Do we have souls?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:26:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do we have souls?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Do we have souls?  (Read 7364 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »

Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »

Humans do not have immortal souls.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »

The proficey of Revelations says that humans dont but until Judgement Day, but since my mom's passing recently, I hope there is an afterlife in one day I will join her. But of course the afterlife isnt like our human life. It is a realm in which dreamers visit, dreams are gateways to that dimension and the dead pernamently stay until reincarnation or resurrection. And one must hold onto when someone loses a close relative.

Teddy Kennedy with his death taught a proper way to die with dignity. If he didnt show this, I will be lost.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2015, 06:43:20 PM »

Why so pessimistic, atheism does teaches that, but from a spiritual point of view, and belief in Christ I do.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2015, 10:05:52 PM »

No, we do not, and it's a ridiculous idea in the first place.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »

Yes, it is our mind and our body working together in conjunction.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 02:06:57 AM »

yes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 10:23:46 AM »

The soup isnt a biological or material realm; it's a spiritual realm, & I think about it when I visit such realm when I sleep, and we will spend eternity.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »

The soup isnt a biological or material realm; it's a spiritual realm, & I think about it when I visit such realm when I sleep, and we will spend eternity.

You don't visit anything when you sleep; it's a product of your self. If you've never been able to see, you have completely different sensory dreams to someone who has been able to see and recall imagery.

Do you happen to remember the eternity before you were born?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »

True Federalist is the expert on this. But, wasnt Moses and Jesus who were great profits never talked about eternity before they were born, they talked about it in the future sense. Really after judgement day.

But purgatory or dimensions where souls go, there is a belief there is one. But, religion is a ritual anyways, there may or may not be. And to overcome obstacles and help heal the living when someone dies.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »

True Federalist is the expert on this. But, wasnt Moses and Jesus who were great profits never talked about eternity before they were born, they talked about it in the future sense. Really after judgement day.

But purgatory or dimensions where souls go, there is a belief there is one. But, religion is a ritual anyways, there may or may not be. And to overcome obstacles and help heal the living when someone dies.

Eternity includes the past.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:10 AM »

Yeah, that Jesus never talked about either before he was born. He was implanted in virgin Mary's tomb.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »

Yeah, that Jesus never talked about either before he was born. He was implanted in virgin Mary's tomb.

?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2015, 04:00:56 PM »

We didnt exist before we were born, but many believe in spititual selves. But, I love to explain what Jesus and book of John said what eternity is like after death and resurrection that one if saved will be in the presence of GOD.

I defer to Bible on what eternity is like before birth. I dont wish that my dead relatives are just dead.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »

I defer to Bible on what eternity is like before birth. I dont wish that my dead relatives are just dead.

Why? Why just that book, just that explanation (other than it being the most pleasing for you). I'm asking you to think just a little; you didn't exist before you were born. You accept that. So I ask you, how did it make you feel?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 05:20:11 PM »

No.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 05:43:17 PM by OC »

OK, but that doesnt prove we dont. SPIRITUALITY is something that is real . And prayers are answered.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 06:01:59 AM »

OK, but that doesnt prove we dont. SPIRITUALITY is something that is real . And prayers are answered.

No. That's confirmation bias. Thinking that your prayers are answered is not evidence for them being answered.

You can be a Christian and pray and feel that your problem gets answered. If that feeling was 'proof' it would mean that god answers your prayers.

You can be a Christian and pray and feel that your problem doesn't get answered. If that feeling was 'proof' it would mean that god doesn't answer your prayers.

You can be a non-Christian and pray to a different god and feel that your problem get's answered. If that feeling was 'proof' it would mean that another god answers your prayers.

You can be a non-Christian and make an offering to nature or your ancestors and feel that your problem gets answered. If that feeling was 'proof' it would mean that nature/ancestors answer prayers and not gods.

You can be a non-Christian and not pray and feel that your problem gets answered. If that feeling was 'proof' it would mean that prayer, offerings, appeals, sacrifices and magic have absolutely no bearing on whether or not your problem gets answered.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »

Nope. Consciousness is a byproduct of evolution and it all ends when you die. Nothing exists beyond. You are a cosmic accident.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6ugTmCYMk&feature=youtu.be&t=2m38s
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2016, 10:15:06 PM »

To those who act as if this is a "believe in fairy tale" or "accept science" type question (those questions rarely exist), I suggest you check out the physics theory of biocentracism (proposed by the highly respected Dr. Robert Lanza, whom the NYT voted the 3rd most important scientist in the world), which proposes that because the Universe appears intelligent/designed (even atheististic scientists admit this; they simply propose the multiverse theory to get around a "Designer" of sorts), intelligence must have predated physical matter and time.  In this scenario, our bodies would actually just be mechanisms that allow us to *use* consciousness (much like a radio picks up an FM signal) and that after we die that consciousness might move into another dimension.  If true, it'd sound eerily like a description of an after life.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2016, 10:57:27 PM by Alex »

Appearance of design doesn't imply designh

also: argument from authority (he is recognized by as a scientist for his work on stem cells), and  his hypothesis is pure pseudoscience/ crappy philosophy
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 01:14:37 AM »

Appearance of design doesn't imply designh

also: argument from authority (he is recognized by as a scientist for his work on stem cells), and  his hypothesis is pure pseudoscience/ crappy philosophy

1) Okay, that is not the same at all.  We can calculate mathematically with hard, solid evidence the odds that life can arise in any given state of conditions.  That is a picture that happens to look like something, and if someone lazily looks at it, they might mistake it for design.  This is years and years worth of studying physics and the cosmos.  There is a reason that EVERY single credible scientists either believes that we live in a multiverse (where it stands to reason that the only universe with intelligent beings [i.e., the one that "won the cosmic lottery," so to speak] would be the one we're in, because we are alive) or some kind of "ordering mechanism" (be that an all-encompassing "truth" outside of space and time, a God or some other intelligence we can't comprehend); clue after clue in our Universe points to the fact that we shouldn't be here.  You can choose to believe that this is just a trick of the heart and believe in an almost astronomically small chance, but I do not personally.

2) It's not like I'm endorsing this guy's theory because he's well-respected, but I find it highly relevant if those with that claim to have the most knowledge on a subject are recognized for their accomplishments by a third party; that seems pretty important to being able to trust what they have to say.  That doesn't make his theory right at all, just as it doesn't make Paul Davies' theoretical physics claims of evidence of a higher being or Lawrence Krauss' insistence on a universe that arose from nothingness the gospel truth.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

I believe so.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »

Yes, of course. If we didn't I wouldn't have sold mine to the devil in exchange for my sick guitar playing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies