Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars endorses Marco Rubio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:52:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars endorses Marco Rubio
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rick Harrison of Pawn Stars endorses Marco Rubio  (Read 3900 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 05, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/05/22/pawn-stars-rick-harrison-endorses-marco-rubio-president

Game changer!
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »

interesting...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »

He struck me as a Rand Paul type of guy.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:43:14 PM »

He always struck me as a liberal. For one, he lives in Vegas (liberal city). Also, his father said on one episode that he voted for Kennedy. I think it would be odd that "the old man" is a democrat, and his son is a republican.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 08:53:15 PM »

To be honest, Pawn Stars is one of the better shows on the History Channel at the moment... And that's not a compliment to Pawn Stars.

And at least he's not endorsing Ben Carson or Donald Trump.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 04:29:57 AM »

Ah I also thought he'd be at least leaning R. I know his dad also said that Ike was the best President, tbh I think most people that age love Eisenhower and then vote Kennedy
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »

Ah I also thought he'd be at least leaning R. I know his dad also said that Ike was the best President, tbh I think most people that age love Eisenhower and then vote Kennedy

I have also heard Rick Harrison say on the show that William Henry Harrison (Whig), and Benjamin Harrison (Republican) are ancestors of his.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 01:29:26 PM »

He always struck me as a liberal. For one, he lives in Vegas (liberal city). Also, his father said on one episode that he voted for Kennedy. I think it would be odd that "the old man" is a democrat, and his son is a republican.

Las Vegas is liberal, but no more so than any other city. It's not like it's San Francisco. Also, he's a successful white small business owner, a demographic that typically votes Republican.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

Las Vegas is liberal, but no more so than any other city. It's not like it's San Francisco. Also, he's a successful white small business owner, a demographic that typically votes Republican.

He's worth 17 million-seems like Joe the Plumber Tongue
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »

He's worth 17 million-seems like Joe the Plumber Tongue

Rick Harrison is 200 times more likeable and coherent than Joe the Plumber.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 04:28:44 PM »

Also, wasn't Nevada more or less safely Democratic up until the mid-20th century? You had a Mormon constituency that hadn't shifted firmly into the GOP camp and remnants of union and mining-inspired populism.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2015, 07:56:05 AM by Leinad »

Also, his father said on one episode that he voted for Kennedy. I think it would be odd that "the old man" is a democrat, and his son is a republican.

Democrat in 1960 is much different than Democrat in 2016. Different issues, different positions, et cetera. Lots of people who had a party affiliation back then have since switched, like Hillary Clinton and Rick Perry. The south was once more solid for the Democrats than it is now for the Republicans.

Also, wasn't Nevada more or less safely Democratic up until the mid-20th century? You had a Mormon constituency that hadn't shifted firmly into the GOP camp and remnants of union and mining-inspired populism.

I don't think they were in Nevada in 1960. I think Rick was born in Virginia.

Edit: Rick Harrison was born in 1965 in Lexington, North Carolina. They moved to Nevada in 1981.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:42 AM »

Also, his father said on one episode that he voted for Kennedy. I think it would be odd that "the old man" is a democrat, and his son is a republican.

Democrat in 1960 is much different than Democrat in 2016. Different issues, different positions, et cetera. Lots of people who had a party affiliation back then have since switched, like Hillary Clinton and Rick Perry. The south was once more solid for the Democrats than it is now for the Republicans.

Kennedy was just as liberal as many Democrats today. It's a perfectly fine point.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »

Kennedy was just as liberal as many Democrats today. It's a perfectly fine point.

There's a myth that JFK was some sort of ultra conservative who hated the liberal wing of the party-ironic when him, and by without a doubt his two brothers were two of the most liberal senators
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »

There's a myth that JFK was some sort of ultra conservative who hated the liberal wing of the party-ironic when him, and by without a doubt his two brothers were two of the most liberal senators

JFK is the Right's favorite target of revisionism, just as Reagan is the Left's favorite.

Democrats don't want to cut taxes? "Bu-bu-but, John F. Kennedy cut taxes!"

Republicans don't want to raise taxes? "Bu-bu-but, even Ronald Reagan raised them!"
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2015, 02:49:40 PM »

You are all looking at this the wrong way. Look at how every time a war artifact comes up on the show the guys start going on about America and freedom, they are clearly interventionists. A moderate pro-business candidate with hardline anti-communist and interventionist policy like Rubio is exactly who I would expect them to support.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:46 PM »

Everybody's "old man" supported Kennedy, for God's sake. Elsewise, it wouldn't fit the narrative. And the "Old Man" probably has more of an imprint of the New Deal days on his memory and childhood, and was likely far more effected by it than young Rick. As well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that there are a number of mainstream Republicans who would express some amount of respect for JFK, and that the average Republican voter wouldn't be completely disavowed for not hating FDR (I said "voter", not "politician", and the point still stands). Not every person's memory is absurdly partisan. Without reading the article, Rick's probably not absurdly political, but he is a business owner who recognizes his interests. As such, he has full license to have reverence for the "great men of history" or whathaveyou and still vote Republican.

Haha, my Dad, who is about as staunch a chamber of commerce type Republican as they come will even get sentimental over JFK.  He's one of the JFK-would-be-a-Republican-today types, who are not rare. My grandparents on the other hand are not so glowing about JFK's tenure and my grandma will express considerable regret for having voted for him. The rest of her extended family (yes, Catholic) did not.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 12:21:00 AM »

Regardless of who or what Jack Kennedy really was, voting for him in 1960 is substantially different than voting for him now. Or are we to assume that a majority of 1960 Georgia, South Carolina, & Arkansas would vote for President Obama? My grandpa said he never liked Nixon, and he would have certainly been old enough to vote in at least Nixon's latter two elections. Does that mean that a relatively conservative Italian who worked in the auto industry and doesn't support interracial marriage would be a Democrat today?

I never ing said that calm down-I just said JFK was a liberal christ
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 12:45:32 AM »

As elections go, it would seem that Barack Obama won some of the constituencies that Dwight Eisenhower won in 1952 and 1956  -- twice. The geography of the vote (Ike winning Massachusetts and Minnesota together, and twice -- which no Republican has since done even in 49-state blowouts --  makes such undeniable.

The definitive moderate Republican may have been Dwight Eisenhower, and I have heard plenty of Democrats praise the Eisenhower Presidency. He went along with Supreme Court rulings that outlawed segregationist practices, stayed clear of the McCarthy bandwagon, and let McCarthy implode.

gray -- did not vote in 1952 or 1956
white -- Eisenhower twice, Obama twice
deep blue -- Republican all four elections
light blue -- Republican all but 2008 (I assume that greater Omaha went for Ike twice)
light green -- Eisenhower once, Stevenson once, Obama never
dark green -- Stevenson twice, Obama never
pink -- Stevenson twice, Obama once

No state voted Democratic all four times, so no state is in deep red.

Now, Carter vs. Obama:

If anyone has any doubt that the Presidential Election of 1976 is ancient history for all practical purposes:

Carter 1976, Obama 2008/2012   

Carter 1976, Obama twice  red
Carter 1976, Obama once pink
Carter 1976, Obama never yellow
Ford 1976, Obama twice white
Ford 1976, Obama once light blue
Ford 1976, Obama never blue

....As you can see, Carter lost a raft of states (among them California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, and Maine) that Democratic nominees for President have not lost after 1988, and some states (Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire, and New Mexico) that Democrats have not LOST in Presidential wins. On the other side, Carter was the last Democrat to win Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, or Texas.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 01:30:36 AM »

I'm not saying JFK would be a Republican today, or that Eisenhower would be a Democrat today. I think that with how different the issues are, and the overall political environment (issues, status quo, voter mindset, etc.), that would be a hard thing to figure out.

My point is that a JFK voter might not be for Obama or Hillary, and an Eisenhower voter might not be for McCain or Romney. The facts (thanks, pbrower2a!) seem to support that. It's not revisionism, it's basic political history.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 12:19:44 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2015, 04:57:50 PM by pbrower2a »

I'm not saying JFK would be a Republican today, or that Eisenhower would be a Democrat today. I think that with how different the issues are, and the overall political environment (issues, status quo, voter mindset, etc.), that would be a hard thing to figure out.

Eisenhower picked off big chunks of the New Deal coalition, perhaps to no small extent  by avoiding making the same mistakes as Republican nominees for President from Landon to Dewey.

The South was firmly New Deal in its orientation. Even the two racist secessions from the Democratic Party who won some electoral votes (Thurmond in 1948 and Wallace in 1968) never rejected the relatively-liberal economics of the Democratic Party. But in 1952 and 1956 not even the large and powerful unions were able to stop the Eisenhower juggernaut.

Carter barely won with the surviving elements of the New Deal coalition, at least in the South, in 1976. But take away the states in yellow, Florida, and North Carolina in 1976, and Ford wins much like George H W Bush did in 1992. Carter lost even more than that in 1980 for reasons other than the weakening of the New Deal Coalition.

One would need to be very old (at least 85 in 2008) to have voted for both FDR and Obama.
FDR and Clinton? "Only" 69 in 1992. FDR and Carter? 51.    

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Presidential politics are basically coalition politics. Both sides try to pick off parts of each others' coalitions of victory; and sometimes those pick-offs are effectively permanent.
[/quote]
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies