Why are conservatives becoming so unhinged over Caitlyn Jenner?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:08:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are conservatives becoming so unhinged over Caitlyn Jenner?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Why are conservatives becoming so unhinged over Caitlyn Jenner?  (Read 10241 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »

Haha, it's okay to make homophobic jokes if they're not out of the closet.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2015, 07:12:25 PM »

I respond to the question (sarcastically, true enough, but with forethought) and I get called "hatefull."  Gramps changes the subject to homosexuality, and no one seems to notice. 

This isn't a rant against gramps, because I understand his call, but it is against the sad state in which we find ourselves today.

I sort of agree with muon, which is where I was going before I was viciously attacked by one of the three moderators who hasn't the balls to tell me which one he was.  Still, the more I think about it, the more I think that Indy Texas might have been on to something.  With apologies to William Shakespeare, a rose by any other name might not smell just as sweet.  I keep thinking of Muhammed Ali, which was a name I grew up with.  If I were just a bit older, I might know the name Cassius Clay from real life.  As it is, I know of it only from the books.

Bruce Jenner is a name I remember.  I remember it fondly.  I was about nine years old when Jenner made his manliest of man's mark on the scene.  I don't think any of it smells like homophobia.  It's as if I grew up speaking English and someone told me that today I had to speak German, or Russian.  That's not anti-Nazi, or anti-Communist.  It is, however, weird.

Even Freud admitted that "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2015, 07:33:21 PM »

I respond to the question (sarcastically, true enough, but with forethought) and I get called "hatefull."  Gramps changes the subject to homosexuality, and no one seems to notice. 

This isn't a rant against gramps, because I understand his call, but it is against the sad state in which we find ourselves today.

I sort of agree with muon, which is where I was going before I was viciously attacked by one of the three moderators who hasn't the balls to tell me which one he was.  Still, the more I think about it, the more I think that Indy Texas might have been on to something.  With apologies to William Shakespeare, a rose by any other name might not smell just as sweet.  I keep thinking of Muhammed Ali, which was a name I grew up with.  If I were just a bit older, I might know the name Cassius Clay from real life.  As it is, I know of it only from the books.

Bruce Jenner is a name I remember.  I remember it fondly.  I was about nine years old when Jenner made his manliest of man's mark on the scene.  I don't think any of it smells like homophobia.  It's as if I grew up speaking English and someone told me that today I had to speak German, or Russian.  That's not anti-Nazi, or anti-Communist.  It is, however, weird.

Even Freud admitted that "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

Did you see my previous post/image? I felt that it (facetiously) summarized this phenomenon pretty well (or well enough).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd venture to say the majority of young people in your country would know who the PM is and some of the cabinet officials. The US is unique in it's low-info ways.

It's true that most people don't follow politics as a whole, but at least inform themselves of who leaders are/who to vote for etc.

Do you honestly think that the majority of US teens can't name who the President is?

President sure because Obama has celebritized the presidency into pop culture. Many don't have a clue who Biden even is - just look at the state of our schools

What a dumb comment. Biden has 80%+ name recognition - if for a second you're implying that those numbers are possible without a majority of people under 30 (or even those 18 and under) knowing who he is, then you're delusional.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2015, 07:44:35 PM »

A valiant effort.  I admit that I had not noticed it.  I posted here in page three, only after noticing the thread.  I don't read cartoons well, but I think I understand yours. 

To be honest, I am not observing any society-wide unhingement, but then I don't watch the news much.  I just know that I first heard about this story maybe a month ago, while at the gym.  The story was that Bruce Jenner wants to be a girl.  If I said it didn't jolt me just a bit, then I'd be lying.  I assume that anyone old enough to remember the Montreal olympics would have had the same feeling.  But that feeling lasted only a few minutes.  After that, I didn't even think of it, till I noticed this thread, which is why I have a hard time believing that anyone is really becoming "unhinged" over this.  In fact, the only person becoming unhinged is the one who has chosen to do so, and is willing to pay surgeons lots of money to have those hinges uninstalled and then reinstalled in a different fashion.  And that person is, apparently, called Caitlyn.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2015, 08:28:13 AM »

If you disagree, then let's debate.  But don't be a dick and delete my post with false accusations of "hatefullness" if you don't agree.  It's weak and it's unfair, because I don't have the authority to disagree with your stupid posts, most of which I probably disagree with as well.  Stop misusing your moderator authority.  It's unethical.

You got 5 points for that?  Sigh.  Yes, at least they could PM you to debate the issue even now, but don't expect one.  Points are dolled out with impunity and anonymity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies