Standing in the Poolhouse Door: Police Brutality in White Suburbia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Standing in the Poolhouse Door: Police Brutality in White Suburbia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Standing in the Poolhouse Door: Police Brutality in White Suburbia  (Read 5350 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Someone called them because they were disturbing the people in the neighborhood, NOT because they were black!

The woman LOOKS like she was resisting arrest.

Any white person who was disturbing the peace would be equally problematic Why does everything hav to be about race

We would have never heard about it if the people were white. It is obvious if the cop was black and the people were white, nobody would care.

If a black cop threw a white teenage girl onto the ground and pointed a gun in her face, conservatives would be up in arms.

No way. I'm as conservative as you get, and I'd defend the cop and say, "The girl was a piece of sh**t and deserved what she got."

I feel zero sympathy for people who act like garbage, regardless of color.

Agreed. I have no sympathy for the cop.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »

Lmao the cop in that video is such a self-important prat. how many times did he jack off  watching himself do a barrel roll, do you guys think?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2015, 08:21:13 PM »

Unlike Dallas, Houston did not follow the rigid segregation of other Southern cities. Dallas prefers to pack all its black and brown people in South Dallas and increasingly in the suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth. Houston does not do that. We have multimillion dollar houses a few blocks away from mostly non-white apartment complexes; we have white suburbanites living on the same street as Vietnamese immigrants; et cetera. If we see black people at the community pool, our first response certainly isn't to call the police, and if the police did come, HPD/HCSD certainly would not behave the way these cops did. (Probably because our police force actually looks like the city as a whole and isn't just a bunch of trigger-happy bitter white men with inferiority complexes.)

If that's how Houston works, you shouldn't have any trouble understanding east McKinney. Craig Ranch isn't a community pool. It's private property. These kids pulled a Caddy Shack at one of the nicest clubs/courses in North Texas.

The officer's decision to pull his gun was probably not warranted, but alleging racism is full-Gawker. It's filthy rich people reacting to trespass by indignant poor people. It's never going to end well, no matter what races are involved.

Ah, well then its okay.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2015, 08:41:15 PM »

I'm not sure what the problem is.

Someone called them because they were disturbing the people in the neighborhood, NOT because they were black!

The woman LOOKS like she was resisting arrest.

Any white person who was disturbing the peace would be equally problematic Why does everything hav to be about race

We would have never heard about it if the people were white. It is obvious if the cop was black and the people were white, nobody would care.

If a black cop threw a white teenage girl onto the ground and pointed a gun in her face, conservatives would be up in arms.

No way. I'm as conservative as you get, and I'd defend the cop and say, "The girl was a piece of sh**t and deserved what she got."

I feel zero sympathy for people who act like garbage, regardless of color.

Agreed. I have no sympathy for the cop.

I HAD none, but I heard on the news today he'd responded to not 1, but 2 separate suicide calls earlier in that same shift, which he hadn't (obviously) processed emotionally. Don't get me wrong: His conduct was WAY over the line here and he well deserved to lose his job. Sadly, cops are required as part of the job to encounter horrible traumatic situations like that all the time, suck it up internally, then move on to bring peace to the next equally traumatic horrible situation. It means that this guy couldn't hack it and deserved to lose his job, but also means that cops are taken for granted while doing one of the toughest and most dangerous jobs there are. Comparing this sad sack to over 95% of cops is just plain disingenuous.

As former cop Texasgurl put it in another thread, most of the posters here blithely bashing cops from the security of their keyboards would be the first to call 911 when things get real.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »

Comparing this sad sack to over 95% of cops is just plain disingenuous.

Yep. But that won't stop them.  The anti-cop crowd and the anarchist crowd still refuses to accept forensic realities of the Michael Brown case that was confirmed by Holders DOJ.  Did the agitators ever apologize for destroying Ferguson? Nope.  Did the spineless Republican Party speak up for cops? nope .

Everything you say here is right, but the PC crowd is winning - and reality is losing.

I would have believed you, if I were, literally, born yesterday. Or, may be, if I suffered from a severe brain trauma.

Tell me why you think otherwise?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »

No. It's not okay, but it's not about race.

Obvious moral is obvious.

Our segregated summers.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 12:39:59 PM »

As former cop Texasgurl put it in another thread, most of the posters here blithely bashing cops from the security of their keyboards would be the first to call 911 when things get real.

I hate this debate point so much. Of course I'll call the cops if I'm being attacked or robbed or whatever. But that doesn't mean I can no longer criticize police actions, or that it makes a hypocrite when I do.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12:52 PM »

I hate this debate point so much. Of course I'll call the cops if I'm being attacked or robbed or whatever. But that doesn't mean I can no longer criticize police actions, or that it makes a hypocrite when I do.

Of course we can criticize police misconduct. I'm happy to see that criminal cop in SC indicted, and hope the one in Cleveland follows for some felony charges. But my response is directed mostly at the teenage-mentality "cops are pigs" argument that, regrettably, has taken over a literal majority of the Forum.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »

Every word you've typed on the subject has been brimming with un-realized racism. You are as bad a spokesperson for the "color-blind society" argument as CCSF.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 09:25:03 PM »

Every word you've typed on the subject has been brimming with un-realized racism. You are as bad a spokesperson for the "color-blind society" argument as CCSF.

I live in a color blind area. You are a vainglorious poseur.

Four syllable words won't help you get girls. Especially if you are just plain awful. As in, the worst.

Or as someone else put it:

Reaching for a story. We've progressed from deaths, including cold-blooded shootings, to complaints that police exhibit mild racial profiling when responding to a report that racial minorities were trashing a TPC in one of America's most affluent and desirable suburbs. Report was probably given by a westside cake-eater who has never bothered to go to the east side.

I currently live on the eastside of McKinney. The vandalism, drug dealing, and general loitering around gets old fast. It's extra contentious because the westsiders send their kids to high school on the east side. The eastsiders know the risks of living close to the ghetto, but they like Historic McKinney. The west-side of McKinney, on the other hand, has zero tolerance for east-side bs.

To be clear, the eastside of McKinney is still quite nice and safe, but certain things that happen over here would get skulls cracked on the westside. When 6 Hispanic kids post up under a street light, and scout for drug dealers and disturb locals until 2am, it would never fly on the westside. When Section 8 eastsiders crash church socials and vandalize public spaces in the historic district, it would never fly on the westside.

These kids learned an important lesson about the differing culture between localities. The east side is permissive because it's their home, too. The west side is not amused. If the cop must be suspended for drawing his weapon, so be it, but I don't blame the westside for losing their cool.

Christ, why don't you just say "KNOW YOUR PLACE, BOY"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2015, 03:08:09 PM »

I explained the underlying cultural elements that go into a mishap like this. It was only natural that Atlas would become perplexed beyond recovery and then conspire to kill the messenger.

The only dog I have in this fight is to keep living in a place where people are happy and not racially-divided. I'm not surprised to discover that those objectives are at the bottom of your list and Atlas' list as well.

That claim might hld an ounce of water if your posts on the topic weren't--knowingly or not--incredibly divisive.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2015, 04:25:43 PM »

That claim might hld an ounce of water if your posts on the topic weren't--knowingly or not--incredibly divisive.

Rich people don't have much cultural commonality with lower-income Americans and they don't often get along. Whoa. I just dropped a divisive bombshell on the universe.

I stated the obvious because sometimes people have trouble seeing it when their political vanities get incensed, like race, gender or sexuality.

Furthermore, I also mentioned the frustrating criminal activity on this side of town. If you've read more about the officer, he used to work on the East Side, and he had a history of trying to root out the criminal cancer by trumping up charges against people who weren't the problem.

I'm not sure why, but theft and drug dealing are elusive crimes on this side of town, and it seemed to have driven the ex-State-Trooper mad. That's probably why they moved him to the benign West Side, where he could just patrol the Donut Kitchen.

Your town has a real problem with its police force, if your end of town, which despite your dumping on it, does not seem all that terrible, is driving officers nuts, so that they engage in misconduct under almost no real stress, as in not physically dangerous, situation there next to the private pool on the westside.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies