When deciding a issue, is it based on the merits or party label? Answer revealed!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:33:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When deciding a issue, is it based on the merits or party label? Answer revealed!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: When deciding on a issue, what is more important, the party label or the merits?
Party label

The merits of the issue

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: When deciding a issue, is it based on the merits or party label? Answer revealed!  (Read 1351 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
« edited: June 10, 2015, 02:35:58 PM by Torie »

If presented with two plans to address an issue, the details of which are described, in deciding which plan one likes best, what is more important as to how and why people make a decision, the actual content of the plans, or the political party label that is ascribed to each plan?  What do you think makes people tick on this one? The poll is about what you think folks out there do, not what you would do.

After the poll has been up awhile, I will offer up some data on this matter.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:53:39 PM »

The only time I go with party label is if the issue is literally about the party label or the issue is so asinine that I'm willing to let Debbie Wasserman Schultz decide for me.  And that never happens.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:20:38 PM »

I never make my decision on an issue based on a party label, but I imagine it's fairly common among the overall populace given the degree of political apathy there is in America.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:38 PM »

obviously party label, based on the notion that this poll is about how the public at large view things.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 04:32:55 PM »

Because we only have two major parties, I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. Having said that, definitely the merits. There are certainly times when I disagree with the Democrats and wish we had a third or fourth plan/platform option to address the issues that we have. I rarely agree with the Republicans on much of anything, though.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 05:32:08 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2015, 09:07:07 PM by TDAS04 »

I decide based on the merits of the issue, but I tend to agree with one of the two major parties on the issues much of the time.  If you don't know what the issue is, but you know with side supports it, chances are it's a good indication whether you agree with it or not.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »

I think most people tend to vote based on party labels rather than the issue.
It also explains how so many people essentially think inside a box rather than have a more complex diversity of views. People are fed what to believe from some source or another.

Sure some people may look at the merits and just happen to align 90%+ with a party, but I don't think that is the case with most people. We'd probably see a lot more diversity of thought if people ignored political labels.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »

For most of the 20th century, I would say the merits. Today however, it is almost certainly a majority that will not budge from party lines and will not consider anyone else who doesn't fit with their mindset.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 02:22:49 AM »

The merits, of course. But it's incredibly rare that there's any time that the Republicans are better. I guess more tried to fillibuster fast track.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »

Do you prefer kittens or murder?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »

When I talk to people about an issue that hasn't been in the media recently as a political issue, I find most people will look at the merits. However, once the issue has become political, the merits take a back seat to the partisan result. Even though more people claim independent status, fewer people are really tracking an independent line. More common are self-proclaimed independents who usually take a consistent partisan position but have infrequent crossover votes to the other side.

As an aside, I would note that party label matters more among Atlas posters than they might realize. For example, in polls about where one would rather live, items like cost of living and job prospects rarely surface in comments. However, political policies of the location in question frequently do. That's contrary to what drives most relocation, but not so surprising among a group interested enough in politics to post here.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »

When I talk to people about an issue that hasn't been in the media recently as a political issue, I find most people will look at the merits. However, once the issue has become political, the merits take a back seat to the partisan result. Even though more people claim independent status, fewer people are really tracking an independent line. More common are self-proclaimed independents who usually take a consistent partisan position but have infrequent crossover votes to the other side.

As an aside, I would note that party label matters more among Atlas posters than they might realize. For example, in polls about where one would rather live, items like cost of living and job prospects rarely surface in comments. However, political policies of the location in question frequently do. That's contrary to what drives most relocation, but not so surprising among a group interested enough in politics to post here.

I'm happiest living among a bunch of Democrats myself - always have. Tongue
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 11:15:31 AM »

I find a lot of so-called "Independents" insufferable, but that's based on the merits. Tongue
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »

I know some people, when faced with a more nuanced and complicated issue (Charter schools, for example), will wait and see which party takes the "pro" side and which party takes the "against" side.

It's not always "I support this issue because my party does" either. Half the time it's something along the lines of "I'm against this issue, because anything the ____ party supports CAN'T be good for me"
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:56:02 PM »

Those who voted "party" are at least being honest
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 02:33:31 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2015, 02:43:39 PM by Torie »

The cynicism of the grumpy incorrigible out of shape old man is in this case justified, at least per this study. It is probably fairer to say, that most voters on most issues, are hardly experts on them, and thus when in doubt rely on the party label as a short cut to answering a question, where they really have no set opinion on the merits.

So Grumps and 10 others were "right" as to the poll question as of the time of this post, and 29 of you were wrong, you idealists you. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »

Shocker!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 02:58:17 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »

If you vote...

But most Americans would say option two and then wait in line so they could feel self satisfied by performing option one.  Because that's what they get.  A choice between a poopy flavored popsicle and a crunchy turd tempura set.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies