Do we have souls? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Do we have souls? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do we have souls?  (Read 7465 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 17, 2015, 01:03:09 PM »

Depends upon what one means. In one sense, it's fairly self-evident that we have souls. However, in the sense that the OP meant, of an immortal soul which is linked to our individual identity and which continues on after the physical body it was associated with passes on, it's not only not self-evident, I don't see that it is a necessary part of Christian doctrine. That's because of mine own views on the nature of the Divine and by extension what an afterlife associated with the Divine is like. The attributes associated with the Divine require that ey be outside linear time rendering concepts such as immortality moot.

(English is not set up to easily discuss the temporal concepts I have in mind. In what follows I'll be using the bare infinitive 'be' to refer to past, present, and future simultaneously.) Even tho our physical lives exist along discrete arcs of spacetime, we be in existence during not only all of spacetime but even. Long after we are dead we will still be, and that is true no matter what beliefs one may hold about the nature of paraphysical existence, even if that belief is that there is no such thing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »

You've totally missed my point, or at a minimum you've mistakenly assumed I posited that only humans have souls. A myriad years from now, presumably long after your physical body died, the you of now, of 2015, will still be even tho no one then will be able to touch you nor you touch them despite the distance of ten thousand years between you and them. You're several thousand miles distant from me in space and we cannot touch each other because our spatial locations are not close. Yet you exist, as do I, despite that.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6ugTmCYMk&feature=youtu.be&t=2m38s
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »

I'll grant that the KJV translates Daniel 8:14 differently than most other translations, but I don't see where as far as the investigative judgment doctrine is concerned that affects it. Both cleansing the temple and making right the temple have the same degree of applicability to it. Plenty of other reasons to be skeptical of the investigative judgment doctrine, but I don't see how that verse has been translated as one of them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies