Bush Worshiping
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:01:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush Worshiping
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bush Worshiping  (Read 2120 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:38:42 PM »
« edited: May 04, 2005, 03:53:19 PM by Bono »

Patriotism Does Not Mean Love Of Big Government Or Support,
by Chuck Baldwin

Constitution Party 2004 Vice-Presidential Candidate

A strange metamorphosis has taken place in America, especially among conservatives. From its original definition of love of country, especially love for the founding principles of the country, patriotism has morphed into a love for bigger and bigger government. It seems that to most conservatives today, if anyone dares speak against any federal program or initiative, he or she is categorized as being unpatriotic or even ungodly. Many conservatives even equate a person's support or lack thereof for our President as being a major determinant of his or her spirituality.

However, this over-infatuation with a president, any president, is diametrically opposed to the principles upon which this country was built! In fact, America was established upon a deep and (until now) abiding distrust of governmental leaders.

Thomas Paine summarized the founding spirit when he said in 1791, "The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from the [federal] government." Our first President, George Washington agreed. He said, "Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Now, all of that has changed. Today's conservatives define patriotism as being nothing short of all out, unquestioned loyalty to G. W. Bush, regardless of how improper or unconstitutional his proposals and policies might be.

Furthermore, I personally know scores of preachers who actually believe that anyone who dares to so much as question President Bush is not only unpatriotic but is also in danger of hell-fire. Their fanatical loyalty to Bush runs so deep that they are willing, and even eager, to break lifelong friendships with those who do not share their unquestioned support for the man. Yet, many of George Bush's policies are potentially catastrophic!

For example, every American citizen, especially conservatives, should be alarmed at Bush's willingness to dismantle constitutional safeguards of our liberties via police state-style provisions contained in the Patriot Act. They should be pressuring their members of Congress to not only take the Patriot Act off the law books, but also pressuring them to expunge the Stalin-style Department of Homeland Security and the Nazi-like office of National Intelligence Director. Yet, because G.W. Bush is the chief promoter of these policies and agencies, they dare not lift so much as a whimper of protest.

Furthermore, the American people, especially conservatives, should be doing everything in their power to resist Bush's amnesty for illegal aliens program! The potential for economic hardship and even terrorism due to Bush's amnesty proposals cannot be overstated! Yet once again, since Bush is behind it, conservatives will say nary a word against it.

The fact is, the federal government has grown in both size and scope exponentially since G.W. Bush became president. The federal government is now bigger than ever, more intrusive than ever, and more restrictive than ever. And there is no relief in site.

However, instead of resisting the federal government's explosive growth and increasing encroachment upon our liberties, today's conservatives aggressively support and promote said growth and encroachment. Even more disgusting is that they do this under the rubric of patriotism.

Conservatives need to re-familiarize themselves with the words of President Theodore Roosevelt when he said, "Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official, save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country. In either event, it is unpatriotic not to tell the truth, whether about the president or anyone else."

Furthermore, conservatives need to remember the words of President Ronald Reagan when he said, "Government is not the solution to the problem; government is the problem."

No, Martha, historic patriotism does not include robotic support for a president or hypnotic support for big government. Instead, traditional patriotism means support for the fundamental principles upon which America was originally founded: personal liberty, federalism, and self government. Political leaders (regardless of party) who support and promote those principles deserve our support. Political leaders (regardless of party) who do not support and promote those principles deserve not our support. Now, that's patriotism!

© Chuck Baldwin

www.chuckbaldwinlive.com.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 02:58:11 PM »

Is this why your avatar is no longer blue? The constitution party would probably be my second choice after the LP.

David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 03:37:48 PM »

Ah yes, so he does.

BTW There is an interesting quiz at the referenced website. Issues and History quiz. http://www.constitution-party.org/news.php?aid=193]Patriotism%20Does%20Not%20Mean%20Love%20Of%20Big%20Government%20Or%20Support

Shame on me. I only  got 6 out of 10 the first time and 9 of 10 the second.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 03:40:10 PM »

Ah yes, so he does.

BTW There is an interesting quiz at the referenced website. Issues and History quiz. http://www.constitution-party.org/news.php?aid=193]Patriotism%20Does%20Not%20Mean%20Love%20Of%20Big%20Government%20Or%20Support

I don't see the quiz. Where do I click?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 03:44:23 PM »

I was correct that the GOP is simply a personality-cult centered around Bush.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »

George W. Bush                    62,040,610 votes
Chuck Baldwin (Peroutka)          144,498 votes

'Nuff said.

Let me know when the worthless reprobates break two-tenths of a perecentage point.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »

'Nuff said.

Let me know when the worthless reprobates break two-tenths of a perecentage point.

well said don!

the constitution party=hate group.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »

'Nuff said.

So that preculdes the man from having an opinion?
Exactly the kind of republican mindset that drove me away.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 04:10:47 PM »

If you are of the opinion that America was better off in the 18th century than it is today... then that precludes me from taking such opinions seriously.

'Nuff said.

So that preculdes the man from having an opinion?
Exactly the kind of republican mindset that drove me away.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 04:14:36 PM »

The government was. Obviously America was not.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 04:18:06 PM »

*bangs head against desk*

I don't think the Government was better when it tolerated slavery, lacked any social safety net, and lacked any ability to enforce basic human rights.

The government was. Obviously America was not.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 04:21:53 PM »

The title of this thread is hilarious! Wink
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 04:32:13 PM »

I don't think the Government was better when it tolerated slavery, lacked any social safety net, and lacked any ability to enforce basic human rights.

The federal government still can't enforce basic human rights (thankfully!). The states could and can.

The lack of social safety net was obviously one of the best things about the time period. I would very much like to bring about such times again.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2005, 04:35:30 PM »

You disturb me, sir.

The federal government still can't enforce basic human rights (thankfully!). The states could and can.

The lack of social safety net was obviously one of the best things about the time period. I would very much like to bring about such times again.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2005, 04:41:13 PM »

I can certainly see the point of this - poor people would do anything for next to nothing if they were that desperate - which is beneficial to those of us who don't like to hear the word 'no' when purchasing services.  On the other hand 'anything' could include mugging you, murdering you in your mansion, or Marxist revolution, not just BJs and buttsex.

And never forget, it is just possible that every once in a while a member of the elite such as you or I might fall through the class heirarchy and end up starving down there with the rest of them. 
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »

Ah yes, so he does.

Right side just below "Join club 2000"
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2005, 04:44:14 PM »

Yeah, poor people would do anything - like get a ing job.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2005, 04:46:24 PM »

Yeah, poor people would do anything - like get a g job.

Yes, that is what I was talking about in my post.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »

There are millions of people who are employed but still under the poverty line. 

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

Ah yes, so he does.

Right side just below "Join club 2000"

Thanks. Question 7 is wrong, Question 3 a matter of semantics.

I got all but question 8 "correct" according to them.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 10:48:04 PM »

Very true.  Working full time at minimum wage will get you a whopping 10,712 in gross income.  A quick and dirty estimation for various withholdings at low wages is typically 22%, leaving you with a whole 8355 a year, or a little under $700 a month to live on.  (SSI,SDI,FICA, etc really add up. It's not just income tax that gets taken out).

Now, maybe for some of the kids here, who have all the necessities of life provided to them by their parents that might seem a decent chunk of change.   But it really isn't.  Here is SoCal you'ld be incredibly lucky to find a place to rent for less than 700/mo - to say nothing of food, utilities, transportation, and so forth.  It's not even enough to make ends meet on a highly spartan lifestyle, heaven help you if you want to get new clothes, catch a movie, or try and improve your lot in life with an extended education.

I think poor Philip is going to be in for quite a rude awakening when he enters the real world.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 11:04:21 PM »

I got 8 out of 10, and I'm not a Libertarian. Tongue
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 11:19:47 PM »

I got 8 out of 10, and I'm not a Libertarian. Tongue
Well good for you and shame on me. ( Darned smarty pants kid)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »

Ah yes, so he does.

Well I got a 7 my first try...

Some of the questions are obvious, the bias of those crackheads easily gave a couple away!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 02:22:14 AM »

And that is prompet by government created inflation which precludes them from buying anything worth anything with their money.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies