World War 1 Family History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:22:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  World War 1 Family History
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World War 1 Family History  (Read 294 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »

So, like most people in Britain (which is hardly surprising given the sheer scale of the event) I have several ancestors who fought in the First World War, and, again like a lot of other people the family still has a lot of artefacts from it.

Most of these are fairly uninteresting if you're not related to them, mainly being photos, field postcards, the medals which everyone got etc, but there are 2 very interesting letters, which I thought I'd share with the forum.

The first is from the local Church of Scotland Minister to my Great Grandfather Tom, sent just before he went to the front for the first time:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Square brackets are where I'm not certain about the words.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »

Funnily enough I found my grand grandads WW1 stuff, he served as a private on the western front and I read his entire war diaries from 1914 to 1917. Most of it was pretty boring stuff but some of it was really depressing. From what I heard he refused to talk about it, and it lead to him becoming pretty depressed in his later life. Took a massive toil on people
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies