The June '15 Official Presidential Debate: Commentary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:07:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The June '15 Official Presidential Debate: Commentary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The June '15 Official Presidential Debate: Commentary Thread  (Read 2179 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:24:34 AM »
« edited: June 10, 2015, 08:46:37 PM by Speaker Harry S Truman »

June 2015 Presidential Debate

President Bore vs. Speaker Dkrolga vs. Rep. BaconBacon96

PRESENTED BY

This thread is for discussing the events of the presidential debate being conducted here between President Bore and Speaker Dkrolga. As a reminder, only the candidates and the moderators may post in the debate thread, so please take all your questions, analysis, and other commentary here.

Thanks!

The Staffs of the Mideast Record-Courier and the Political Tracker
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:48:09 PM »

It is a miscarriage of justice that the BaconBacon/Bacon ticket is not represented in this debate
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »

Mr. Harry S Truman

Please explain the reason why Mr. Bacon King is not included in the Presidential debate.

Did he not declare his candidacy in the Candidacy Declaration thread in time or what? 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »

Shameful, utterly Shameful
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:47:59 PM »

Mr. Harry S Truman

Please explain the reason why Mr. Bacon King is not included in the Presidential debate.

Did he not declare his candidacy in the Candidacy Declaration thread in time or what? 

Last I checked, candidates for vice president have never been included in presidential debates.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 02:14:38 PM »

As Chairman of the Labor Party, I have to agree that it is absolutely shameful that the ticket one of our upstanding members, Mr. Bacon King, is running on is not represented at all in this. While I obviously support President Bore's re-election (having founded the Ready for (More) Bore SuperPAC), the people deserve to hear from all the candidates.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 02:19:52 PM »

Mr. Harry S Truman, you are of course correct.  A Vice Presidential candidate obviously does not participate in a Presidential debate.  My mistake.   

But please clarify.

Is Presidential candidate BaconBacon96 included in this Presidential debate?

And if not, why not?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »

I am absolutely outraged at this clear attempt to silence a third voice in the presidential race. This debate has lost all legitimacy.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »

I checked the constitution and the candidate election declaration thread.

From the Constitution Article II, Section 2

Section 2: Election to the Presidency

1.Presidential elections shall be held in the months of February, June and October. Elections shall begin between 0000 Eastern Standard Time on the second Thursday of the election month and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the first Friday thereafter, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning.

So it looks like this election begins Friday June 5, 2015.

Since BaconBacon96 and Bacon King only declared their candidacies on June 6, they would not be official candidates.

They can still, of course, declare themselves as write-in candidates by declaring that they will accept write-in votes.

At least, that is the way I see this situation.

rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 05:07:15 PM »

Unfortunately, my friend, that is not correct.

The current text is: "Presidential elections shall be held in the months of February, June and October. Elections shall begin between 0000 Eastern Standard Time on the Thursday preceding the penultimate Friday of the election month and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the penultimate Friday itself, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning."

As such, I see it starting on Friday the 20th.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:10:46 PM »

I'm fine with BaconBacon joining the debate
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2015, 05:58:00 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Unfortunately, my friend, that is not correct.

The current text is: "Presidential elections shall be held in the months of February, June and October. Elections shall begin between 0000 Eastern Standard Time on the Thursday preceding the penultimate Friday of the election month and 0001 Eastern Standard Time on the penultimate Friday itself, and shall conclude exactly 72 hours after beginning."

As such, I see it starting on Friday the 20th.

I must have been looking at an old version.

But that being the case, with the time frame you have presented, there is absolutely no reason whatever that BaconBacon96 should not be in the Presidential debate.

Whose idea was it to exclude him?  

This is a gross miscarriage of justice.

This is completely unacceptable.

Why did this ever happen in the first place?

There are questions that have to be answered.

Anybody who is a valid candidate should automatically be included in a debate.

We should not have to even be discussing this.

Any debate that excludes any valid candidates cannot under any circumstances be considered to be a legitimate debate.

If a valid candidate chooses not to participate in a debate that is a different matter altogether.

But all valid candidates absolutely must be allowed to participate in a debate.   
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 06:31:11 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=214083.msg4627739#msg4627739

You can ask me questions here, since I have been denied entry into the debate.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »

This is an outrage.

How in the name of equality, justice, fairness, and democracy can a valid candidate for President be excluded from a Presidential debate?

This is unbelievable.

Atlasia likes to pride itself in how free and democratic it is.  This is the very antithesis of democracy.

The editors of the Mideast Record-Courier and the Lumine Political Tracker have shown their extreme bias in not allowing BaconBacon96 into the Presidential debate.

If Bore and DKrol had any sense of decency, fairness or democracy, they would refuse to participate in the debate unless BaconBacon was allowed to participate, and to participate in the debate thread.

Both Bore and DKrol want to lead Atlasia.  Is this how they intend to lead Atlasia, by practicing the politics of exclusion?   

At least DKrol has stated that he has no problem with BaconBacon participating in the Presidential debate.  That is fine as far as it goes, but both he and Bore should go further and demand that BaconBacon be allowed to participate in the debate.

Harry S Truman has refused to address the concerns I have expressed in this matter, and Lumine Von Reuental has not offered his input either.

So I am challenging Harry S Truman and Lumine Von Reuental to engage me in this matter, and explain to me, and explain to the people of Atlasia, why they have excluded BaconBacon from the Presidential debate.

Give us a valid reason why you have excluded BaconBacon from the debate.

This is a new low in Atlasian politics, and a black mark on democracy. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »

INCLUDE ALL THE CANDIDATES
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 09:57:22 PM »

I agree. All declared candidates should be included in this debate.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 12:01:08 AM »

Winfield, I'm not ignoring you and I fully intend to address your concerns. It just so happens that between moderating two debates, running the Mideast Assembly, and managing my personal life, I have not been able to find the time to adequately respond to this. Please stop blowing this out of proportion and making accusations that have no basis in fact.

Lumine and I agreed to host this debate after Bore and Dkrol asked us to a little less than two weeks ago. This wasn't something we conceived and then invited our favorite candidates to participate in: it evolved out of the desire of two candidates to have a one-on-one dialogue in advance of the election. As BaconBacon never approached either of us about participating in the debate, as he announced his candidacy just as we were putting the finishing touches on the debate format, and as his only contribution to the campaign prior to today has been bacon-flavored toothpaste, Lumine and I assumed that he was simply running a gag campaign. It's as simple as that.

Contrary to what you suggest, setting up a debate is not as simple as setting a date and coming up with some questions. In order for it to be fair, all of the candidates have to agree to the rules, format, and moderators, which necessarily takes a while. I have put a great deal of time and effort into planning this debate, as has Lumine, and I do not appreciate you insinuating that we are part of some mean-spirited conspiracy to deprive Atlasia of bacon-flavored breakfast cereal.

I can't speak for Lumine and Bore, but if BaconBacon can affirm that he will take the debate seriously, rather than simply using it to promote the many virtues of bacon, I would be willing to consider admitting him to the debate.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=214083.25

As you can see here, I have given two serious non-bacon related responses to the questions that have been asked thus far, so I can affirm that I will take the debate seriously.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 01:36:13 AM »

Of course wherever censorship exists, you'll find Lumine's bacon grease-infused fingerprints!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »

I agree with Truman that it's just not the case that this is a nefarious conspiracy against BaconBacon, given the information at the time of the setting up of the debate it is understandable that the moderators wouldn't ask Bacon to join (although, as Truman pointed out he didn't ask either). That said, circumstances change and I think it's pretty clear that Bacon Bacon should be invited to join the debate now.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 08:55:28 AM »

Thank you Speaker Harry S Truman and President bore for your comments.

I am sure Atlasians appreciate the work of Truman and Lumine in organizing and presenting this debate.

It would appear my incessant nattering has achieved the result of having a Presidential debate in which all three Presidential candidates will be participating.

This is good news for the candidates, for Atlasians, and for democracy.

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »

Winfield is an Atlasian hero
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 04:17:35 PM »

Thank you.  You are too kind.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »

Thank you all for the support. I am ready to join the debate the moment Truman and/or Lumine say I can.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »

I have spoken to Truman and we are in agreement that Bacon should be allowed to join the debate, so that should put this matter to rest. Beyond expressing my full agreement at the comments made both by Truman and the President, I'd like to say that should another situation like this arise (regardless of who moderates), it would be far better to actually contact the moderators instead of blowing things out of proportion and making comments that are extremely unfair to both Truman and I.

I get that no harm was meant, but some really abuse hyperboles at times.

Of course wherever censorship exists, you'll find Lumine's bacon grease-infused fingerprints!

Griffin, you ridiculous man.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies