Updated list of who is in and out of first GOP debate (FOX Aug. 6)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:25:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Updated list of who is in and out of first GOP debate (FOX Aug. 6)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Updated list of who is in and out of first GOP debate (FOX Aug. 6)  (Read 21400 times)
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2015, 09:31:18 PM »

Poor Donald Cry
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »

Since Santorum, Fiorina, Graham, and Pataki have already announced, they can't really count on using an announcement bounce to save them.

Kasich, on the other hand, still has a shot at getting an announcement bounce that puts him in the top 10.  All he has to do is double his support.  Tongue
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2015, 09:47:47 PM »

Due to the infrequency of live phone polling it takes about a month to get your bounce in. As of now only two of the five polls are after Graham and Perry's announcement, and only one after Trump's obviously. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »

I forget, have they said what the cutoff date is for these polls?  Presumably they're not going to wait until the day before the debate to announce who's being invited.  Maybe they'll only include polls released by July 31st, or something like that.  I expect a flurry of polling in late July because of this.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 09:58:34 PM »

This is the FOX criteria:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It may be that all the major polling outfits will try to get one out in the week before Aug. 4, which may mean that there will be fewer (live phone) polls in early/mid July.

And it looks like that 1% thing could be an issue for Jindal who would not even qualify for the second tier 'forum' FOX is holding. Of course he will have his theoretical 'bump' but I think that after spending all year trying to get attention and polling below 1%, Jindal may not run in the end.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 10:35:53 PM »

If your standards exclude the sitting governor of Ohio, your standards are stupid.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »

UPDATE: with new FOX poll

Trump leaps into 8th place, past both Christie and Perry

=======IN========

1   Bush   13.8
2   Walker*   11.4
3   Rubio   11.0
4   Carson   9.4
5   Huckabee   8.4
6   Paul   8.2
7   Cruz   5.8
8   Trump   4.2 ↑
9   Christie*   4.0 ↓
10   Perry   3.6 ↓

=======OUT========

11   Santorum   2.4
12   Fiorina   2.0
13   Kasich*   1.6
14   Graham   1.2
15   Pataki   1.0
16   Jindal   0.8

* undeclared candidate
↑↓ up/down change of rank
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:58 AM »

Trump at 1.8% after having been top two in two national polls? (As well as top three in two state polls.)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »

Trump at 1.8% after having been top two in two national polls? (As well as top three in two state polls.)

Which polls were that, I'm checking everywhere and not a single poll I am seeing had Trump above 5% in any National poll
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 10:11:39 AM »

Which polls were that, I'm checking everywhere and not a single poll I am seeing had Trump above 5% in any National poll

YouGov/The Economist has him at shared first, while FOX has him at second behind Jeb. Both have him at 11%.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »

The average is live phone polls only. No PPP or YouGov or other IVR and Internet polls.

And as you can see from my last update Trunp is at 4.2. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »

I still think there's a chance that Kasich, as a "serious person", gets enough fawning media coverage from a campaign announcement that, combined with some favorable stories about establishment figures joining his campaign or what have you, he starts to get ~5% in the national polls.  Not saying it'll happen, but it's possible.  He has to nail his campaign rollout though, and he has to do it within the first ~10 days of July.

So yes, he *might* bump Perry out of the top 10, but otherwise I'd bet against the top 10 changing between now and the first debate.  Trump will obviously make it into the debate at this point.  Even if the Trump bubble were to deflate very quickly, he'll clearly be strong enough to remain in the top 10.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 11:07:11 PM »

Seriously, there is no way they can use these standards. They basically amount to saying, we're going to randomly pick 7 out of the 15 candidates for every debate.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 01:09:37 AM »

I still think there's a chance that Kasich, as a "serious person", gets enough fawning media coverage from a campaign announcement that, combined with some favorable stories about establishment figures joining his campaign or what have you, he starts to get ~5% in the national polls.  Not saying it'll happen, but it's possible.  He has to nail his campaign rollout though, and he has to do it within the first ~10 days of July.

So yes, he *might* bump Perry out of the top 10, but otherwise I'd bet against the top 10 changing between now and the first debate.  Trump will obviously make it into the debate at this point.  Even if the Trump bubble were to deflate very quickly, he'll clearly be strong enough to remain in the top 10.

There's also a chance the media just won't be able to resist kicking Christie's a$$ after he announces and marveling over the car crash that are his presidential ambitions while fawning over Kasich. Don't give up on the dream of Christie not making the cut.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:17 AM »

The average is live phone polls only. No PPP or YouGov or other IVR and Internet polls.

What level of certainty do we have that “major, nationally recognized organizations that use standard methodological techniques” (the relevant criterion, as I understand it, for poll inclusion) means that non-live phone calls will definitively be excluded?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 02:38:41 AM »

Breitbart.com of all places raises an interesting question:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/28/gop-presidential-debate-organizers-facing-mathematical-quandry/

Even if you accept the "top 10 from the most recent national polls" standard as legitimate, how much uncertainty is introduced just by margin of error and rounding, given how close all the candidates are?  What the chances that this set of criteria picks the "right" set of candidates, even given its own standards of how those people should be picked?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 02:51:49 AM »

This is the FOX criteria:
It may be that all the major polling outfits will try to get one out in the week before Aug. 4, which may mean that there will be fewer (live phone) polls in early/mid July.

And it looks like that 1% thing could be an issue for Jindal who would not even qualify for the second tier 'forum' FOX is holding. Of course he will have his theoretical 'bump' but I think that after spending all year trying to get attention and polling below 1%, Jindal may not run in the end.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if there were 6 or more polls ending August 3rd released early on August 4th.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »

UPDATE: with new CNN poll

For third update in a row Trump jumps up a spot, this time passing Cruz.

After updating this for a month, so far not a single candidate has moved in or out of the top 10. The only change in qualification is Pataki has dropped out of qualifying for the 'Forum' and Jindal now as broken the 1% threshold to get in

=======MAIN FOX DEBATE========

1   Bush   15.0
2   Walker*   10.6
3   Rubio   9.4
4   Carson   9.4
5   Huckabee   8.0
6   Paul   8.0
7   Trump   6.0 ↑
8   Cruz   4.8 ↓
9   Christie   3.8
10   Perry   3.4

=========FOX 'FORUM'==========

11   Santorum   2.8
12   Fiorina   2.0
13   Kasich*   2.0
14   Graham   1.2
15   Jindal   1.0 ↑

=======NO APPEARANCE=========

16   Pataki   0.4 ↓

* undeclared candidate
↑↓ up/down change of rank
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »

Personally, I'm hoping that everyone can make it into the Forum.   They all at least deserve to be heard.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-07-06/the-republican-debate-selection-process-is-a-new-wild-card-in-presidential-politics

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 12:33:32 AM »

Why not just include all 16 candidates and expand the debate to 4 hours, with only a 5 minute break each hour for commercials in between ?

That would mean slightly more than 10 minutes talking time for each candidate.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 06:24:35 AM »

Why not just include all 16 candidates and expand the debate to 4 hours, with only a 5 minute break each hour for commercials in between ?

Because nobody besides us, and probably not most of us, would watch a four hour debate. Plus, candidates would probably have to use the bathroom. Some of the older ones probably wouldn't be able to stand for four hours anyway.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »

Because nobody besides us, and probably not most of us, would watch a four hour debate. Plus, candidates would probably have to use the bathroom. Some of the older ones probably wouldn't be able to stand for four hours anyway.

Rick Perry would probably need a shot of his meds halfway through the debate.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 06:27:28 AM »

A) Yes, that's a fair point.
B) They can go to the bathroom during the 5-10 minute commercial breaks each hour.
C) Is there a requirement that the candidates need to stand ? What about a sitting debate ?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 06:48:39 AM »

I doubt it'll happen, but I would have liked for there to be a cross-party debate, so we could reenact this moment with the 2016 candidates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDTQyTffl8A
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies