Republican Congress Maintains Cuban Travel Restrictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:49:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican Congress Maintains Cuban Travel Restrictions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Republican Congress Maintains Cuban Travel Restrictions  (Read 3434 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2015, 08:28:05 PM »

I am amazed that there are still posters who are seriously trying to refute CCSF's inanities.

I still don't understand why him and a couple of others haven't been banned for bigotry and trolling (if either of those are bannable).

Regarding the topic matter though, I say that if a policy isn't working (like the old Cuba policy), change it.

Sorry.  There are people in this world and on this forum who aren't as "progressive" as yourself.  They have every right to have their say and be heard.  Just because you disagree with them doesn't make them trolls or bigots any more than your ultra-"progressive" views makes you a troll.  I am quite sick of so-called "progressives" as yourself calling to ban or ignore the few conservatives on this forum who express their conservative beliefs.  There is nothing progressive about censorship.

As for the topic on hand, the Cuba travel ban should continue as long as the Castros are in power in communist Cuba.  There is no reason to provide support for communist terrorists like the Castros.  Obama's warming relations with Cuba is yet another example of Obama's disastrous foreign policy, where he coddles our enemies while shirking our allies.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2015, 10:07:24 PM »

I am amazed that there are still posters who are seriously trying to refute CCSF's inanities.

I still don't understand why him and a couple of others haven't been banned for bigotry and trolling (if either of those are bannable).

Regarding the topic matter though, I say that if a policy isn't working (like the old Cuba policy), change it.

Sorry.  There are people in this world and on this forum who aren't as "progressive" as yourself.  They have every right to have their say and be heard.  Just because you disagree with them doesn't make them trolls or bigots any more than your ultra-"progressive" views makes you a troll.  I am quite sick of so-called "progressives" as yourself calling to ban or ignore the few conservatives on this forum who express their conservative beliefs.  There is nothing progressive about censorship.

Stop whining.
If ideology was the reason we want people like CCSF and krazey banned then why don't we ask the same thing for you?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »

Stop whining.
If ideology was the reason we want people like CCSF and krazey banned then why don't we ask the same thing for you?

Because I'm not as vocal as CCSF and Krazen about my conservative beliefs.  If I were, I'd be on your hit list, too.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »

As for the topic on hand, the Cuba travel ban should continue as long as the Castros are in power in communist Cuba.  There is no reason to provide support for communist terrorists like the Castros.  Obama's warming relations with Cuba is yet another example of Obama's disastrous foreign policy, where he coddles our enemies while shirking our allies.

No body is calling for the bans of JCL, or Wulfric, or half a dozen other people with far-right social views on this forum. Because they can state their beliefs without coming off as mean-spirited monsters.

Also, what allies besides Israel and Saudi Arabia ("allies" being a matter of opinion) do you honestly think Obama has "shirked".
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2015, 10:18:15 PM »

Sorry.  There are people in this world and on this forum who aren't as "progressive" as yourself.  They have every right to have their say and be heard.  Just because you disagree with them doesn't make them trolls or bigots any more than your ultra-"progressive" views makes you a troll.  I am quite sick of so-called "progressives" as yourself calling to ban or ignore the few conservatives on this forum who express their conservative beliefs.  There is nothing progressive about censorship.

Serious question: would you be opposed to the banning of a poster who came out in support of slavery? Of revoking a woman's right to vote? Some views are just inherently abhorrent, and eventually society catches up and breaks down the religious or governmental structures that are imposing them writ large. I'm sorry that you haven't caught up because you were indoctrinated as a youth. I hope you can break out of it, I really do; when I broke the dogmatic shackles it was one of the most liberating days of my life.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This statement is so flippantly incorrect, it is astounding. Cuba revoked any support of terrorism as a foreign policy tool in 1992. Nor does Obama shirk our allies. Stop drinking the partisan kool-aid and actually take a look at what Obama has accomplished and does.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2015, 10:23:08 PM »

Stop whining.

Because I'm not as vocal as CCSF and Krazen about my conservative beliefs.  If I were, I'd be on your hit list, too.

You're also more coherent than CCSF and Krazen.  That being said, there are a very large number of normal Americans, who, if given an Atlas account, would be accused of "trolling" upon posting.  For instance, think about the JJ Lawhorn song "Answer to No One."  This song resonates with much of the more downscale, Southern and rural parts of the GOP base.  If someone started posting like that, they would tick a lot of folks out.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2015, 10:32:34 PM »

I agree with you, NYM. That's troubling too, and very hypocritical. And you're right to call those who support one standard for one and not the other out on their hypocrisy.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2015, 12:39:48 AM »

The GOP is the party of choice for elderly, wealthy former Batista supporters in Miami. Also, they're not about to grant Obama any concessions, now that they have both houses of Congress.

Can't say I'm surprised by this.

Finally, someone calls them what they are.

Shut the hell up. As someone with a Cuban background from my dad's side of the family I'm appalled that you would refer to the Miami Cuban community that way. My grandparents supported the Cuban Revolution as most others did because Fidel Castro hid the fact that he was, and still is a Marxist-Leninist who idealizes Stalin. How the Hell would you like it if I called Russians in this counrty Kremlin apologists or refered to southern posters on this board as the sons of the George Wallace generation. I would deserve to be banned if I kept insisting crap like that and hope you jerks take back what you said. Even if you do view them as misguided, give them some fricking respect. My family was ostracized from society for having anti-castro sentiment and I have other relatives in shackles 90 miles south of where my aunt lives in Miami.

If you weren't referring to Cubans in Florida (whom a majority of support ending the embargo you described), I offer my sincerest condolences.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2015, 01:11:37 AM »

Have I made a fuss about you? Or RogueBeaver (for example)? Or Oakvale or other notable conservatives like JCL or Wulfric or whoever? No, I haven't. My beef with CCSF is specifically that he expresses bigotry (hate) towards those who he considers too pro-gay, then whines about how he's persecuted for being an anti-gay LGBT person. He expresses the belief that he hates himself for being gay, and lashes out against everyone. He's either very self-hating, or trolling. He inserts his rhetoric into every thread he's in, though it doesn't help that people respond to him.

And for that matter, I also tire of the rhetoric Snowstalker and the other far-left posters. They just don't act insane in every thread they post in. And yes, there is a bit of a partisan bias here.

Responding to your paragraph on the topic at hand: what happens when a policy in place for literally several generations isn't working anymore? Do we keep the policy and keep antagonizing the younger Cubans who probably have no love for Castro?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2015, 12:31:53 PM »

Just because this policy hasn't worked in 56 years doesn't mean it won't magically work tomorrow...
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »

Just because this policy hasn't worked in 56 years doesn't mean it won't magically work tomorrow...

LOLOLOL
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »

If they allow us the Cuban cigars, maybe we'll talk.

What would you do with them?...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies