Is Kasich Just a Beltway Candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:57:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Kasich Just a Beltway Candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is Kasich Just a Beltway Candidate?  (Read 2505 times)
oeoyeleye
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:48:40 AM »

I think, yes. Once he announces he'll fail to catch fire and the media will forget they ever liked him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »

Could be. Fred Thompson and Tim Pawlenty also looked great on paper.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 07:28:07 AM »

YES! A thousand times, yes! He will gain no traction outside of the media looking for a moderate hero.

I would not be surprised if on stage at a debate, he literally ripped off his face to reveal it's just a mask, and he is really Mitch Daniels.
Gallium
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:32:46 AM »

He's Mark Halperin's favorite candidate. Take that as you will.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »

No.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »

Yes
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 09:51:43 AM »

Huntsman without the redeeming features
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:05:02 AM »

I definitely see it. I mean it's possible that he breaks out of that role - he's a better team player than Jon Huntsman - but boy does he sound like he wants to go down easy street every time he's interviewed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 04:11:58 PM »

Kasich makes way more sense as a VP.
oeoyeleye
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:20:14 PM »

I just don't see where his place is. He isn't a good fit for Iowa. I could see him doing well in New Hampshire but I don't think he's made enough contacts on the state or started early enough. He isn't particularly fit for SC or Nevada. If he doesn't do well in one of these states, he's toast. If he does start to gain fire, ad after ad will eviscerate him for Medicaid expansion, and I don't think any of the other candidates will rush to his defense. He'd be an excellent VP pick, but Governor Kasich doesn't strike me as someone who wants to be Vice President.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »

Yes, he's the Pawlenty of this cycle. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 10:48:25 PM »

Pataki is more of a Pawlenty than even Pawlenty himself.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 10:52:49 PM »

Most likely, but he could get traction if other mainstream candidates implode.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 11:32:50 PM »

He's far more experienced than Pawlenty.  He's a Governor of a more crucial swing state, he's got a case for having the best qualifications to be President of the whole crowd that's running (and that includes Jeb Bush).  He's the most electable Republican; it's a matter of getting GOP primary voters to see this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:56 AM »

In 2006, Romney was a practical nobody with names like Rudy, McCain, Allen, Frist and and others getting far more attention.

A couple of good debate performances and early organizing in Iowa and NH and by August 2007, nationally the game was Rudy and Fred in meaningless national polls, whilst both were trailing Romney in IA and NH.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 01:41:00 AM »

Huntsman didn't even have that many redeeming features anyway.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:11 AM »

In 2006, Romney was a practical nobody with names like Rudy, McCain, Allen, Frist and and others getting far more attention.

A couple of good debate performances and early organizing in Iowa and NH and by August 2007, nationally the game was Rudy and Fred in meaningless national polls, whilst both were trailing Romney in IA and NH.

Allen and Frist didn't run in 2006.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 06:20:43 AM »

Pretty much.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 11:44:49 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »

Yeah, like most GOP govs that have stepped out of their home state like Gov Romney, Perry, Walker, and Jeb.

They try to say government is the problem, not the solution. And try to put states rights as a one size fits all.

Like no health insurance for needy, but expand medicaid. That Kasich will be hit on.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 12:45:38 PM »

Always smarmy, never change. His post is easy to understand if you aren't just looking to be a douche.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

Always smarmy, never change. His post is easy to understand if you aren't just looking to be a douche.

I'm going to defend Landslide Lyndon here.  Romney was also getting overshadowed by these other people but then half of them didn't run? What does that have to do with Kasich? There's no way Romney's polling and fundraising was as far behind as Kasich's are now.

Pawlenty would probably have been the nominee if he hadn't dropped out, and maybe won.

I've been slow to warm up to this but it does seem like the best comparison.

I just don't see where his place is. He isn't a good fit for Iowa. I could see him doing well in New Hampshire but I don't think he's made enough contacts on the state or started early enough. He isn't particularly fit for SC or Nevada. If he doesn't do well in one of these states, he's toast. If he does start to gain fire, ad after ad will eviscerate him for Medicaid expansion, and I don't think any of the other candidates will rush to his defense. He'd be an excellent VP pick, but Governor Kasich doesn't strike me as someone who wants to be Vice President.

Agree this. New Hampshire is maybe an opening for him but polls tell us very little and their history is confusing. Pat Buchanan and John McCain won presidential primaries 4 years apart, Kelly Ayotte and Ovide LaMontagne statewide primaries 2 years apart. And as long as Bush is a frontrunner, Kasich is likely to struggle like Huntsman against Romney.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 05:47:08 PM »

I'm going to defend Landslide Lyndon here.  Romney was also getting overshadowed by these other people but then half of them didn't run? What does that have to do with Kasich? There's no way Romney's polling and fundraising was as far behind as Kasich's are now.

Pawlenty would probably have been the nominee if he hadn't dropped out, and maybe won.

Yeah, and so would Mitch Daniels Roll Eyes
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2015, 06:43:43 PM by Mister Mets »

I think he has tremendous growth potential.

He's arguably the most experienced 2016 candidate as a big-state Governor who served in the congressional leadership (six years as House Budget committee chairman.) And by 2016 candidates, I'm including Hillary.

He's been a cable TV host, so I'm guessing he can do pretty well on the stump, and handle himself well on the media.

He just won reelection in a landslide in a state Republicans need to flip.

There isn't significant opposition to him, in the sense that there aren't that many in the party who would be outraged if he got the nomination. He's got more gravitas than Walker, and less baggage than Jeb.

It's possible there won't be an opening for Kasich if Jeb rebounds, Walker handles himself well, or Romney decides to run. But he definitely has a shot.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »

I think he has tremendous growth potential.

He's arguably the most experienced 2016 candidate as a big-state Governor who served in the congressional leadership (six years as House Budget committee chairman.) And by 2016 candidates, I'm including Hillary.

He's been a cable TV host, so I'm guessing he can do pretty well on the stump, and handle himself well on the media.

He just won reelection in a landslide in a state Republicans need to flip.

There isn't significant opposition to him, in the sense that there aren't that many in the party who would be outraged if he got the nomination. He's got more gravitas than Walker, and less baggage than Jeb.

It's possible there won't be an opening for Kasich if Jeb rebounds, Walker handles himself well, or Romney decides to run. But he definitely has a shot.

I think it's arguable that Kasich is the "best qualified" candidate the GOP has, especially if you throw the ability to beat the Democrats into the mix.

Kasich, by the way, has been beating Democrats from day one.  In 1982, a bad Republican year, he upset Rep. Bob Shamansky (D-OH) in a Columbus-based district.  Shamansky had been elected in the 1980 Reagan year, so he wasn't a slouch.

From an electability plane, Kasich looks better by the day.  His qualifications reinforce his electability, and not the other way around.  These are good things in finding a winning Presidential candidate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies