, lol) Waco, become one long corridor of business & people, I could the south side benefiting from that. Wouldn't be good news for McKinney though.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 02:41:39 PM »

Which area do you see having more growth over the next few decades, the southern tier of the Metroplex (i.e. Benbrook, Mansfield, Lancaster) or the northern tier (Keller, Flower Mound, Wylie)?

I get the impression the Southern suburbs are less desirable but I don't know why.

If San Antonio, Austin, Round Rock & (some day, lol) Waco, become one long corridor of business & people, I could the south side benefiting from that. Wouldn't be good news for McKinney though.

Dallas southside is doomed has bankrupted many people. I have to hide my checkbook whenever I think about buying down there. Roads are important, but DFW and access to Irving-Plano Fortune 500 companies is more important.

Benbrook is too isolated, imo. If you're going to be isolated on the southwest side of Fort Worth, live in the TCU/Colonial area or Rivercrest to the west. Keller has the same problem. It's on the west side of Southlake without any access to the east.

The places to watch are Fort Worth east side and Argyle. Arlington has been weak, but Oakhurst has been strong. The prosperity will surely spill into Sylvania Heights and Haltom City. I'm scared to death of Historic Southside, Morningside, and Meadowbrook, but the scuttlebutt is that A&M will soon own Texas Wesleyan outright. Major expansion plans are in the works because DFW has no established public law schools (UNT law just opened in Dallas), and the UT system will goad Fort Worth into dumping even more money into south and southeast Forth Worth to repair the Wesleyan area.

Argyle will also work, imo. The ranchette set was forced from Southlake 10 years ago. They settled in Westlake. But Westlake is rapidly developing thanks to major blvd construction and easy access to 114. When 114 reaches 35W, Argyle will be in play for the jetsetting ranchette executives. The land there is unbelievable. From the northside of 407 you can see southward all the way through the cross timbers, almost to Lake Grapevine. It will be irresistible for the ranchette set.

The far northside of DFW could be trouble. Tollway can't be widened downtown so stretching it north could be impossible. Route 380 needs $10B and 10 years of construction to carry dense traffic. Regardless of the fairy tales google maps publishes, it takes at least an hour to travel from 75 to 35 on 380. Average speed is only slightly higher than a major blvd. Plano will need to snap another half dozen major employers before Frisco and McKinney and breathe easy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies