Why are conservatives becoming so unhinged over Caitlyn Jenner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:52:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are conservatives becoming so unhinged over Caitlyn Jenner?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why are conservatives becoming so unhinged over Caitlyn Jenner?  (Read 10232 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »

Rush Limbaugh doesn't like the fact that Caitlyn Jenner identifies as a Republican and wants the party to reject her.

And now Rick Perry's presidential kickoff somehow devolved into a collective hissy fit on Twitter over the transwoman Olympian.

How many more groups of people are conservatives going to go out of their way to be mean and unwelcoming towards?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:21:09 PM »

You didn't even mention Huckabee's tasteless transphobic joke, or that Rick Santorum exists.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »

Muh family values.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 10:04:52 PM »

I mean, if we're talking about this narrow subset of old-school social conservatives, they've always hated LGBT people. This isn't really something new.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 10:33:06 PM »

It's topics like this one that make me wish the ⸮ were part of standard punctuation, Still, I can't imagine anyone seriously asking this question, so while the percontation point used to mark rhetorical questions might be useful, it rarely is needed.  Social conservatives often decry homosexuality as "unnatural" despite all available evidence to the contrary.  Is it really surprising that they'd get in arms about the use of gender assignment procedures? (And that's leaving aside that the existence of various forms of third genders in human societies is fairly strong evidence that transgenderism has been around forever.)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:44:57 PM »

Because while social conservatives tend to dislike the gay/lesbian/bi part of LGBT, they are actively horrified by the "T" part of it.
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 11:04:56 PM »

You're surprised? Along with abortion, gay panic has been the socons bread and butter for a couple of decades now.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2015, 01:27:19 PM by Bob Enright »

Because it's being shoved in our faces - on magazines, on TV, everywhere.  Whether we like it or not.

Many are tired of her being heralded as a hero.  So she has Gender Identity Disorder.  Wants to become a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make her a knight?

She was given a "Courage" award at the expense of a  disabled vet and a brain cancer sufferer.  

(In the future, please use at a minimum, gender neutral pronouns when referring to transgender individuals, and preferably use the pronouns the individual in question uses in referring to eirself. Since it appears Caitlyn is using female pronouns please do so as well, except possibly when referring to something she did when she was still Bruce. - TF)
Knives
solopop
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:39:22 AM »

Because it's being shoved in our faces - on magazines, on TV, everywhere.  Whether we like it or not.

Many are tired of his being heralded as a hero.  So he has Gender Identity Disorder.  Wants to become a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make him a knight?

He was given a "Courage" award at the expense of a  disabled vet and a brain cancer sufferer. 

Why? Because trans people commit suicide at rates far greater than anyone else. And because people like you still don't have the common decency to refer to Caitlyn by the correct pronouns, trivializing the trans experience, HOW HARD IS TO TO TYPE SHE?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 12:44:12 AM »

Honestly they've been reacting better than I expected them to. Of course Limbaugh or Hannity will say something awful, but that's always the case. The biggest griping I saw came from that fake ESPY's story about Jenner beating a disabled Marine for an award.

Worth noting that Caitlyn Jenner is a lifelong conservative, and could probably be convinced to endorse a candidate for 2016.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 01:40:57 AM »

Caitlyn should speak at the RNC 2016.  It would show inclusion and acceptance but there probably is no way to control the crowd from booing and half the southern delegations walking out or just barfing.

But even with all that, it would be better than Clint Eastwood talking to a chair /zing
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:01:44 AM »

You didn't even mention Huckabee's tasteless transphobic joke, or that Rick Santorum exists.

frothy has been less awful than many other people regarding ms jenner, surprisingly enough
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 07:13:17 AM »

Because it's being shoved in our faces - on magazines, on TV, everywhere.  Whether we like it or not.

You don't have to like it or not. Your opinion (or anyone else's, for that matter) is irrelevant. If you don't like it, suck it up.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 07:27:13 AM »

Rush Limbaugh doesn't like the fact that Caitlyn Jenner identifies as a Republican and wants the party to reject her.

And now Rick Perry's presidential kickoff somehow devolved into a collective hissy fit on Twitter over the transwoman Olympian.

How many more groups of people are conservatives going to go out of their way to be mean and unwelcoming towards?

Did Perry say something about Jenner? I don't see anything about that. Your linked headline makes no sense to me. Anyway, I don't see much "unhinging" out there myself, other than Limbaugh's rant.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »

Because it's being shoved in our faces - on magazines, on TV, everywhere.  Whether we like it or not.

Many are tired of his her being heralded as a hero.  So he she has Gender Identity Disorder is transgender.  Wants to become Is a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make him her a knight?

He She was given a "Courage" award at the expense of a disabled vet and a brain cancer sufferer.  

I fixed all of the transphobic pronoun shaming you had in there. The last line is just a lie, though. ESPN didn't give Caitlyn Jenner the award at anyone's expense.

And also, things existing does not equate to things being "shoved in your face." Get real.
Hydera

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »

Many are tired of his being heralded as a hero.  So he has Gender Identity Disorder.  Wants to become a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make him a knight?

He was given a "Courage" award at the expense of a  disabled vet and a brain cancer sufferer.  

You know i kinda felt the same way too. Having something shoved in my face for years...

Like religion...
Samantha
totheleft
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -4.43

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »

Many are tired of his her being heralded as a hero.  So he she has Gender Identity Disorder is transgender.  Wants to become Is a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make him her a knight?

He She was given a "Courage" award at the expense of a disabled vet and a brain cancer sufferer.  

I fixed all of the transphobic pronoun shaming you had in there. The last line is just a lie, though. ESPN didn't give Caitlyn Jenner the award at anyone's expense.

And also, things existing does not equate to things being "shoved in your face." Get real.

The last line a million times over.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 10:32:49 AM »

I don't know, but it's sad.  Ms. Jenner gave this party some good PR, and what did its psycho base do?  Humiliate her?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 10:53:03 AM »
« Edited: June 05, 2015, 11:32:00 AM by Torie »

The Cult of Caitlyn confirms that there is nothing progressive in transgender politics. This is another guy who freaks out over the Jenner matter, and somehow finds the celebration of her new identity an act of transgender political fascism or something. What I simply fail to understand is just why some find Jenner's transformation so threatening and disturbing, and in this case simply reject out of hand that she has any claim to being a woman, either before or after. It's just f'ing weird to me frankly.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 11:18:13 AM »

The Cult of Caitlyn confirms that there is nothing progressive in transgender politics. This is another guy who freaks out over the Jenner matter, and somehow finds the celebration of her new identity an act of transgender political fascism or something. What I simply fail to understand is just why some find Jenner's transformation so threatening and disturbing, and in this case simply reject out of hand that he has any claim to being a woman, either before or after. It's just f'ing weird to me frankly.

That piece is maddening. It reminds me of the stuff CCSF says, where people saying or doing things the author doesn't like equate to SHOVING IT IN HIS FACE or SILENCING CRITICISM.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »

Yes, Brendan O'Neill is well-known as a nasty piece of work this side of the pond. One of those unpleasant Trot turned Tory tosspot without changing that fundamental facet of Trotskyism: evangelistic pigheadedness. He's one of those people that think racism is a fundamental part of working class culture, which tells it all really.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »

Many are tired of his her being heralded as a hero.  So he she has Gender Identity Disorder is transgenderWants to become Is a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make him her a knight?

I fixed all of the transphobic pronoun shaming you had in there.

Oh ffs...
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »

Many are tired of his her being heralded as a hero.  So he she has Gender Identity Disorder is transgenderWants to become Is a woman. Okay.  Why harp on it for days and days and days and make him her a knight?

I fixed all of the transphobic pronoun shaming you had in there.

Oh ffs...

So presumably you don't care if I refer to you with something other than the pronoun you prefer to go by? Cool.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 01:33:32 PM »

Because they miss Bruce.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2015, 01:45:11 PM »

Wait, are conservatives talking about this? Other than a minute long Rush clip and Mike Huckabee making a typical dumbass remark I hadn't noticed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies