LBJ vs. Coolidge today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:05:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  LBJ vs. Coolidge today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LBJ vs. Coolidge today  (Read 1401 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2015, 03:23:21 AM »

LBJ and Silent Call come from death and run against each other in 2016 contest.

Coolidge campaigns on a small-government and laissez-faire platform, while LBJ camapaigns for an expansion of his Great Society. Coolidge wants back to isolationism, while LBJ states, that America must retain its position as the world's global power.

Discuss with maps. You pick the VPs.
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:16:26 AM »

I'd vote for Coolidge, but in the current political climate, Johnson would probably win. He'd lose his home state of Texas, though, and Coolidge would lose Massachusetts.

Former President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) / Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (D-NY): 52%; 347 Electoral Votes
Former President Calvin Coolidge (R-MA) / Senator Rand Paul (R-KY): 46%; 191 Electoral Votes
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2015, 01:22:56 PM by Clash »

Former President Lyndon Johnson/Secretary of State John Kerry - 299
Former President Calvin Coolidge/Governor Scott Walker - 239
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »

Lyndon Johnson/Cory Booker: 291 (50.0%)
Calvin Coolidge/Rand Paul: 247 (48.9%)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:18 PM »

Lyndon Johnson/Cory Booker: 291 (50.0%)
Calvin Coolidge/Rand Paul: 247 (48.9%)

That's probably right, although I might give Coolidge NV and ME-02 if it's that close in the PV.  I'm also really unsure about Florida as Coolidge would likely struggle with both Hispanic and Jewish voters.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 10:08:53 PM »

I'm imagining that both adjust fairly effectively to our modern issues.  I imagine Coolidge would be supportive of gay marriage and relatively pro-choice, often called a "RINO" by the Tea Party ... and LBJ would be a lot like Robert Byrd circa 2010 (yes, he's probably personally racist and has some handy old Southern expressions, but everyone knows he's as liberal as the day is long).  With that in mind:

In 10 years or so, if we're in a less polarized, more ticket-splitting type era, I could see a map like this, TBH:

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 10:18:15 PM »

RINO Tom, I'd assume Coolidge would resemble many modern less-vocal conservatives. After all, he presided over prohibition and was referred to by Hoover as being a proud conservative in any manner. He probably wouldn't be electable in Massachusetts in today's climate. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 11:05:46 PM »

RINO Tom, I'd assume Coolidge would resemble many modern less-vocal conservatives. After all, he presided over prohibition and was referred to by Hoover as being a proud conservative in any manner. He probably wouldn't be electable in Massachusetts in today's climate. 

That's true, but I thought I'd heard that he was personally one of the less supportive Republicans of prohibition.  And I'm definitely not suggesting Coolidge wasn't conservative, it's just that saying you were a "conservative" in the 1920s didn't suggest that you opposed civil rights (if anything, it suggested that you supported them), and that is how I personally view the gay marriage debate at this point.  I'm inclined to believe a 2015 Calvin Coolidge supports marriage equality, but there's no way of knowing.  I certainly agree that he couldn't win in today's Massachusetts, which is why I imagined that a 2015 Calvin Coolidge who's running for President as the former Governor of Massachusetts probably had to do something to get elected there (most likely move left on social issues).
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:19:52 PM »

I think that a 2015 LBJ would be supportive of gay rights also despite personally still being somewhat homophobic much like 1960s LBJ supported civil rights despite personally being a bit of a racist.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 01:03:32 AM »

Coolidge would take a Federalist view on marriage and defend the rights of the states to decide. However in his state I think he'd be opposed due to his deep and profound Christian faith.

" We do not need more national development, we need more spiritual development. We do not need more intellectual power, we need more spiritual power. We do not need more knowledge, we need more character. We do not need more law, we need more religion. We do not need more of the things that are seen, we need more of the things that are unseen."

"Men do not make laws. They do but discover them. Laws must be justified by something more than the will of the majority. They must rest on the eternal foundation of righteousness."

"Unless the desire for peace be cherished [in the heart of humanity], unless this fundamental and only natural source of brotherly love be cultivated to its highest degree, all artificial efforts will be in vain. Peace will come when there is realization that only under a reign of law, based on righteousness and supported by the religious conviction of the brotherhood of man, can there be any hope of a complete and satisfying life. [...] America seeks no earthly empire built on blood and force. No ambition, no temptation, lures her to thought of foreign dominions. The legions which she sends forth are armed, not with the sword, but with the cross. The higher state to which she seeks the allegiance of all mankind is not of human, but of divine origin. She cherishes no purpose save to merit the favor of Almighty God."

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 05:54:19 PM »

If Coolidge would retain his mind set and personality, then LBJ would win in a landslide.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies