Radical Changes Elections Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:57:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Radical Changes Elections Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Poll
Question: Is this timeline an FF or an HP?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Radical Changes Elections Timeline  (Read 30134 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2016, 10:57:01 AM »

Thoughts?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2016, 10:58:57 AM »

Is this the same thing Gore held the meeting about/got whispered to about?

Great TL
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »

Yes, I don't think Gore is very happy right now given the situation Tongue
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »

Welp, that was anti-climatic
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2016, 07:11:29 PM »

Welp, that was anti-climatic

I would call it more of a "chain of events," of which this is simply the first step Wink
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2016, 10:56:51 AM »

NBC Special Report - The 2004 Presidential Election

June 25, 2003

The 2004 presidential election is shaping up to be perhaps one of the most exciting in our nation's history as two embattled party establishments prepare to fend off opposing outside wings - and, eventually, each other - in order to take the helm of a nation that has been torn apart by terrorism and war over the course of the past two years.

On the Republican side, the field has now officially increased in size to ten candidates as former Education Secretary Lamar Alexander of Tennessee announced his bid for the presidency in a rally shortly outside Nashville on Tuesday morning. Stressing a need for party unity, Alexander called on the whole of the Republican Party to "realize and accept the differences that divide us in order to come up with comprehensive, objective solutions that we can all agree upon." Shortly after his announcement, the Republican National Committee announced a tentative debate schedule for the upcoming primary season, with the first debate to be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on July 19 and hosted by NBC.

July 19, 2003 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - NBC News
August 23, 2003 in Boston, Massachusetts - CBS News
September 13, 2003 in Dayton, Ohio - ABC News
October 4, 2003 in Corpus Christi, Texas - Fox Business
November 22, 2003 in Denver, Colorado - CNN
December 13, 2003 in Las Vegas, Nevada - Fox News
January 17, 2004 in Des Moines, Iowa - CBS News
January 24, 2004 in Manchester, New Hampshire - CNN
February 1, 2004 in St. Louis, Missouri - NBC News
March 1, 2004 in San Francisco, California - ABC News

Many have speculated that the first debate will feature something of a "showdown" between opposing establishment and Conservative Traditionalist Caucus wings of the party, with half of the declared field of ten candidates having so far pledged support to the CTC and the other half having refused to do so.

Meanwhile, the Democrats are faring no better, with chaos having erupted throughout the party following the announcement earlier this month that seventeen Democratic members of the United States Senate and twenty-five of their fellow Representatives would join a caucus formed specifically to oppose President Gore's position on the Iraq War. Already, two members of the caucus in the Senate - Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii and Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin - have announced that they would begin the process of leaving the Democratic Party once and for all, with Feingold declaring Gore's support of the Iraq War to be "an unconscionable and unforgivable violation of everything our party once pledged to stand for." According to inside sources, the President and Democratic Senate leadership are "absolutely furious" with Inouye and Feingold's decisions to leave the party, with Majority Leader Tom Daschle apparently refusing to comply with a request by the two Senators to maintain their committee positions after the completion of the transition process. While PPC founder Barbara Boxer was unavailable for comment when asked if she would join Inouye and Feingold in leaving the party, it is widely speculated that she and a number of others in the Progressive People's Caucus will do so if their demands are not met.

Despite the chaotic environment, the Democratic National Committee today also released a tentative schedule of primary debates over the course of the upcoming months, with eight debates to be held between this August and the Iowa caucus next January.

August 12, 2003 in Portland, Oregon - CNN
September 16, 2003 in Houston, Texas - NBC News
October 28, 2003 in Springfield, Illinois - CBS News
November 11, 2003 in Charlotte, North Carolina - ABC News
December 9, 2003 in Miami, Florida - CNN
January 13, 2004 in Davenport, Iowa - NBC News
January 22, 2004 in Nashua, New Hampshire - ABC News
January 29, 2004 in Charleston, South Carolina - CBS News

The Hart and Bayh campaigns were quick to criticize the DNC, alleging that the perceived low number of debates was intentionally decided on in order to assist Gore's chance of reelection. In a press release issued by his campaign, Hart insisted that "the scarcity of forums for discussion in this election are just another symptom of an establishment unwilling to give proper recognition to outside viewpoints," with Bayh stating during an interview that "we definitely need more debates this cycle in order to get across the message that the President isn't the only one defining the path our party takes."

NBC/Wall Street Journal - Presidential Approval (June 25)

Approve - 36% (+/-0)
Disapprove - 51% (-1)
Undecided - 13% (+1)

NBC/Wall Street Journal - Political Alignment Among Republicans (June 25)

Mainstream Republican Party - 43% (+/-0)
Conservative Traditional Caucus - 42% (-2)
Undecided - 15% (+2)

NBC/Wall Street Journal - Political Alignment Among Democrats (June 25)

Mainstream Democratic Party - 52%
Progressive People's Caucus - 24%
Undecided - 24%

NBC/Wall Street Journal - National Republican Primary Poll (June 25)

Larry Craig - 28% (+1)
Dick Cheney - 27% (+1)
Richard Lugar - 11% (+2)
John Hoeven - 6% (-1)
Dirk Kempthorne - 5% (-2)
Lamar Alexander - 3% (+1)
Frank Murkowski - 3% (-1)
Conrad Burns - 2% (-2)
Alan Keyes - 1% (+/-0)
Jim Bunning - 1% (-1)
Undecided - 13% (+2)

NBC/Wall Street Journal - National Democratic Primary Poll (June 25)

Al Gore - 43% (-6)
Gary Hart - 29% (+3)
Evan Bayh - 12% (+3)
Undecided - 6% (+/-0)

NBC/Wall Street Journal - General Election Match-Ups (June 25)

Dick Cheney - 46% (-2)
Al Gore - 41% (-2)
Undecided - 13% (+4)

Larry Craig - 45% (-2)
Al Gore - 45% (+/-0)
Undecided - 10% (+2)

Gary Hart - 46% (+2)
Dick Cheney - 45% (-3)
Undecided - 9% (+1)

Gary Hart - 49% (+3)
Larry Craig - 42% (-3)
Undecided - 9% (+/-0)

Evan Bayh - 48% (+2)
Dick Cheney - 44% (-2)
Undecided - 8% (+/-0)

Evan Bayh - 50% (+3)
Larry Craig - 41% (-2)
Undecided - 9% (-1)

Please feel free to comment! Thanks for reading! Cheesy
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »

ATTACK ON TIKRIT AIR BASE KILLS 253;
CRAIG DITCHES GOP

July 4, 2003

Americans woke up to shock and terror this morning as news spread of a horrific terrorist attack on the Tikrit Air Academy in central Iraq, where two suicide bombers with reported connections to al-Qaeda allegedly killed 253 people, including 171 American military personnel and 82 members of the Iraqi Armed Forces.

The attack took place at approximately 12:30 PM Iraqi time - equivalent to 5:30 AM Eastern Standard Time - during a lunch held between Iraqi and American soldiers assigned to participate in the same mission later this month. According to a statement released by the Department of Defense, al-Qaeda had planned for the bombing to happen on the Fourth of July, with papers found in the vehicle used by the bombers revealing that the attack was designed to prevent coalition forces from making key gains in nearby areas used by al-Qaeda for strategic planning.

Among the victims were one hundred and nineteen active duty American military personnel and fifty-two other Americans, along with eighty-two Iraqis, most of whom had some involvement in the coalition-led Iraqi Armed Forces. The bombing was the single deadliest attack on Americans since September 11, 2001, with many in the media and elsewhere labeling the event as "the second 9/11."

Reactions to the terrorist attack were swift and emotional, with President Gore calling the bombing a "travesty of unimaginable consequence" and praising all of those at the Tikrit Air Academy for their "unwavering courage and commitment even in times of great emotional anguish." Gore's remarks were echoed by Defense Secretary Wesley Clark, who called upon all Americans to "mourn with their brothers and sisters abroad on this day of agony," along with House Speaker Dennis Hastert, who declared that "we will have hope when our enemies try to use fear; we will unite when our enemies try to divide us."

However, not all responses to the attack were as stately as that delivered by the President. In a press conference held outside his Washington office shortly after President Gore delivered an address of his own, Senator Larry Craig of Idaho, founder of the increasingly controversial Conservative Traditionalist Caucus, delivered the following statement:

"Earlier today, I had a conversation with Minority Leader Lott in his office right around the corner. We had a nice chat about our families, and we had a nice chat about the weather.

"We had a nice chat about sports teams and about the fishing trip that he was planning to take later this week. And about thirty minutes in, I looked at my watch and I thought to myself, 'Is this guy ever going to bring the attacks up?' It appeared he had no intention to, so I decided to bring them up myself. So I said to the Minority Leader, 'On a more serious note, what are your thoughts on the tragic terrorist attacks that occurred earlier this morning?'

"I expected Senator Lott to begin to go into detail about how we can best prevent similar attacks from happening in the future, about how we can work with the military to create a strategic plan for keeping all of our sons and daughters fighting abroad away from danger. But no, the Senator's response was nothing along those lines. Instead of opting for a comprehensive discussion regarding our nation's involvement in Iraq - instead of providing the slightest shred of decency on the subject - Senator Lott simply said, 'Well, at least it will screw Gore over.'

"How can I still identify as part of a party that puts mere politics over the lives of our nation's brothers and sisters serving abroad? How can I associate myself with a group of self-centered, egotistical politicians whose first thought after the deadliest terrorist attack since 9/11 is to determine the overt political ramifications it will have?

"The problem between the establishment of the Republican Party and the section of the Republican Party that I have chosen to lead is much deeper than the media chooses to report. The last weeks - the last months - have seen the personal relationship I and my colleagues have with our party's establishment strain immensely, strain to an extent that I am afraid is no longer something that can still be fixed.

"And so it is now that I announce with a heavy heart that I can no longer associate myself with the Republican Party. I can no longer associate myself with a party that puts its politics over its policy, that puts its victory over its values. Today, I announce that I - along with the eleven other senators who joined the first iteration of the Conservative Traditionalist Caucus in May and the ten other senators who have joined it in the mean time - am going to leave the GOP.

"Splitting from the party that first introduced me into politics will be no easy task. Already, staffers from my Senate office are having talks with our colleagues at the Republican National Committee in order to ensure that a political system with more than two parties will not result in an inadvertent split of the conservative vote and seizure of power by the Democratic Party. Over the course of the upcoming months and years, I plan on working with my colleagues in the Senate on both sides of the aisle to ensure that amicable relations are rightfully maintained.

"Right now, I speak to those in the Conservative Traditionalist Caucus who have joined our movement over the last few weeks and months. First, I would like to thank all of you for your unwavering loyalty and support. Without each and every one of you behind our cause, our cause would be nothing more than another short-lived political spectacle. Because of your support, our movement can live on, and it is for that I am eternally grateful. But we must remain respectful of opposing ideologies if we want our movement to succeed. We must understand the needs and desires of all Americans, and we must work together to ensure that no citizen of our great nation is left behind. With your support, we can move forward, and we can turn this caucus into a party. Thank you, and goodbye."

And with that, the two-party system was over. A new era had truly begun.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »

Welp. Who are all 21 members of the new Conservative party?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »

NBC Sits Down with Larry Craig

Matt Lauer interviews Senator Larry Craig in his Idaho home to discuss recent developments on Capitol Hill.

Matt Lauer: Good evening, Senator Craig. How are you today?

Larry Craig: I'm doing well. And you?

Lauer: Great. So, as we both know, you have been the biggest news in national politics - international politics, I'd say - in recent days. You and twenty-one other Senators have announced your formation of a new Conservative Traditionalist Party to oppose the current two-party system and try to get a conservative, anti-Iraq War message to the American people. How are you handling all of the new attention?

Craig: Well, Matt, it's definitely something new. I've always been the type of Senator who tries to get his voice heard, but I never expected anything like this to happen.

Lauer: Did you expect this many other members of the Senate to follow you in joining the CTP?

Craig: Certainly not. At first, it was just the twelve of us, but I think that the last few months have definitely shown a lot of other members of the Senate GOP that the Republican establishment really doesn't care about the individual interests of us or our constituents.

Lauer: Of course. Many of us were simply shocked, for lack of a better word, that so many members of the Republican Party in Congress were willing to leave their party as fast as they did.

Craig: Well, I think what most people don't understand is that a lot of the internal strife between my caucus and the GOP establishment happened behind closed doors. In the public eye, it probably was a surprise that so many of us were willing to split so soon, but I can assure you, it was no spur of the moment decision. In fact, even some Democrats - Senator Zell Miller of Georgia, for example - have opted to join our cause for many of the same reasons.

Lauer: And, if I understand correctly, you also have thirty-seven members of the United States House of Representatives on board as well?

Craig: Correct. I believe the current count is thirty-seven in the House so far, or thirty-nine if you count some of the guys we're still having talks with. But this really isn't a movement just taking place in the United States Senate - you can already see that members of both chambers of Congress, and even two Governors so far, have come out in support of what the American people are saying and have been saying for a very long time.

Lauer: One question I'm sure we've all been asking in recent days - will the Conservative Traditionalist Party nominate its own candidate in the 2004 presidential election?

Craig: I don't know yet, Matt, I don't know. Right now, we've been having some pretty good talks with the RNC, and I believe that we're going to try to form some sort of coalition in presidential and congressional elections in order to make sure that the conservative vote remains united. I think the primary election process will be a very good way to see which candidate conservatives want to see go up against the Democrats in November, but it's definitely too early to make any decisions right now.

Lauer: So, you and the four other presidential candidates aligning with the CTP will still participate on the July 19 debate one week from now?

Craig: Yes. At this time, I believe that's the plan.

Lauer: But your party doesn't plan on nominating a candidate of its own?

Craig: Right now, we really want to focus on making sure the conservative vote isn't accidentally split. That would inadvertently help the Democrats retain control, and we don't want that to happen.

Lauer: But you can't give me a straight answer right now.

Craig: It's too early at this point. We're still working out the details.

Lauer: Alright. Well, I'd like to thank you for participating in this interview, Senator Craig, and do take care. This election season will certainly be one for the history books.

Craig: Absolutely, Matt. You too.

Original Senate Members of the Conservative Traditional Caucus (Joined May 9) - Senator Craig (C-ID), Senator Brownback (C-KS), Senator Nickles (C-OK), Senator Gramm (C-TX), Senator Thomas (C-WY), Senator Sessions (C-AL), Senator Terrell (C-LA), Senator Burns (C-MT), Senator Inhofe (C-OK), Senator Frist (C-TN), Senator Santorum (C-PA), Senator Allen (C-VA)

Original Senate Members of the Conservative Traditional Party (Joined July 4) - Senator Hutchinson (C-AR), Senator Grassley (C-IA), Senator Bond (C-MO), Senator Bunning (C-KY), Senator Dole (C-NC), Senator Graham (C-SC), Senator Thune (C-SD), Senator Hutchinson (C-TX), Senator Enzi (C-WY), Senator Miller (C-GA)

Pew Research Center - Presidential Approval (July 12)

Approve - 34% (-2)
Disapprove - 54% (+3)
Undecided - 12% (-1)

Pew Research Center - Political Alignment Among Republicans (July 12)

Conservative Traditional Caucus - 49% (+7)
Mainstream Republican Party - 33% (-10)
Undecided - 18% (+3)

Pew Research Center - Political Alignment Among Democrats (July 12)

Mainstream Democratic Party - 45% (-7)
Progressive People's Caucus - 30% (+6)
Undecided - 25% (+1)

Pew Research Center - National Republican Primary Poll (July 12)

Larry Craig - 36% (+8)
Dick Cheney - 24% (-3)
Richard Lugar - 9% (-2)
John Hoeven - 5% (-1)
Dirk Kempthorne - 4% (-1)
Lamar Alexander - 3% (+/-0)
Frank Murkowski - 2% (-1)
Conrad Burns - 1% (-1)
Alan Keyes - 1% (+/-0)
Jim Bunning - 0% (-1)
Undecided - 15% (+2)

Pew Research Center - National Democratic Primary Poll (July 12)

Al Gore - 41% (-2)
Gary Hart - 32% (+3)
Evan Bayh - 23% (+1)
Undecided - 4% (-2)

Pew Research Center - General Election Match-Ups (July 12)

Al Gore - 44% (+3)
Dick Cheney - 44% (-2)
Undecided - 12% (-1)

Larry Craig - 47% (+2)
Al Gore - 43% (-2)
Undecided - 10% (+/-0)

Gary Hart - 46% (+/-0)
Dick Cheney - 44% (-1)
Undecided - 10% (+1)

Gary Hart - 48% (-1)
Larry Craig - 45% (+3)
Undecided - 7% (-2)

Evan Bayh - 47% (-1)
Dick Cheney - 44% (+/-0)
Undecided - 9% (+1)

Evan Bayh - 47% (-3)
Larry Craig - 45% (+4)
Undecided - 8% (-1)

Al Gore - 39
Larry Craig - 26
Dick Cheney - 21
Undecided - 14

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »

The First Republican Debate

July 19, 2003 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - NBC News

Brian Williams: We here at NBC News would like to welcome all of our viewers at home and abroad to the first Republican primary debate of the 2004 presidential election; my name is Brian Williams and right now we're about to begin here at our debate hall in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Let's give a big round of applause to our candidates as they approach their podiums, which have been organized based off of each candidate's standing in a compilation of the most recent national polls recognized by our network:

Murkowski Alexander Hoeven Lugar Cheney Craig Kempthorne Burns Keyes Bunning

The first question goes to Senator Larry Craig of Idaho. Senator Craig, the past few days have seen you become the subject of immense media and political scrutiny as you - along with four of the other candidates on this stage - announced your decision to leave the Republican Party and form your own party based off of the Conservative Traditionalist Caucus you founded in the Senate two months ago. How can you continue to use the resources of the Republican Party and participate in the their presidential debates even after you have declared your intention to disassociate with them? You have one minute and thirty seconds to respond.

Larry Craig: Well look, Brian. I left the Republican Party because I believe that the party's establishment no longer gives an equal voice to the genuine, true conservative values that I was elected by the people of Idaho to represent. This was no easy process - I had some very good discussions with top leaders of the GOP and members of the Republican National Committee, and we decided that the best way to prevent the Democrats from getting another four years in the White House is to join forces and create a united presidential campaign. I and the four other candidates on this stage who align with the CTP would not be on this stage tonight without permission from the RNC, and for that I am extremely grateful.

Dick Cheney: May I respond?

Williams: Senator Cheney may give a one minute response to Senator Craig's answer.

Cheney: When I registered as a member of the Republican Party forty-four years ago, I knew that no one political institution could perfectly represent all of the American people in every way they so choose. But I also knew that the Republican Party was the best medium of political action for the American people to use to get each and every one of their voices heard. I am loyal to the Republican Party, and I would never, ever think of abandoning the party of Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Ronald Reagan. I'm not the kind of guy who loses faith when everything doesn't work out perfectly, and I'm not the kind of guy who quits as soon as something doesn't go my way. But as far as I can tell, Senator Craig is. And so I ask - I ask the people in this hall and I ask all Americans watching this debate tonight - why would you support a man who has betrayed his party for political gain? Why would you support a man who has put his own interest over that of the party and the people who were responsible for electing him to office in the first place?

Williams: Senator Craig, you may give a thirty second response.

Craig: You know what, Dick? I'll answer that question for you. You ask, why are the American people supporting me? They're supporting me because they know I put my values over my politics, and they're supporting me because I chose to go in my own direction to fight for the American people rather than work to please the Washington establishment for their money and support. And don't you dare attack the people who elected me to office, the people of Idaho, for the choice they've made. More people are giving me their support in the polls than any other candidate, and I'll tell you, I represent the people of Idaho a lot damn better than the Republican establishment ever could.

Williams: Alright, alright. Senator Lugar, the next question is for you. What are your thoughts on the recent terrorist attack that took place at the Tikrit Air Academy two weeks ago, and how would you as President take steps to ensure that no future attacks of this magnitude occur?

Richard Lugar: Well, that's a great question, Brian, and I'd first of all I'd like to thank NBC News and the Republican National Committee for hosting this great debate this evening. The terrorist attack that occurred in Tikrit on July 4 was the largest single loss of American life since the September 11 attacks two years ago, and my sincerest condolences go out to all of those who lost family, friends, and loved ones as a result of the assault. As President, I would work with the Joint Chiefs of Staff to formulate a comprehensive, effective plan that not only eradicates al-Qaeda and the Hussein Administration from the face of this earth, but also ensures that a strong, democratic government can be put in place in the region once the war is over. Right now, I don't think the Gore Administration is going far enough to...

Conrad Burns: See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. The Republican establishment is so busy drooling about increased involvement in Iraq that they can't even focus on -

Williams: Senator Burns, it is not your turn to speak right now. Please allow Senator Lugar to finish.

Burns: Oh, come on. How can we ignore...

Williams: Senator Burns, it is not your turn to speak. Allow Senator Lugar to finish his answer or you will not be allowed to speak for the rest of the debate.

Burns: Fine.

Lugar: Umm... thank you. As I was saying earlier, I don't think the Gore Administration has done enough at this juncture to make sure that each of America's military bases around the world are adequately prepared to resist attempted attacks or infiltration from terrorist organizations, as was evident in the bombings that occurred in Tikrit on July 4. As President, I will do everything in my power to assure that our brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters serving abroad never again have to face the abhorrence of a terrorist attack, and to make sure that all Americans currently serving in our nation's military are brought home safely and as soon as possible.

Fox News Post-Debate Poll: Political Alignment Among Republicans (July 19)

Conservative Traditional Caucus - 56% (+7)
Mainstream Republican Party - 31% (-2)
Undecided - 13% (-5)

Fox News Post-Debate Poll: National Republican Primary Poll (July 19)

Larry Craig - 40% (+4)
Dick Cheney - 21% (-3)
Richard Lugar - 14% (+5)
Dirk Kempthorne - 6% (+2)
John Hoeven - 5% (+/-0)
Lamar Alexander - 3% (+/-0)
Conrad Burns - 1% (+/-0)
Frank Murkowski - 1% (-1)
Jim Bunning - 0% (+/-0)
Alan Keyes - 0% (-1)
Undecided - 9% (-6)

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2016, 04:24:53 PM »

The First Democratic Debate

August 12, 2003 in Portland, Oregon - CNN

Wolf Blitzer: Good evening, I'm Wolf Blitzer, and right now we here at CNN would like to welcome all of our viewers to the first Democratic primary debate of the 2004 presidential election here at Portland State University in Oregon. Right now, the three candidates - President Al Gore of Tennessee, former Senator Gary Hart of Colorado, and Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana - have each taken the stage, with their podiums ordered using an aggregation of recent national polls. The first question goes to our center-stage candidate, none other than President Gore himself. President Gore, how do you believe your Administration's policies regarding the Iraq War are currently aiding what many are describing as an increasingly critical situation in the region? If you could go back in time and change one decision you've made so far regarding our military's actions in Iraq, what would it be?

Al Gore: Well first of all, Wolf, let me be absolutely clear that our sons and daughters serving abroad have been making incredible progress in recent weeks. Ever since American forces successfully took control of Baghdad back in May, our Administration has been working as hard as possible to ensure that a permanent stable government is put in place in the region, and I believe that our actions are certainly working. Already, the provisional Iraqi government has declared that municipal elections will be taking place throughout the nation over the course of the next two years, and with the help of coalition forces, Iraq will soon be able to transition to a fair and free democratic system of government for the first time in decades. Every week throughout my first term, I've been able to  talk with our soldiers and military commanders currently on the ground in the area, and by all accounts it seems like Iraq is on its way to a much brighter future.

Blitzer: What is your response to the second part of the question?

Gore: Of course. The terrorist attack that took place in Tikrit last month was absolutely devastating, and if I could I would do anything - anything - humanly possible to go back and assure that those one hundred and seventy-one brave American soldiers did not die in vain. Over the course of the next year and a half, I will be working closely with our nation's top military advisers to assure that the right security is put in place in order for every single man and woman currently serving abroad to know once more that they are safe from forces of evil.

Blitzer: Senator Bayh, do you have a response to President Gore's answer?

Evan Bayh: Absolutely, Wolf. Let's be clear - the recent terrorist attack that took two hundred and fifty-three innocent lives at the Tikrit Air Academy would not have happened had this Administration taken the proper steps to make sure that each and every American military installation in the region had the proper security measures necessary to prevent this kind of assault. I've said it once and I'll say it again; America needs to stop treating the War in Iraq like it's just another war, like it's just another part of our foreign policy that only requires some of our attention. The rise of terrorism is the most pressing national security issue our nation has ever faced, and, if elected President, I will make it my absolute top priority to ensure that no more of our nation's sons and daughters at home or abroad are put in harm's way. This Administration has failed the American people by refusing to devote enough attention to national security, and if the people of our great nation allow me to serve as our next Commander-in-Chief, I will make sure that the American people will never again have to endure such atrocities as we have increasingly scene every since September 11, 2001.

Blitzer: Senator Hart, the next question is for you. As we all know, the Democratic Party has throughout the past few weeks seen a number of defections, with members of both chambers of the United States Congress citing what they believe is a failed Iraq War policy on the part of the Gore Administration as a reason to leave their party. Most recently, Senator Barbara Boxer of California and fourteen other members of the United States Senate have announced that they will join Senators Russ Feingold and Daniel Inouye in changing their official party registration from Democratic to Independent. Many of the congresspeople who have left the Democratic Party, including Senator Boxer herself, have already endorsed you in your bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. How can we count on you, Senator Hart, to remain within the Democratic Party when so many of your supporters have opted not to do so?

Gary Hart: Throughout the entire course of my life, I always have been and will always be a loyal member of the Democratic Party. While I respect the decision of Senator Boxer and her colleagues to make the choice that they feel best represents their values, I believe that the best platform for progressives and liberals to get our voices heard is through the Democratic Party, and so no, I have no intention whatsoever to leave anytime soon.

CNN Post-Debate Poll: Political Alignment Among Democrats (August 12)

Mainstream Democratic Party - 40% (-5)
Progressive People's Caucus - 39% (+9)
Undecided - 21% (-4)

CNN Post-Debate Poll: National Democratic Primary Poll (August 12)

Al Gore - 39% (-2)
Evan Bayh - 30% (+7)
Gary Hart - 28% (-4)
Undecided - 3% (-1)

As always, please feel free to comment, and thanks for reading! Grin
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2016, 09:21:56 PM »

Go Lugar/Go Hart! Great job so far!
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »

This is looking better and better. Wonder if Obama will make an appearance.
wjx987
Rookie
« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2016, 12:33:29 PM »

With all due respect, I find it unlikely that that many democrats would challenge an incumbent.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »

Time to get back to this! Cheesy
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2016, 06:16:59 PM »

Ed Gillespie sat down on the couch and kicked off his shoes. He had just finished another long day of work as chairman of the Republican National Committee, and now it was time for some rest. He picked up the day's copy of the Fairfax County Times and began some light work on the crossword puzzle inside.

No sooner had he finished the first three clues than his wife came walking up to him. "Ed, you've got a guest."

Gillespie turned around. In the doorway was none other than former House Speaker Newt Gingrich himself.

"Ed, we've got to talk."

"What about?"

"In private, please."

Gillespie escorted Gingrich to his office room and closed the door. "What's up?"

"You know what's up, Ed. CBS released a poll just this morning that had Cheney down five more points and Craig up another six. You know what that means?"

"Of course I do, Newt. Craig has got the damn momentum and he's going to win the damn primary."

"That's right. And you know what the first thing he does once he wins that primary is going to be?"

"Oh, come on, Newt."

"He's coming right for our throats. He's coming right for the party establishment, and you know it. His whole campaign has been one huge scapegoat of any Republican politician not to the right of Barry f*cking Goldwater, and if he wins this thing in the end, we're absolutely done for."

"And what exactly do you plan to do about it?"

"Well, there's only one thing we can do about it if we want to keep ourselves alive. We have to up the ante on painting him as a traitor, and we have to do it fast."

"You know that won't work, Newt. Internals show that attacking Craig for being a traitor just makes his supporters more passionate - I have no idea how continuing to run the same lines over and over again will ever work to our advantage."

"I say we demand he either pledge permanent allegiance to the Republican Party or we get him the hell out of our debates. That should show where he truly stands."

"You seriously think that's going to work?"

"I don't care if it works. I just don't want to see that slimy piece of sh*t back on another debate stage that I paid for."

"Seems awfully risky to me."

"Oh, come on, Ed. What's the worst he can do?"
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »

Ed Gillespie sat down on the couch and kicked off his shoes. He had just finished another long day of work as chairman of the Republican National Committee, and now it was time for some rest. He picked up the day's copy of the Fairfax County Times and began some light work on the crossword puzzle inside.

No sooner had he finished the first three clues than his wife came walking up to him. "Ed, you've got a guest."

Gillespie turned around. In the doorway was none other than former House Speaker Newt Gingrich himself.

"Ed, we've got to talk."

"What about?"

"In private, please."

Gillespie escorted Gingrich to his office room and closed the door. "What's up?"

"You know what's up, Ed. CBS released a poll just this morning that had Cheney down five more points and Craig up another six. You know what that means?"

"Of course I do, Newt. Craig has got the damn momentum and he's going to win the damn primary."

"That's right. And you know what the first thing he does once he wins that primary is going to be?"

"Oh, come on, Newt."

"He's coming right for our throats. He's coming right for the party establishment, and you know it. His whole campaign has been one huge scapegoat of any Republican politician not to the right of Barry f*cking Goldwater, and if he wins this thing in the end, we're absolutely done for."

"And what exactly do you plan to do about it?"

"Well, there's only one thing we can do about it if we want to keep ourselves alive. We have to up the ante on painting him as a traitor, and we have to do it fast."

"You know that won't work, Newt. Internals show that attacking Craig for being a traitor just makes his supporters more passionate - I have no idea how continuing to run the same lines over and over again will ever work to our advantage."

"I say we demand he either pledge permanent allegiance to the Republican Party or we get him the hell out of our debates. That should show where he truly stands."

"You seriously think that's going to work?"

"I don't care if it works. I just don't want to see that slimy piece of sh*t back on another debate stage that I paid for."

"Seems awfully risky to me."

"Oh, come on, Ed. What's the worst he can do?"

I think I can hear Craig's supporters striking up "The Rains of Castamere"
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »

CTC TO SPLIT FROM GOP;
LAUNCH SEPARATE BID FOR PRESIDENCY

September 1, 2003

A political shockwave of historical proportions swept throughout the nation today as Senator Larry Craig announced that he - along with twenty-one other members of the United States Senate and forty-three members of the United States House of Representatives - would officially leave the Republican Party and jointly form a new political party, to be christened the Conservative Traditionalist Party.

Craig's announcement, made this morning during a press conference on Capitol Hill, is undoubtedly one of the - if not the - most significant political changes in American history, with the United States Congress to see a party system composed of more than two major political groups for the first time since before the Civil War. According to Craig, "the American people are tired of the lousy two-party political discourse that has gotten our nation nowhere over the last few decades," with the senator from Idaho asserting that "the CTP is and will be the only way for courageous American conservatives to get our voices heard in this age of liberal establishment elitism."

Many see Craig's decision as having been timed as a response to Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie's announcement three days ago that Craig and other presidential candidates associated with the Conservative Traditionalist Caucus would not be allowed to participate in future primary debates unless they swore allegiance to the Republican Party. When asked if the CTP is planning to contest the 2004 elections separately from the GOP, Craig confirmed that he and like-minded colleagues from around the nation would be spending the next few months working to establish a private CTP primary system for presidential, congressional, statewide, and local races throughout the fifty states. As of the time of the publication of this article, Craig has also released a list of fifty statewide ballot access directors to ensure that his party will have adequate ballot representation in the elections next November.

When pressed for a response to the recent events, the Republican National Committee was unavailable for comment, though various statewide GOP affiliates have released messages condemning Craig's decision as traitorous and uncalled for. The Democratic National Committee, however, released a statement this morning labeling Craig's announcement a "sure display of disunity on the right" and calling on Democrats across the nation to "stand and unite in order to make sure that progressive values score a major victory next November." When asked for her response to the DNC's remarks, Senator Barbara Boxer - who has gained national attention in recent months for her decision leave the Democratic Party in response to the pro-Iraq War policies of President Al Gore - stated that Democrats are "in no way united in this day and age," asserting that "millions of Americans across the nation are thirsting for real progressive change that is no longer represented by the warmongering and corporate association of the Democratic establishment."

As of this time, it is unknown exactly how remaining Republicans in the United States Senate and House of Representatives will respond to the defection of their colleagues. Due to approximately even amount of defections from the Democratic and Republican parties in recent months, both chambers of Congress are expected to remain within the hands of the party currently controlling them - Democrats in the Senate and Republicans in the House - indicating that congressional committee control will likely remain the same provided that negotiations go as expected. More information regarding the ramifications of the formation of the Conservative Traditionalist Party will be provided at a late time.

As of now, all the American people know for sure is that things will never be the same.

What are everyone's thoughts on recent events? Predictions? Thanks for reading!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2016, 10:47:59 AM »

Happy it's back

Happy Gore will win re-election

Sad the lunatics are now in the mainstream.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2016, 11:39:39 AM »

The far-right and far-left have splintered, now the GOP and the Democrats are Center-right and Center respectively.

RIP 2 party system

1864-2003
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2016, 01:14:34 PM »

State of the Nation - September 2003

Following Senator Larry Craig's historic announcement earlier this month that the Conservative Traditionalist Party would split from the GOP and form a party of its own, Capitol Hill has largely found itself in mass disarray, with failing negotiations and crumbling political institutions becoming the norm of what many have already labeled as the start of the Seventh Party System.

As of mid-September, the composition of the Senate is now almost unrecognizable from where it began at the start of the 108th Congress. The past year alone has seen the death of one incumbent Senator and the resignations of two others, with Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) passing away late last May due to a fatal stroke and Senators Ben Campbell (R-CO) and Peter Fitzgerald (R-IL) jointly announcing their resignation from Congress in early July. Both seen as relative moderates in the Senate GOP Caucus, Campbell and Fitzgerald cited irreparably damaged relations within their own party as their reason to resign. While President of the West Virginia Senate Earl Ray Tomblin (D) has been appointed to fill Byrd's seat, United States Representatives Joel Hefley and Jerry Weller  - both Republicans - have been appointed to fill the open seats in Colorado and Illinois, respectively. The decision of Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich to appoint Jerry Weller to the vacant Illinois seat was particularly controversial, with state Democrats accusing Blagojevich of accepting bribes to fill the vacancy with another Republican instead of a member of his own party. Blagojevich's defense that it would only be appropriate to fill the seat of a vacating Republican with another Republican has been accepted by some, but many remain skeptical of his intentions.

The following is the current partisan composition of the United States Senate:

Democrats (26) - Lincoln, Feinstein, Strickland, Dodd, Biden, Carper, Graham (FL), Cleland, Durbin, Bayh, Breaux, Carnahan, Baucus, Nelson (NE), Reid, Schumer, Clinton, Edwards, Conrad, Specter, Hollings, Daschle, Cantwell, Owen, Tomblin, Rockefeller

Republicans (25) - Shelby, Stevens, Murkowski, McCain, Kyl, Hefley, Weller, Lugar, Roberts, McConnell, Snowe, Collins, Cochran, Lott, Hagel, Ensign, Gregg, Domenici, DeWine, Voinovich, Smith, Thompson, Hatch, Bennett, Warner

Independent Democrats (26) - Inouye, Sarbanes, Markey, Levin, Wellstone, Reed, Boxer, Akaka, Mikulski, Stabenow, Frank, Dayton, Lautenberg, Bingaman, Chafee, Jeffords, Feingold, Corzine, Wyden, Shaheen, Dorgan, Kohl, Leahy, Gejdenson, Nelson (FL), Harkin

Conservative Traditionalists (23) - Craig, Brownback, Nickles, Gramm, Thomas, Sessions, Terrell, Burns, Inhofe, Frist, Santorum, Allen, Hutchinson (AR), Grassley, Bond, Bunning, Dole, Graham (SC), Thune, Hutchinson (TX), Enzi, Miller, Crapo

As of now, the Senate Majority Leader is still Tom Daschle, with a power-sharing agreement between the Democrats and Progressive People's Caucus-affiliated Independent Democrats allowing Democratic leadership to stay in power in return for PPC pluralities on some subcommittees. Meanwhile, the House composition currently stands at 140-130-86-79, with Dennis Hastert maintaining his control as House Speaker and Republicans still in control of most House affairs. Individual controversies have resulted in a much more divided partisan composition, while the House still remains largely dominated by registered Democrats and Republicans. A similar trend can be seen with current state governors, the vast majority of whom have chosen to remain within their original party:

Democrats (21) - Napolitano, Davis, Minner, Barnes, Blagojevich, O'Bannon, Vilsack, Sebelius, Patton, Baldacci, Musgrove, Holden, McGreevey, Richardson, Easley, Kulongoski, Rendell, York, Bredesen, Warner, Wise

Republicans (13) - Murkowski, Owens, Rowland, Bush, Martz, Guinn, Benson, Pataki, Hoeven, Taft, Sanford, Rounds, Leavitt

Independent Democrats (8) - Hirono, Townsend, O'Brien, Granholm, Penny, Racine, Locke, Doyle

Conservative Traditionalists (8) - Riley, Huckabee, Kempthorne, Foster, Johanns, Largent, Perry, Bebout

The chaos that has spread on Capitol Hill in recent days has been mirrored by developments in the presidential race.

Almost immediately after Larry Craig's announcement that the Conservative Traditionalist Caucus would sever all ties with the GOP and form a party of its own, Craig - along with Conrad Burns, Alan Keyes, and Jim Bunning - announced that they would leave the Republican presidential primary and jointly enter the presidential primary of the Conservative Traditionalist Party, which is to be privately-funded and held concurrently with those of the Democrats and Republicans. Dirk Kempthorne, on the other hand, announced that he would not follow his counterparts in venturing into the CTP presidential primary, instead choosing to suspend his campaign and endorse Craig. Meanwhile, Representative Spencer Bachus of Alabama announced that he would enter the race for the CTP presidential nomination despite not having initially participated in the Republican primary, bringing the total number of CTP candidates back to five.

ABC/Washington Post Poll - Conservative Traditionalist Primary (September 16)

Larry Craig - 60%
Conrad Burns - 7%
Alan Keyes - 4%
Jim Bunning - 3%
Spencer Bachus - 1%
Undecided - 25%

The departure of Craig, Burns, Keyes, Bunning, and Kempthorne left the Republican primary race with only five remaining candidates, half the size of their initial field. While Cheney maintained an advantage in national polling, the votes of staunch conservatives who remained loyal to the GOP assisted the remaining candidates who painted themselves as to the right of Cheney, particularly Hoeven.

ABC/Washington Post Poll - Republican Primary (September 16)

Dick Cheney - 26% (+5)
Richard Lugar - 21% (+7)
John Hoeven - 15% (+10)
Lamar Alexander - 8% (+5)
Frank Murkowski - 6% (+4)
Undecided - 24%

Meanwhile, the Democratic primary had seen a much more stable last few weeks, with Evan Bayh's post-debate surge mostly settling in and Gary Hart regaining some lost support due to the increased popularity of his affiliation with the People's Progressive Caucus.

ABC/Washington Post Poll - Democratic Primary (September 16)

Al Gore - 37% (-2)
Evan Bayh - 30% (+/-0)
Gary Hart - 29% (+1)
Undecided - 4% (+1)

General election polls, however, took a wild turn in favor of the Democrats, with the formation of the Conservative Traditionalist Party essentially splitting the right-wing vote into two and allowing Democratic candidates to build up a massive polling advantage.

ABC/Washington Post Poll - General Election Match-Ups (September 16)

Al Gore - 42%
Dick Cheney - 24%
Larry Craig - 23%
Undecided - 11%

Al Gore - 39%
Richard Lugar - 27%
Larry Craig - 22%
Undecided - 12%

Evan Bayh - 45%
Dick Cheney - 21%
Larry Craig - 20%
Undecided - 14%

Evan Bayh - 42%
Richard Lugar - 24%
Larry Craig - 19%
Undecided - 15%

Gary Hart - 38%
Dick Cheney - 26%
Larry Craig - 23%
Undecided - 13%

Gary Hart - 36%
Richard Lugar - 29%
Larry Craig - 22%
Undecided - 13%

Generally speaking, Bayh tended to perform best among the Democratic candidates, striking a multipartisan appeal with voters due to his relatively moderate and conciliatory stances. However, Al Gore was still able to overperform Gary Hart, with the highly progressive views of the latter isolating many moderate and conservative Democrats from his column. Richard Lugar also performed notably better than Dick Cheney in general election match-ups, often overperforming the former Republican Vice Presidential nominee by three or so points. Meanwhile, Larry Craig tended to perform best with Gore, Hart, or Cheney on the ballot, though lost some support when Bayh and Lugar were the respective Democratic and Republican nominees.

Thoughts on the current state of the race? Suggestions? Thanks for reading! :D
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #146 on: September 15, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »

Very good TL!

My views had changed since I last posted here. GORE '04!

Anyways, Larry Craig is a slimy bastard for leaving the party. He already has a caucus, what more can he want?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »

Very good TL!

My views had changed since I last posted here. GORE '04!

Anyways, Larry Craig is a slimy bastard for leaving the party. He already has a caucus, what more can he want?

A lot. Tongue
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2016, 10:47:14 AM »

HART OUTS BOXER FOR INDEPENDENT BID SCHEME

The seemingly unstoppable political chaos that has manifested itself around the 2004 presidential election was perpetuated once more this week, with Democratic presidential candidate Gary Hart announcing in a shocking revelation Tuesday morning that he was approached by Barbara Boxer to launch an independent bid for the presidency.

In a Milwaukee rally on October 14, Hart revealed that he had been privately contacted the previous week by Progressive People's Caucus leader Barbara Boxer, who allegedly asked Hart to consider ditching the Democratic Party in favor of an independent presidential bid. Accusing Boxer of "conspiring against a unified progressive cause in order to create controversy and advance her own interests," Hart took a strong stand against the movement to split from the mainstream Democratic Party, emphasizing that he would "always stand as a true Democrat and a true believer in our nation's future" and pledging to "always let the American people know where my loyalties lie." Hart's speech was received in a largely positive manner by his audience, though it was clear that some loyal PPC supporters were disappointed by his decision to rebuke Boxer's offer.

Though Barbara Boxer herself was unavailable for comment when asked to respond to Hart's allegations, the reaction from other Democratic candidates was swift. While President Gore praised Hart for "standing up against those who want to tear this party down and expressing his loyalty to our cause," Bayh's response was much more confrontational, condemning Hart for "even being approached by the people who would like to see the Democratic Party in ruins." The reaction from those on the right was much less pronounced, though many in the media saying that Republicans and Conservative Traditionalists alike had secretly been hoping for Hart to accept Boxer's offer in order to create a rift in the American left similar to the one recently created in the American right.

Hart's actions saw both praise and condemnation from Democratic primary voters, with different wings of the party viewing the former senator's announcement from wildly differing perspectives. While mainstream Democrats were largely pleased with Hart's decision to stay loyal to the Democratic Party and out those who had attempted to splinter it, many Democrats affiliated with the People's Progressive Caucus saw his actions as borderline traitorous, accusing Hart of taking Boxer's support for granted and ultimately rebuking it. Shifting views on Hart's actions left him with about the same amount of overall support as he had boasted previously, though resulted in his having an almost entirely different base of voters compared to the one he had drawn from earlier in the primary season. Meanwhile, angered PPC loyalists could no longer rely on Hart for the voice he had offered them previously, leading them to explore a number of other options they had deemed suitable...

Pew Research Poll - Democratic Primary (October 21)

Al Gore - 37% (+/-0)
Evan Bayh - 30% (+/-0)
Gary Hart - 30% (+1)
Undecided - 3% (-1)

Pew Research Poll - Republican Primary (October 21)

Dick Cheney - 27% (+1)
Richard Lugar - 20% (-1)
John Hoeven - 17% (+2)
Lamar Alexander - 7% (-1)
Frank Murkowski - 6% (+/-0)
Undecided - 23% (-1)

Pew Research Poll - Conservative Traditionalist Primary (October 21)

Larry Craig - 61% (+1)
Conrad Burns - 8% (+1)
Alan Keyes - 4% (+/-0)
Jim Bunning - 2% (-1)
Spencer Bachus - 1% (+/-0)
Undecided - 24% (-1)

Pew Research Poll - General Election Match-Ups (October 21)

Al Gore - 43% (+1)
Dick Cheney - 24% (+/-0)
Larry Craig - 22% (-1)
Undecided - 11% (+/-0)

Al Gore - 41% (+2)
Richard Lugar - 26% (-1)
Larry Craig - 22% (+/-0)
Undecided - 11% (-1)

Evan Bayh - 43% (-2)
Dick Cheney - 21% (+/-0)
Larry Craig - 20% (+/-0)
Undecided - 16% (+2)

Evan Bayh - 41% (-1)
Richard Lugar - 23% (-1)
Larry Craig - 20% (+1)
Undecided - 16% (+1)

Gary Hart - 40% (+2)
Dick Cheney - 26% (+/-0)
Larry Craig - 23% (+/-0)
Undecided - 11% (-2)

Gary Hart - 39% (+3)
Richard Lugar - 28% (-1)
Larry Craig - 22% (+/-0)
Undecided - 11% (-2)
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »

No hypothetical polls with Hart as 4th party?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies