Libyan WMD disarmament effects
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:27:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Libyan WMD disarmament effects
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Libyan WMD disarmament effects  (Read 8736 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2003, 02:08:33 PM »

I've seen it mentioned on my Iran thread, but I think it is a potentially big enough event to deserve it's own post. For a good in depth analysis, see http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=749 .

The Libyans have cut support for terrorists since '86, and now they have given up their WMD and long range missiles, w/o the US firing a shot. This will be viewed by many as proof that Bush's Iraq war has had a classic domino effect. However, others will show it as an easy  triumph of diplomacy, as opposed to the bloody triumph of war,soft power over hard power. My own views are similar to the former- Gadhafi saw Saddam taken out of a spider hole and doesn't want the same to happen to him.

Incidentally, Momar was squealed on the N/ Koreans, who were providing him aid. He was also much closer to a nuke then was generally thought.

So, how do you think this will effect politics at home? Will it be largely ignored? Will it hurt Dean? I assume Bush will make a big deal out of it in his SOTUA next month.

As a side note, will Doc Brown still be able to get those vital shipments of plutionium? He needs to recharge the DeLorean and get it to H.G.Wells, who is still pursuing Jack the Ripper through '70s Frisco.
DarthKosh

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 02:18:53 PM »

He didn't want to end up in a hole like Saddam.
DarthKosh

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 02:23:20 PM »

hopefully this and the capture of saddam will lead a sensible democrat like wesley clark who has a chance of beating bush into the nomination.
it may be wishful thinking, but anything to get dean out is good

Insane left will never let anyone that even seems centrist to win the nom.
M

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 02:24:01 PM »

That is a distinct possibility. But a lot of things have to go wrong for Dean and right for say, Clark or Lieberman. Even now, Dean's lead is commanding.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 02:25:40 PM »

Harry,

I doubt there is anything to derail Dean from the nomination.  Also, Clark is sounding just like Dean and the public is unaware that he was fired from his Army post.
DarthKosh

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 02:27:29 PM »

Harry,

I doubt there is anything to derail Dean from the nomination.  Also, Clark is sounding just like Dean and the public is unaware that he was fired from his Army post.

Plus Clark looks lost and doesn't want to be there.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 03:14:08 PM »

Harry,

He was fired? For what? Do you mean from his position as NATO Supreme Commander? I didn't know that, you'd think our politicians would be honest about their blunders!

HAHAHOHOHOHOHO!
DarthKosh

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 03:15:38 PM »

Harry,

He was fired? For what? Do you mean from his position as NATO Supreme Commander? I didn't know that, you'd think our politicians would be honest about their blunders!

HAHAHOHOHOHOHO!

He didn't listen to Clinton and he had him removed.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 03:23:13 PM »

hopefully this and the capture of saddam will lead a sensible democrat like wesley clark who has a chance of beating bush into the nomination.
it may be wishful thinking, but anything to get dean out is good
AMEN, BROTHER, AMEN.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 03:26:47 PM »

Harry,

HAHAHOHOHOHOHO!

He didn't listen to Clinton and he had him removed.
I didn't know that, about Clark. But, how is it that Clinton could remove him? It's all of NATO isn't it that has to make those decisions collectively, or are we just the free world's bully?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 03:47:03 PM »

Chris Michael,

Clinton didn't fire Clark.  Rather Clark was asked to retire early (instead of outright being fired) by Colen (Sec of Defense).  

As a part of the NATO force, Clark is FIRST and FOREMOST an American soldier....the US doesn't give up sovereignty over firing of its soldiers just because we enter into treaties.
jravnsbo

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 09:20:38 PM »

retire early or be fired, those are your choices Mr Clark

no big difference
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 10:36:57 AM »

Libya Ratifies Nuclear Test Ban Treaty

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20040114/ap_on_re_af/libya_nuclear
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 10:55:06 AM »

Don't forget that little bit about Clark coming within an inch of starting World War III.

After thinking all this over, I think having Clark get the nomination wouldn't really be any different than Dean getting the nomination.  Both can't win - not with the crap they have going against them.

Clark's past, his flip flops on every issue, his former support of Nixon and Reagan and GWB will hurt him in the general election - enough so that Bush will win, probably by a decent enough margin.  Clark isn't a centrist at all - he used to be, but not now that he's running for president.  Check out his stance on abortion - he says he wants to keep abortion legal until the DAY OF birth.  How crazy is that?  Clinton didn't even go that far.....

If he gets the nom, it'll be very fun to see a former military general not even win the military vote - which consistantly goes Republican.  lol

Here's hoping one of these two (Dean, Clark) will get the nomination!!  Or better yet, both of them as a ticket!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies