Atlas Forum Operating System Market Share
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:54:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Atlas Forum Operating System Market Share
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What operating system does the computer you use to access the forum have?
Windows 7

Windows XP

Windows 8.1

Mac OS X 10.10

Windows 8

Windows Vista

Linux

Windows 10

Mac OS X 10.9 or older

Older Windows (NT, 2000, ME, 9x)

Other:

I use a mobile device

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Atlas Forum Operating System Market Share  (Read 1195 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2015, 12:10:25 AM »

I was on one of those web safaris and wound up on a page about Operating System Market Share and found out something hilarious.

Windows XP actually rebounded after crashing in October and November and almost reached 20% in January. It has eased back off again but remains in second place. At this point an XP holdout is probably in Asia, an ATM, a Nostalgia Nut, someone who wants to stick it to Micro$..T or some combination of the four. But aside from reveling in the fact that the XPerience continues to ousthine three of its four successors, more then a year after being sent adrift by its creators, I got curious as to how the forum looks on this question.

Naturally I expect the numbers to be much different. Far less Windows overall and more Mac for one. Tongue

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:13:50 AM »

Clicked 8, meant to click 8.1 Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:36:50 AM »

The four horsemen have not yet become visible on the horizon of my beautiful grassy hill desktop background. Tongue And even if they were, they would be stymied by my impenetrable wall of icons and files. Evil

And I also have three saved back up images.

IE 8 doesn't work on many sites, including the one Griffin uses as RG in Atlasia so I downloaded Chrome for that. I still use IE 8 generally though. Other than that, my computer headaches have all been hardware related stemming from the January 12th, 2013 incident.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »

Other: Win 8.1 and a mobile device. This survey should have allowed us to pick multiple OSes.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »

I use an 8-year-old Gateway laptop that runs Windows Vista.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:45:42 AM »

Windows 7
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 08:31:54 AM »

The "XP-erience" is pretty awful, but when you're unable to afford (or don't know the first thing about upgrading to) better hardware or a new system, it's pretty stable and works alright for a lot of normal PC usage.

Windows 7 is the new XP. I'm on 8.1, looking forward to 10, and even though 8 is kind of irritating I don't really care because the start menu is rarely ventured into and all of the development programs I want to use work very well on the system I've built.

I am still going to keep an older PC around with XP (and other OS's) though for retro gaming and fun because I'm a dork, but 8 isn't as bad as it sounds once you get used to it. Kind of like your mom.

Boom.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:43 PM »

Please explain the order of these poll options.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2015, 06:29:24 PM by Murica! »

8.1, though hopefully that once I finally build a new rig that I'll get 10.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »

Pentium II 266 running Windows95 Y0.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »

Vista.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

Chrome OS (too poor for a good computer, so I'm stuck with a glorified tablet)

Not sure if that's Linux or Other though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »

Chrome OS (too poor for a good computer, so I'm stuck with a glorified tablet)

Not sure if that's Linux or Other though.
Chrome OS is a modified Linux.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 05:30:28 PM »

OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) on a 15" MacBook Pro (primary computer)

I've got the beta release of Windows 10 running on a virtual machine but haven't really played around with it much.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 11:31:56 PM »

Please explain the order of these poll options.

If I was going to exhibit bias, I would have put XP number one. Tongue

No, the order is based on current level of market share as determined by site I linked about.

Granted there are other sites, with different stardards.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 11:56:44 PM »

The "XP-erience" is pretty awful, but when you're unable to afford (or don't know the first thing about upgrading to) better hardware or a new system, it's pretty stable and works alright for a lot of normal PC usage.

Windows 7 is the new XP. I'm on 8.1, looking forward to 10, and even though 8 is kind of irritating I don't really care because the start menu is rarely ventured into and all of the development programs I want to use work very well on the system I've built.

I am still going to keep an older PC around with XP (and other OS's) though for retro gaming and fun because I'm a dork, but 8 isn't as bad as it sounds once you get used to it. Kind of like your mom.

Boom.

I have a Windows Seven machine. It may be a lot of things, but it is not XP. 

I suppose I should give some background. You mention poverty, I spent the nineties with mostly Atari 800 and 400s. Whenever we got a machine with Windows 95 it didn't last because of money. When we finally got and kept a Windows computer, it was a Compaq with Windows 98. Then we bought a new HP with Windows XP in 2002 and it was a piece of crap. I hated XP and loved 95 for much of the early 2000s. I got my hands on a Gateway with Windows 98 that I used for "retro-gaming" though keeping it running was always a challenge. Largely because of mthe meddling of my relatives. 

I came out of this with two experiences, stability and functionality are more important than the latest thing running some feature I have no use for. By 2005 when I got this computer, Window XP had been through the ringer and SP 2 was leagues better than SP 1 or straight up XP in 2002. Even better, XP SP 3 is in my view the best Windows ever made. Especially when compared to Vista released the year prior. I have never had to reinstall Windows in nine years. This install has survived two hard drive migrations and runs better now than it did two years ago (Now if only I could get the hardware bs sorted out so that I can play my mid to late 2000's games like The Godfather and Company of Heroes).

My history with Windows Seven only served to confirm my previous opinions. Out of the box, that system made me itch to just throw it back in the box and turn on the XP machine. It spent the nine of the first twelve months that I had it crashed and still to this day has Windows system errors that are unresolved. It doesn't help that it is now woefully short of ram and thus is slower than the XP machine.

Operating Systems age like fine wine. The older they are, the more ironed out they are. And with Micro$h#t back crapping out junk every other year just like before XP, I highly doubt it will match it again. Windows Seven might, but Micro$oft will never repeat allow a repeat of the XPerience because that was potential disaster to the bottomline to let an OS mature that much and become great. Seven will be dead well short of that benchmark.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 12:07:07 AM »

Win 7 is actually really stable.  Really, all the NT based MS OSes (2k,XP,Vista,7,8,10) are stable.  It's my second favorite OS ever behind Win2k.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 12:15:54 AM »

Win 7 is actually really stable.  Really, all the NT based MS OSes (2k,XP,Vista,7,8,10) are stable.  It's my second favorite OS ever behind Win2k.

Overal in relative comparison to 9x, yes. But that doesn't change the fact that XP out of the box in 2002 and Windows Seven in 2009/2010 (full disclosure I got mine in Jan 2012, but it was unoppened 2009 production), both loved to shower you with the BSODs.

My Windows Seven machine is getting better, hence my point. With updates and patches, it is getting better. However, therein lies the point. Seven is already in its extended support phase with mainstream support having ended. It probably should get another SP, but it probably won't now, not with them peddling 10.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 01:14:17 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 05:57:31 AM »

Overal in relative comparison to 9x, yes. But that doesn't change the fact that XP out of the box in 2002 and Windows Seven in 2009/2010 (full disclosure I got mine in Jan 2012, but it was unoppened 2009 production), both loved to shower you with the BSODs.

My Windows Seven machine is getting better, hence my point. With updates and patches, it is getting better. However, therein lies the point. Seven is already in its extended support phase with mainstream support having ended. It probably should get another SP, but it probably won't now, not with them peddling 10.
You might have just had some bad luck (or bad hardware), 7 ran good for most people from word go (Vista did had some early problems though).

But I do agree with your larger point.  The most stable OSes are the older ones that have been patched to hell and back and MS loves to stop supporting the old, stable ones so they can sell you a knew one that might have cool new toys, but isn't as stable (and doesn't feel "right") as the old one.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 01:54:14 AM »

I have Windows 8 but I loath it. I miss the thing you could click and being able to look at pictures/pdf's without waiting ages for a screen on the side to work. 7 was awesome in hindsight. It was classic windows but developed too.

I can't wait to try 10 out here soon, I just hope it isn't such a pain the behind to play old games on it.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 11:59:37 PM »

I do everything exclusively off of an iPhone (iOS 7), I haven't owned a real computer in three years.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 02:20:57 AM »

You might have just had some bad luck (or bad hardware), 7 ran good for most people from word go (Vista did had some early problems though).

But I do agree with your larger point.  The most stable OSes are the older ones that have been patched to hell and back and MS loves to stop supporting the old, stable ones so they can sell you a knew one that might have cool new toys, but isn't as stable (and doesn't feel "right") as the old one.

Bad luck with hardware? Do you know how many hard drives I have been through?  Six in the last ten years, four in this machine, two in an old gateway.

The point though is Windows XP is far more durable. I have littearly cloned it off a dying hard drive and still got it to work. I doubt seven would withstand the same pressure. The trend has been to replace not repair and that has only gotten worse.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 01:19:05 PM »

Windows 7, but I have an old computer that runs on XP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies