Windows 10 Comes Out July 29 This Year
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:35:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Windows 10 Comes Out July 29 This Year
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will you be buying it?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Windows 10 Comes Out July 29 This Year  (Read 1163 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2015, 11:36:47 PM »

Supposed to be the perfect bridge between those of us still using PCs (along with the requisite keyboard and mouse), and the more futuristic touch-screens that Apple pioneered. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 03:31:06 AM »

I haven't seen much about it that interests me. All my software is too old to run on it mostl ikely and any software that would require it, would be too new to work on my machines as far as hardware goes.

So frankly I have no need for it. I'll just keep gazzing into blissful serenity for another five years. When I need something newer, I go for a stroll along the mirrors edge in my Windows Seven machine.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 03:39:17 AM »

I've signed up for the free upgrade Microsoft has offered current Windows 7 and 8 users.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 06:34:03 AM »

Odd that they're offering a free upgrade.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 12:07:37 AM »

Odd that they're offering a free upgrade.

They are scared to death that a significant percentage will stick with Windows 7 and be a thorn in their side like XP's residual usage post support expiration. It could mean the difference between crazy rich and outrageously rich and Microsoft has to have the best, in profits that is. Seven has five years left before it faces the same axe, and it wants its share of the market displaced well before that time so it can kill it without anyone complaining.

They also fear that Windows Seven, just as both it and XP did with eight and XP did with Vista, will keep 10 from reaching market saturation. Something it is never going to achieve with a new Windows every other year. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/134760-pc-obsolescence-is-obsolete

Also, many people don't have the need to buy a new machine until the old one breaks, unlike in the 1990's and early 2000's.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 04:28:57 PM »

I'm one that likes to wait until the bugs are largely worked out before I buy an operating system.  Plus, I just bought a Windows 8 laptop right after Christmas so I don't need any new devices for quite a while.  I voted yes in the poll because I will be buying it eventually either out of will or out of no other option.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »

I'm one that likes to wait until the bugs are largely worked out before I buy an operating system.  Plus, I just bought a Windows 8 laptop right after Christmas so I don't need any new devices for quite a while.  I voted yes in the poll because I will be buying it eventually either out of will or out of no other option.
You don't need to buy it if you own Windows 8.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:45:55 PM »

You don't need to buy it if you own Windows 8.

I'm sure eventually I'll have to buy a whole new device with the new OS on there.  Hopefully, that'll be a long while, but it is a probability.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:55:14 PM »

Why would I change from Windows 7? I have zero interest in anything touch-related.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:17:41 AM »

It'll depend on how user friendly it is. Plus if my new laptop I will be getting at some point can handle Windows 7 or not if it comes down to me wanting to get rid of 10.

I hate 8 with a passion. Don't like everything on the side and how it takes ages to look at pics/pdf's. Plus I miss that button to the side.
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:16:52 AM »

Of course I won't buy it.

I'll be using the free upgrade on day one, of course. DirectX 12, here I come!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2015, 11:23:31 PM by © tweed »

will I get one of these free upgrades from Win 8.1 or is it only for Win Vista/7?

EDIT: looks like the answer is "yes", accd. to Windows official site, but "no" for Win Vista and previous releases (?)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »

Why would I change from Windows 7? I have zero interest in anything touch-related.

the difference between the Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 experiences is vastly overstated.  it took me about 3 minutes to get acquainted, and I'm more or less a highly functioning computer illiterate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »

I just got a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1 a few months ago and I'm loving both so far, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 12:56:54 AM »

I rather enjoy my Windows 8.1.  I haven't had any problems with it and I've had the Windows 8/8.1 platform since August 2013, almost 2 years now.  In fact, I've had fewer problems with Windows 8 than I did with 7.  My mom has had trouble with the initial 8.1 upgrade basically slaughtering her computer forcing her to get a new one, so I know the problems it can cause, but I guess I've been very fortunate so far.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 04:05:05 AM »

I will be getting the free upgrade, once it's deployed next month.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »

the difference between the Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 experiences is vastly overstated.  it took me about 3 minutes to get acquainted, and I'm more or less a highly functioning computer illiterate.

I am well acquainted with Windows 8 as my wife's computer has it, and I end up troubleshooting it plenty. I have no desire to have it on mine.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »

Of course I wont buy it I am a Windows 8.1 user which means I get a free upgrade
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »

Of course I wont buy it I am a Windows 8.1 user which means I get a free upgrade

Judging by your posting history, it doesn't seem you'll have enough processing power to get the upgrade anyway.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 02:26:26 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2015, 02:29:53 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Judging by your posting history, it doesn't seem you'll have enough processing power to get the upgrade anyway.

In that case he should consider downgrading to XP. Evil Tongue Stay off the naughty sites, don't open any unsolicited mail or pop-ups, run a good firewall and Anti-virus (you know the crap you have to do on every windows regardless) and you should be pretty secure. Of course it lacks that ASRL or whatever it is called, but hell, Windows have never been crash hot with security and 10 will be no different so the marginal difference is nill unless you have $$$ to be made off the situation, then it is W2K, only real, times a billion.

But if speed is what you wwant, then 2.5 or 3 gig of processor, most of which is actually at your disposal instead of being sapped by the latest Windows. He'll be posting "like never before." Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies