Do you consider people who break laws you dislike to be freedom fighters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:11:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you consider people who break laws you dislike to be freedom fighters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you consider people who break laws you dislike to be freedom fighters?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Do you consider people who break laws you dislike to be freedom fighters?  (Read 5723 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2005, 09:30:55 AM »

it's your choose.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 09:38:49 AM »

It depends on the law.

If it is something that blatantly violates principal human rights and has very little logic to it, yes.

Otherwise, not really. And I think most tax evaders are just doing it out of self-interest, not fighting for the greater good.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 09:40:55 AM »

Freedom fighters fight for everyone's right to do something - they don't do it just for themselves. For instance, you'll find that most drug dealers are just in the business for money, not because they think drugs should be legal.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 09:41:25 AM »

No, I think they're simply lawbreakers.  I think it's time to be honest about democracy.  There are laws we like and laws we don't like.  And we accept majority rule.  I think I sympathize, even empathize, with lawbreakers on a daily basis, but I don't think it's noble to give in to the mental masturbation of pretending that they're breaking laws in some quest for the greater good of mankind.  When you're getting high, you're just getting high.  When you're having sex with a young man-child, you're just having sex with a young man-child.  When you're liberating money from the prisons known as banks, you're just stealing.  There are those who work legitimately and soberly, through the appropriate means, as is the custom in democratically run republics, to change laws.  These are lawyers and teachers and activists, and they may reasonably be called "freedom fighters" in a sense.  But the lawbreaker is simply the lawbreaker.  I bear him no grudge, mind you, but let's be honest.
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:56:08 AM »

Nope
Most likely they're just opportunists.

I suppose if they hold demonstrations, but that really has little effect.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 11:52:32 AM »

but I don't think it's noble to give in to the mental masturbation of pretending that they're breaking laws in some quest for the greater good of mankind. 

I never meant to imply the above.  When I say NAMBLA members and drug dealers are freedom fighters, I mean they're simply fighting for their own freedom.  What kind of ass would fight for someone else's freedom?

NAMBLA of course is a political organization, but free-lance pedophiles are freedom fighters as well.  I think what makes drug dealers so appealing as freedom fighters is once in a great while they actually kill one of State's enforcers (cops).

Of course, one might say that murderers in general are fighting for the freedom to commit murder..  however at least in this case society has a good argument that murder has a negative effect on its members.  Drug use of course has no effect on others. 

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 12:07:31 PM »

scabs are freedom fighters.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 03:10:36 PM »

scabs are the type that would "survive in the wild"

union members are a drag on the whole species, no doubt.

But scabs are just like the junk peddlers and the whores and the petty thieves.  Just trying to make a living.  Certainly not fighting for anyone's freedom.  It's okay not to always have superlatives, you know.  It's possible that some things are neither bad nor good.  They just are.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 03:32:07 PM »

No, I think they're simply lawbreakers.  I think it's time to be honest about democracy.  There are laws we like and laws we don't like.  And we accept majority rule.  I think I sympathize, even empathize, with lawbreakers on a daily basis, but I don't think it's noble to give in to the mental masturbation of pretending that they're breaking laws in some quest for the greater good of mankind.  When you're getting high, you're just getting high.  When you're having sex with a young man-child, you're just having sex with a young man-child.  When you're liberating money from the prisons known as banks, you're just stealing.  There are those who work legitimately and soberly, through the appropriate means, as is the custom in democratically run republics, to change laws.  These are lawyers and teachers and activists, and they may reasonably be called "freedom fighters" in a sense.  But the lawbreaker is simply the lawbreaker.  I bear him no grudge, mind you, but let's be honest.

And what of 'colored' people who sit on the 'white' section of the bus.  Or those crazy folks who dressed up as indians and poured tea into the Boston harbor to protest taxation without representation.

I think Alcon's got it down perfect.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 03:55:37 PM »

I agree with Alcon, but I would say that they are practicing civil disobedience.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 05:07:44 PM »

NAMBLA of course is a political organization, but free-lance pedophiles are freedom fighters as well.  I think what makes drug dealers so appealing as freedom fighters is once in a great while they actually kill one of State's enforcers (cops).

Okay, that's going in my signature.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 05:10:38 PM »

I support tax evasion, but that's about it.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 05:52:03 PM »

If it involves violence, no.
TX_1824
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.06, S: 2.17

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 05:54:46 PM »

Too many variables to simply answer with a "yes" or "no".
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 07:48:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If they accept the legal consequences for their actions, like King did.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 07:49:14 PM »

I never meant to imply the above.  When I say NAMBLA members and drug dealers are freedom fighters, I mean they're simply fighting for their own freedom.  What kind of ass would fight for someone else's freedom?

Everyone is a freedom fighter then.  Everyone pursues their freedoms as they see them.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 08:13:38 PM »

It depends on the law.

If it is something that blatantly violates principal human rights and has very little logic to it, yes.

Otherwise, not really. And I think most tax evaders are just doing it out of self-interest, not fighting for the greater good.

I agree 100%.  While there are some genuine freedom fighters, I think most people that claim to be are simply opportunistic, and are looking to falsely turn that into a virtue.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 08:14:27 PM »

Does that mean I'm a freedom fighter because I speed, and accept the consequences when I get nailed? Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 11:07:47 PM »

Does that mean I'm a freedom fighter because I speed, and accept the consequences when I get nailed? Smiley

I don't oppose speeding laws and I doubt you were speeding as a statement.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 05:15:57 AM »

I don't oppose speeding laws and I doubt you were speeding as a statement.

I realize that.  I was only kidding around, man...Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 06:30:03 AM »

What Angus said. Wise as often.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 01:15:52 PM »

Nope, they're not freedom fighters.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 11:50:52 PM »

I refuse to go to jail!!!!
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »

Depends on the type of law and the motivations behind breaking it.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 04:01:10 PM »

I consider them lawbreakers with good intentions.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies