Democracy, taxes and wealth redistribution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:53:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Democracy, taxes and wealth redistribution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes

No

Other -Please explain

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Democracy, taxes and wealth redistribution  (Read 2410 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2005, 12:45:52 PM »

A certain member of this forum is expecting to inherit a very large sum of money in the future. That individual is also an advocate of high taxes on the "rich" (70%) and government redistribution of wealth. Should that person's inheritance be taxed away at a 70% tax rate to be redistributed to other Atlasians?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 12:58:05 PM »

NOOOOOOO!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

No, but neither should anyone else's.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 01:10:36 PM »

No, but it would be some terrific irony.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 05:11:39 PM »

Hey, he supports it himself; I would have no problem with that policy. Wink
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 05:49:52 PM »

The rate is way too high. It should definitely not be higher than the income rate, which is what? 36%? Even the 15% cap gains rate would be appropriate.

Wealth redistribution is as pointless and ephemeral as trickle down economics. Provide opportunity and tools for people to create their own wealth.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »

The rate is way too high. It should definitely not be higher than the income rate, which is what? 36%? Even the 15% cap gains rate would be appropriate.

I think Capital Gains should be taxed at the same rate as other income.  I suppose it is arguable that an inheritance is 'income' in that year for the heir, however I think it would be fair to treat it as something other than income.  Certainly a large exemption of a few million seems reasonable.  In any case, as my friends mom used to say 'you should have such problems!'.

That said most heirs have had to kiss the ass of annoying parents for decades.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Same thing.  Free education, high wages, and a social safety net are the only way the lower classes can improve themselves.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:58:05 PM »

There should be no taxes on inheritance or gifts of any kind.

No exemption is tolerable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 07:09:24 PM »

There should be no taxes on inheritance or gifts of any kind.

No exemption is tolerable.

Intolerable?  What are you going to do about it?

Anyway, a 50% rate above say five or ten million would be perfectly fine.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 07:13:08 PM »

I would obviously hope that, the GOP being in power, they would never accept such a ridiculous compromise. It makes absolutely no sense at all to tax inheritance twice - once as income, a second time as a gift.

If there's going to be a ridiculous beat-the-economy-to- Death Tax, everyone should have to deal with its direct effects.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 07:24:37 PM »

I would obviously hope that, the GOP being in power, they would never accept such a ridiculous compromise. It makes absolutely no sense at all to tax inheritance twice - once as income, a second time as a gift.

If there's going to be a ridiculous beat-the-economy-to- Death Tax, everyone should have to deal with its direct effects.

The GOP won't be in power forever.  Besides, the idea is that the inheritance has nothing to do with the dead person.  It is income to the heir.

Your obsession with double taxation is very silly.  For example if I make a large salary, and then spend part of it to hire a butler, does that mean his salary should not be taxed because the money was 'taxed before'?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 07:26:27 PM »

It shouldn't be taxed again until it is actually used, dipsh**t.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 07:27:23 PM »

It shouldn't be taxed again until it is actually used, dipsh**t.

How is giving it to your son for kissing your ass his whole life different from paying a butler?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 07:30:43 PM »

When it becomes earned income again, there has been use. There has been consumption.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 07:31:24 PM »

Opebo has a bit of a point there.

Income taxes are bad, period. Better to fund the government through sales and excise taxes, user fees, etc.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 07:35:50 PM »

Transfering money is not the same as buying something. The idea is to have incomes taxed once per consumption.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 02:42:36 AM »

Income taxes are bad, period. Better to fund the government through sales and excise taxes, user fees, etc.
Hmm.. NOOOOO!  I oppose heavier sales taxes like the ones proposed by Jim DeMint.  Can you say inflation?
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 05:02:26 AM »

Hmm.. NOOOOO!  I oppose heavier sales taxes like the ones proposed by Jim DeMint.  Can you say inflation?

You realize that the current income tax saps money out of the economy, right?

Plus, unlike some in Congress, i'd accompany my new tax plan with spending cuts - as much as 50% of non-defense spending.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 06:26:31 AM »

When it becomes earned income again, there has been use. There has been consumption.

Sounds pretty vague to me.  Better to just tax it when it passes from one person to another - that is simple and clear.

You realize that the current income tax saps money out of the economy, right?

Plus, unlike some in Congress, i'd accompany my new tax plan with spending cuts - as much as 50% of non-defense spending.

What do you mean the income tax 'saps money out of the economy'?  What rot - the money is immediately spent!  On tanks and planes (and in an ideal world the poor) instead of mansions and yachts, but it is very much still in the economy.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »

Sounds pretty vague to me.  Better to just tax it when it passes from one person to another - that is simple and clear.

There's nothing vague about it at all. Tax earned income, and earned income only. That is the mark of consumption.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 02:07:26 PM »

There's nothing vague about it at all. Tax earned income, and earned income only. That is the mark of consumption.

But what does 'earned' mean?  Did you 'earn' it if you bought low and sold high?  Of course you did.  Do heirs earn their inheritance by kissing parental ass?  Of course they do.  No, there is no meaningful distinction between capital gains and wages, or even inheritance for that matter.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 02:22:03 PM »

It means someone is doing something. It means there is consumption.

Under your patently ridiculous system, if I give someone $2,000 for nothing, he should have to charge me 4% in sales tax.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 02:29:19 PM »

Under your patently ridiculous system, if I give someone $2,000 for nothing, he should have to charge me 4% in sales tax.

Well, I personally do not like the sales tax.  I prefer income taxes.  But certainly if you give someone $2,000 for nothing, you should be charged sales tax, if one exists, and particularly he should be charged income tax.

Otherwise  you'ld just get people claiming wages and capital gains were 'gifts'.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »

I think Capital Gains should be taxed at the same rate as other income.  I suppose it is arguable that an inheritance is 'income' in that year for the heir, however I think it would be fair to treat it as something other than income.  Certainly a large exemption of a few million seems reasonable.  In any case, as my friends mom used to say 'you should have such problems!'.

That said most heirs have had to kiss the ass of annoying parents for decades.

Tough job but somebody's got to do it.

Maybe its almost as difficult as  working for a living.... Nahhh!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 02:35:07 PM »

Well, I personally do not like the sales tax.  I prefer income taxes.  But certainly if you give someone $2,000 for nothing, you should be charged sales tax, if one exists, and particularly he should be charged income tax.

Otherwise  you'ld just get people claiming wages and capital gains were 'gifts'.

That's what you call fraud, obviously.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies