New NOAA Research Puts Global Warming 'Hiatus' in Doubt
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:11:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New NOAA Research Puts Global Warming 'Hiatus' in Doubt
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: New NOAA Research Puts Global Warming 'Hiatus' in Doubt  (Read 4238 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »

Climate threads need a Snowguy trigger warning.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2015, 11:41:00 PM »

Interestingly...warming in California is positively correlated to county population size!

There can be some of a heat island effect, but even the low population counties are still warming.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2015, 01:00:16 PM »

Of course, Jfern.  I'm not trying to say global warming isn't a thing.  I'm saying the collective freakout is unneccesary and harmful.  Not only to the economy, but also to other, more imminent environmental concerns.

Reduce, reuse, recycle is infinitely better advice than "OMFG IF WE DONT CHAIN OURSELVES TO THE COAL PLANT FENCE THE OCEAN WILL RISE 2 feet in the NEXT 20 YEARS!  Sorry Doctor Hansen, it didn't happen...

I get my climate science info from climate scientists and their research...not some moonbat "journalist" on Salon.com who just cites Bill effing Nye to PROVE the Texas floods were caused by co2 warming cuz warmer atmosphere holds something something moisture.

Hint:  I understand the climate and meteorological underpinnings as well as the real human impact (land use much?) that played into those floods.  Co2, at most, had almost nothing to do with it.

But nobody would care to read that.  Cuz Bill Nye is the science guy and I'm the stupid denier!
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2015, 01:20:39 PM »

Oh good, I thought you were one of the people who didn't think global warming was going on at all.

But we need to do some serious planning in order to curb the effects of climate change, even a two foot rise of the oceans would be devastating to some communities, especially in areas like Bangladesh where the government really can't put much towards protecting the communities along the coasts, and hundreds of thousands, if not millions, would be displaced from their homes in these high-density areas.

Climate change won't change much in Minnesota, but in poorer regions of the world, or even where I live, Florida, it would have a profound impact.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »

I hope millions upon millions *are* displaced from their ramshackle tin boxes into quality housing through economic growth.  Then I hope India and Bangladesh can invest in their infrastructure to withstand the very extreme climate they inhabit.  Getting tropical levels of annual rainfall all in 3 months is not an easy environment to adapt to! 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »

Of course, Jfern.  I'm not trying to say global warming isn't a thing.  I'm saying the collective freakout is unneccesary and harmful.  Not only to the economy, but also to other, more imminent environmental concerns.

Reduce, reuse, recycle is infinitely better advice than "OMFG IF WE DONT CHAIN OURSELVES TO THE COAL PLANT FENCE THE OCEAN WILL RISE 2 feet in the NEXT 20 YEARS!  Sorry Doctor Hansen, it didn't happen...

I get my climate science info from climate scientists and their research...not some moonbat "journalist" on Salon.com who just cites Bill effing Nye to PROVE the Texas floods were caused by co2 warming cuz warmer atmosphere holds something something moisture.

Hint:  I understand the climate and meteorological underpinnings as well as the real human impact (land use much?) that played into those floods.  Co2, at most, had almost nothing to do with it.

But nobody would care to read that.  Cuz Bill Nye is the science guy and I'm the stupid denier!

I don't see the evidence for this "collective freakout". If what you mean is that the rhetoric and histrionics adopted by some on the left hurts the cause of environmentalism more than it helps it, I agree. But I can't think of a single negative policy change enacted in the name of climate change, while our inaction on the issue is hurting our economy and the planet both in the short AND long term. We're protecting antiquated industries instead of evolving our economy to a more sustainable model.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:53 PM »

Allegedly environmentally conscious San Francisco has been accurately described as a "toilet" by the local newspaper yesterday.  Yet the home of Tom Steyer insists on lecturing the rest of the world.

My issue with the climate change activists isn't whether they are right or wrong.  It's that they see dollar signs in this - and they want to control the way the rest of us live.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »

My issue with the climate change activists isn't whether they are right or wrong.  It's that they see dollar signs in this

CountryClassSF: anti-capitalist at large
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »

Even if you can't say global warming caused a specific weather event, floods, hurricanes and so on are all more likely to occur with global warming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies