Can teenagers bring mobile phones to school in the US?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can teenagers bring mobile phones to school in the US?  (Read 962 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2015, 10:03:17 PM »

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 10:17:31 PM »

Generally yes,  but not in some places like New York City.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:54:34 PM »

Of course, in order to snapchat their genitals at each other during class, and what not.  #freedom
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »

What planet are you from?

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 11:05:35 PM »

At least he's within our solar system.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:08:31 PM »

Are you sure?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 09:38:19 PM »

Yes, but they're supposed to be shut off and out of sight, at least around here at my school.

Some teachers, however, are more lenient:
1) Some allow us to use our phones for music, but we're not supposed to have them out......usually people will use their phone for whatever reason if this is what's allowed. 
2) Others say cell phone use is for "academic purposes only" - i.e. taking pictures of problems or answer keys for use outside of school.  This basically means a free-for-all with respect to cell-phone use. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »

Do students bring cell phones anyways?  I have a hard time believing NYC schools have no student cell phones in them.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 10:01:59 PM »

Yes, but they can't be used.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 10:06:50 PM »

Do students bring cell phones anyways?  I have a hard time believing NYC schools have no student cell phones in them.

I'm sure some do.  Stores near schools will often hold phones for kids while they're in school.  It seems pretty ridiculous overall.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »

Some can, and many do.

I'm tempted to say that mine cannot and will not, but who knows?  By the time the teenage years come I may mellow out.  Last year my son started bringing his Galaxy Tab 3 tablet to his elementary school.  At first I was very reluctant, but apparently "all the other kids are doing it."  At my son's elementary school digital communication devices such as tablets and phones can only be used during certain allowed times, and only if the parent signs a consent form indicating that they have read the school policy.  

There's a pretty strict policy at the local high school regarding the use of mobile phones and other such devices.  They can be used only before and after classes, during passing times, and in classes only if the teacher gives written permission, and violations of the policy result in possible confiscation.  The device is returned to the parent only after the parent meets with a school official, so I would imagine that many parents just don't give their teenagers the mobile devices for school use, rather than deal with the school's policy.  

In the university, it's a mixed bag.  Some professors embrace and encourage them.  Others have a policy so strict that students are required to leave the class if the professors see even the corner of the phone sticking out of the students pocket.  I know at least one sociology professor who has such a policy and she has no qualms about enforcing it.  Some don't mention it in their syllabi, but deal with contingencies on a pro re nata basis.  I've never put a statement in any of my syllabi regarding the use of mobile phones.  Generally, I don't mind them so long as they're not bothering me or other students, and in some cases they have proved handy, although personal communication devices are strictly forbidden during in-class examinations.  This rule, delivered verbally at the outset of the exam, has thus far has been taken seriously by students.  Or so it seems.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »

For one of my university courses this fall all the content will run though an app, even the assigned text book will have no hardcopy unless a student prints it. A mobile device will be preferred both in and out of class, though students can use a desktop machine outside of class as well.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »

I know NYC has had a policy that's been strict for a long time, but even when I was in high school 10 years ago, people ignored it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »

I always did.

9th Grade (2002-2003):

10th Grade (2003-2004):

11th Grade (2004-2005):

12th Grade (2005-2006):
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 10:41:05 PM »

My generation was the first serious group at my school to have them. I was in High school from 2007-11 and cell's exploded then. By my sophmore year everyone except me were texting junkies.

I never got the appeal of it I hated it. It got banned in classes because teachers got fed up of seeing them. People still texted and done all kinds of crap.

Now the kids are more sillier and sillier and do the video stuff. That's way to out there for me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies