International Biodiversity Conservation Aid Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:07:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  International Biodiversity Conservation Aid Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: International Biodiversity Conservation Aid Act  (Read 1995 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« on: June 08, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Talleyrand
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »

This bill is pretty self-explanatory. The U.S. has done a great job of protecting endangered species within our own borders, and for the reasons I outlined in a campaign post I made back in January, I think it would be good for global biodiversity if we outlined a program to bring funds to foreign countries for the conservation of their flora and fauna.

Pictured above are a Sumatran rhinoceros and her calf; less than a hundred of these gentle giants exist today, confined to treacherous mountain terrain in the islands of Indonesia and the Malay Peninsula.
Besides their innate majesty and imposing bulk, rhinoceroses serve as keystone mega-herbivores in the all ecosystems to which they are native. In the Malay Peninsula, Sumatran rhinoceros create pathways through the thick forest brush, which may then be utilized by smaller fauna such as tapir and deer. The African rhinoceroses feed exclusively on higher grasses, and thus allow the lower grasses necessary to the integrity of the savannas to grow; in lieu of their presence, the loss of up to half of all ground cover has been observed. The rhinoceros, in both continents, has been a hallmark of ecotourism, and produces billions in economic benefit to indigenous communities, and those tasked with ensuring their survival. These leviathans of land have endured twenty times as long as the human race; we have a duty to preserve them, or face drastic environmental and economic consequences.

In Atlasia we're fortunate to live in an environmentally conscious nation where we've taken many steps to protect the flora and fauna within our borders, while working to stop the spread of invasive species at the same time. On a regional level, we accomplished this during my last term as Governor, and a similar bill on a national scale was passed by Senator Polnut during the opening days of President Lumine's term. We have strict animal welfare laws, and have been proactive in stopping whaling abroad for many years. However, as dozens of species go extinct a day (an unprecedented number in modern human history, and one comparable to the Devonian and Cretaceous mass extinctions), we have a duty to expand what we have already done.

I propose the creation of an agency within the Department of External Affairs to be called the International Biodiversity Aid Agency, which will work in tandem with preexisting foreign aid agencies such as the International Development body. With an annual budget of 5-10 billion dollars, we can provide aid abroad as grants for organizations (governmental and non-governmental) which show a commitment to preserving the biodiversity of their lands. We can also create individual programs via a joint operation with the Peace Corps to create U.S. led programs in various conservation efforts (such as working with amphibians in Panama or elephants in Kenya).

With such an ambitious, well-funded program on a global scale, we might be able to inspire more individuals and nations to partake in the preservation of their native flora and fauna, while protecting biodiversity. With enough time and resources, we may be able to make a serious dent in the disappearance of life across the planet.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »

Certainly! That's a fantastic idea.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:21:17 AM »

The deals would still be done the same way as the DoEA currently does. With the IBCB within that Department, they would definitely be involved in negotiations though or be given clearance by higher-ups to perhaps pursue some diplomacy of their own.

Turkisblau, here's a good link for why promoting biodiversity abroad is good for pretty much everyone in the long-run.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/170/why-is-biodiversity-important-who-cares
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:40:51 AM »

Senators have 24 hours to object to the amendment.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »

The amendment has been adopted.

Does anyone else have any proposals or is it okay if we take this to a final vote?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »

Blair, do you still have an amendment you want to introduce?

As for Yankee's idea, I don't think it should be necessary. I trust the discretion of the DoEA on not making these things too ridiculous.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »

I motion for a final vote. Senators have 24 hours to object.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »

Senators, a vote is open on this bill. It will last 72 hours or until a majority has been reached to pass or kill it.

AYE
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:17:14 AM »

The bill has enough votes to pass. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »

This bill has passed the Senate.

AYE (6) - Blair, Talleyrand, New Canadaland, Polnut, Cris, Turkisblau
NAY (1) - Yankee
Not Voting (1) - Hagrid
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies